Benadryl for dogs

Breed: Golden Retriever
How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a bee sting. He was outside this afternoon and now his face is quite swollen.

If this is ok, what is the dosage of Benadryl that I can give him? Also, is it safe to do so?

I'm not sure if I should go to the vet's right away. They are closed today and it will cost a lot for an emergency.

I'm sorry to hear that your dog is possibly having an allergic reaction!

Benadryl is generally safe to give to dogs. The dosage of Benadryl to give is 1 mg per pound. Most Benadryl tablets are 25 mg so you would give 1 tablet to a 25 lb dog or 2 to a 50 lb dog. It will last for about 8 hours.

The dosage of Benadryl tends to be a lot higher for dogs when compared to humans. People often want to give liquid children's Benadryl to dogs, but this is often not enough.

There are not many side effects when giving Benadryl to dogs but some dogs can get a little sedated.

Benadryl is an antihistamine and if this truly is an allergic reaction to a bee sting then you should notice it helping within 10-20 minutes. However, there are other things that can cause a swollen face. Something like a tooth abscess could do this as well, but this is less likely.

Some allergic reactions can be more severe and need more than Benadryl. In some cases the vet will need to give an injection of steroid, antihistamine, or even epinephrine.

If a dog has an allergic reaction, here are some of the things which would make me want to take him in to the vet:
  • Extreme discomfort

• Any difficulty breathing

• A blue discoloration on the gums or face

• If things are not improving within 30 minutes

As always, trust your gut judgement. If your dog is alert and happy then it's ok to give the Benadryl a try. But, if you feel like he is quite upset then it's always better to be safe than sorry and have the vet take a look.

Hope things work out ok!

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (12919 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (15460 views)

Puppy has a broken leg. Dear Marie, I have 9 weeks old Pomeranian. She broke her right front leg. She is... (43089 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (38797 views)

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (21097 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (10580 views)

How does a vet put a dog to sleep? i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in... (20065 views)

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (10541 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (38733 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (30390 views)