Cat is very quiet.

Breed: Domestic Shorthair
My cat is a neutered male who has just turned two years old. He is an indoor/outdoor cat and is up to date on all his vaccines - including Rabies & Luekemia. Up until a month ago he was a very social and active cat - he loved to hunt (especially rodents - mice, voles, moles). He was never a lap kitty, but could be very persistent when he wanted love on a daily basis - head butting, etc.

About a month ago, Prince changed. He rarely wants to go outside. When he does go outside, he won't jump over the fence or even crawl under the gate to get to the green space. He doesn't want to be pet - ever. We originally thought he might have hurt his back because he's moving slowly and prefers just to sleep on my daughter's top bunk. However, it's been a month so we took him to the vet.

His bloodwork came back fine - white blood cell count within normal range. His x-rays also came back okay showing no damage to his spine or joints. The vet has said that Prince is not behaving like an animal in pain so with no issues showing on the x-rays he didn't prescribe any pain pills.

The vet has actually now told us that it's just seasonal allergies and maybe asthma.

I've owned cats my whole life (40 years) and I have never seen allergies or even asthma manifest like this. Allergies have always included skin issues or sneezing, etc. and Ashtma has always included coughing, hacking, or wheezing.

This just doesn't "feel" right to me. My husband thinks I'm making a big deal out of nothing, but I'm really worried. It's just such a drastic change in his personality. Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

Hmmm...this is an interesting situation. When I have an owner describe a drastic change in attitude like this I do feel that there is usually a medical reason for it.

It's good that his tests have come back as normal...but then that is frustrating!

To me, what you have described certainly could be a sign of pain. Cats will do all they can to hide their pain. Often though they will just decrease their activity. The logic is, "If it hurts to move, then I'll just move less."

If this were my case I would likely try a one to two week course of pain medication and see if this makes a difference. One of the problems though is that we don't have a pain medication for cats that is actually licensed for use for more than a few days. But, I would feel very comfortable using something like Metacam at a low dose. You may want to ask your vet if they would be willing to prescribe a short course of pain medication just to see if that makes a difference.

Cats can get asthma, but they almost always cough when they have asthma. What you have described doesn't sound like allergies at all.

It's not a bad idea to have a fecal exam done to look for parasites. The symptoms are not typical, but given that he hunts and goes outside, this is not a bad idea.

I'm afraid I don't have any other answers for you. If he doesn't improve after the pain medication another thing you could do is to ask for a referral to see an internal medicine specialist. These vets deal with the unusual cases that the regular vets haven't been able to figure out.

I hope he feels better soon!

Itchy dog. I had noticed the oldest one of my dogs, Chloe, chewing and itching a little more... (49934 views)

Sick pregnant cat. hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted... (11078 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (20727 views)

Does my cat have glaucoma? About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing that Mietzi's right pupil would always stay... (7394 views)

Sick puppy. Our Westie puppy, Minnie, is 12 weeks old today. We got her 23 days ago. From Day... (12147 views)

Dog eating dirt. My dog consumes grass and now wants to eat dirt when outside exercising despite a... (18758 views)

Orange urine and trouble walking. my dog is a rottweiler not sure if he is a cross or not and unsure off the age but... (9823 views)

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (8727 views)

Recovery from FCE. Our dog was diagnosed with FCE about two months ago, I have been noticing some... (11558 views)

Lentigo on a daschund. Dear Dr. Marie, I just recently discovered these black dots on my dogs chest when... (40347 views)