Benadryl for dogs

Breed: Golden Retriever
How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a bee sting. He was outside this afternoon and now his face is quite swollen.

If this is ok, what is the dosage of Benadryl that I can give him? Also, is it safe to do so?

I'm not sure if I should go to the vet's right away. They are closed today and it will cost a lot for an emergency.

I'm sorry to hear that your dog is possibly having an allergic reaction!

Benadryl is generally safe to give to dogs. The dosage of Benadryl to give is 1 mg per pound. Most Benadryl tablets are 25 mg so you would give 1 tablet to a 25 lb dog or 2 to a 50 lb dog. It will last for about 8 hours.

The dosage of Benadryl tends to be a lot higher for dogs when compared to humans. People often want to give liquid children's Benadryl to dogs, but this is often not enough.

There are not many side effects when giving Benadryl to dogs but some dogs can get a little sedated.

Benadryl is an antihistamine and if this truly is an allergic reaction to a bee sting then you should notice it helping within 10-20 minutes. However, there are other things that can cause a swollen face. Something like a tooth abscess could do this as well, but this is less likely.

Some allergic reactions can be more severe and need more than Benadryl. In some cases the vet will need to give an injection of steroid, antihistamine, or even epinephrine.

If a dog has an allergic reaction, here are some of the things which would make me want to take him in to the vet:
  • Extreme discomfort

• Any difficulty breathing

• A blue discoloration on the gums or face

• If things are not improving within 30 minutes

As always, trust your gut judgement. If your dog is alert and happy then it's ok to give the Benadryl a try. But, if you feel like he is quite upset then it's always better to be safe than sorry and have the vet take a look.

Hope things work out ok!

Why is my hamster biting me? My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on... (9752 views)

Cat puts her paw on my face. Why does my cat Bruski always put her paw on my face when shes sleeping shell keep... (21086 views)

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (28952 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (9710 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (3601 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (8520 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (7785 views)

Dog's baby teeth not out. Hi Dr Marie, Happy Holidays to you. I have a question. I don't think this is a... (11557 views)

Dog inhaled bleach. Our dog is having trouble breathing after inhaling Clorox. It was accidental my... (40382 views)

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (24347 views)