Benadryl for dogs

Breed: Golden Retriever
How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a bee sting. He was outside this afternoon and now his face is quite swollen.

If this is ok, what is the dosage of Benadryl that I can give him? Also, is it safe to do so?

I'm not sure if I should go to the vet's right away. They are closed today and it will cost a lot for an emergency.

I'm sorry to hear that your dog is possibly having an allergic reaction!

Benadryl is generally safe to give to dogs. The dosage of Benadryl to give is 1 mg per pound. Most Benadryl tablets are 25 mg so you would give 1 tablet to a 25 lb dog or 2 to a 50 lb dog. It will last for about 8 hours.

The dosage of Benadryl tends to be a lot higher for dogs when compared to humans. People often want to give liquid children's Benadryl to dogs, but this is often not enough.

There are not many side effects when giving Benadryl to dogs but some dogs can get a little sedated.

Benadryl is an antihistamine and if this truly is an allergic reaction to a bee sting then you should notice it helping within 10-20 minutes. However, there are other things that can cause a swollen face. Something like a tooth abscess could do this as well, but this is less likely.

Some allergic reactions can be more severe and need more than Benadryl. In some cases the vet will need to give an injection of steroid, antihistamine, or even epinephrine.

If a dog has an allergic reaction, here are some of the things which would make me want to take him in to the vet:
  • Extreme discomfort

• Any difficulty breathing

• A blue discoloration on the gums or face

• If things are not improving within 30 minutes

As always, trust your gut judgement. If your dog is alert and happy then it's ok to give the Benadryl a try. But, if you feel like he is quite upset then it's always better to be safe than sorry and have the vet take a look.

Hope things work out ok!

Dog ate maxi pad. 10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings)... (14956 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (11007 views)

Can't walk, dehydrated puppy. My puppy is 3 months old. She was left at home with her dogsitter but was obviously... (12941 views)

Infection in neuter incision? My dog got neutered 10 days ago (Aug 9th) and in a distracted moment he licked the... (39323 views)

Kidney disease in a cat. First of all I am asking you because I am under extreme financial constraints right... (15971 views)

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (11499 views)

Gunky eyes in kittens. Hello, We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we... (6776 views)

Urinating in the house. I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is... (11116 views)

Both dogs having seizures I have 2 dogs. Molly the mixbreed started acting strange about a week ago. not... (8111 views)

Vomiting due to virus? Hello Dr.Marie. Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some... (12978 views)