Yorkie with Possible Pyometra.

Breed: Yorkshire Terrier
have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She has a dry nose and elevated body temp. She hasn't been spade and shows signs of being in heat. I think she just went through that a few weeks ago? My vet told me several years ago that she should be altered if we didn't plan to breed her?! She has vomited and had watery movements the 1st day. The last 2 days she's been sleeping nd limp. I think being the dramatic girl she is may be a factor?.. I'm looking forward to the response. Best Wishes to All! Mom and Dad of Five Heaven Sent Creatures in Reno ....

I am so sorry to hear that Zoe is not feeling well.

I'm wondering if Zoe may have something called a pyometra. This is a serious infection in the uterus. It usually follows a heat cycle by about 1-2 months.

This type of infection is quite serious because the type of bacteria that are present in the uterus during the infection can produce toxins that make a dog feel extremely sick. The vomiting and diarrhea and lethargy can all go along with pyometra.

Sometimes with a pyometra we will see a discharge from the vaginal area that is the color of tomato soup. Other times, if the cervix remains closed there may be no discharge.

It is also possible that there is something else going on. Is she up to date on vaccines? If not then I would be concerned about parvo virus.

It is also possible that she has pancreatitis which is usually the result of eating something fatty. Or she could have gastritis which is usually from eating something a little unusual to her system.

In any case, the symptoms that you have described have me really concerned and I think that she should see a vet. If this is possibly a pyometra (uterus infection) it may even be worthwhile to take her to an emergency vet tonight. They will do a good exam and if they are suspicious of pyometra then they will talk about doing emergency surgery.

In the meantime, until you can get to a vet you can try encouraging her to drink. If you can get some unsweetened pedialyte (from the pharmacy) into her then this may help with any dehydration that is possibly there.

I really hope that she is ok!

God Bless You All. I was able to retrieve Dr. Marie's response after your wonderful staff cut, pasted and re-sent. You were right on. Zoe did have pyometra and went to immediate surgery Saturday 09/25 at 2pm. Lots of infection in the uterus and very dehydrated. They kept her Saturday night and also this evening. You suggested immediate response. I'm sure it was user error on my part being unable to recieve the 15 minute answer. Thank you for your concern and reply. Although the bill will be $800 to $1000 ... I'm very thankful we took her in as you suggested. Best Wishes to All!

Oh, I am so glad to hear that Zoe was able to have surgery. It sounds like she will be ok!

I'm very sorry you had trouble receiving your answer. We always have a 100% guarantee, so if you would like a refund just let us know.

God bless you too and let's hope Zoe makes a speedy recovery!

Sneezing dog. I have two yorkiepoo's that were around a dog that had distemper parvo ( he was not... (11687 views)

Boyfriend doesn't want to neuter dog. My boyfriend and I are arguing about whether to get our dog neutered. He is a pit... (9629 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (5005 views)

Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath. Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down... (103095 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (89002 views)

Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis. Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on... (5669 views)

Possible chyletiella. My eleven week old pup is cover from nose to tail in what looks like white dandruff.... (5283 views)

Rash on belly. My 15 month old pit bull/great dane mix has recently started developing a "bruise"... (49218 views)

Can dogs drink tea? Can dogs drink tea? I have been told by quite a few people that it helps puppies to... (54227 views)

Black dots in dog's ear. We recently realised there are black sesame seed like black dots in one of my dog's... (10458 views)