Benadryl for dogs

Breed: Golden Retriever
How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a bee sting. He was outside this afternoon and now his face is quite swollen.

If this is ok, what is the dosage of Benadryl that I can give him? Also, is it safe to do so?

I'm not sure if I should go to the vet's right away. They are closed today and it will cost a lot for an emergency.

I'm sorry to hear that your dog is possibly having an allergic reaction!

Benadryl is generally safe to give to dogs. The dosage of Benadryl to give is 1 mg per pound. Most Benadryl tablets are 25 mg so you would give 1 tablet to a 25 lb dog or 2 to a 50 lb dog. It will last for about 8 hours.

The dosage of Benadryl tends to be a lot higher for dogs when compared to humans. People often want to give liquid children's Benadryl to dogs, but this is often not enough.

There are not many side effects when giving Benadryl to dogs but some dogs can get a little sedated.

Benadryl is an antihistamine and if this truly is an allergic reaction to a bee sting then you should notice it helping within 10-20 minutes. However, there are other things that can cause a swollen face. Something like a tooth abscess could do this as well, but this is less likely.

Some allergic reactions can be more severe and need more than Benadryl. In some cases the vet will need to give an injection of steroid, antihistamine, or even epinephrine.

If a dog has an allergic reaction, here are some of the things which would make me want to take him in to the vet:
  • Extreme discomfort

• Any difficulty breathing

• A blue discoloration on the gums or face

• If things are not improving within 30 minutes

As always, trust your gut judgement. If your dog is alert and happy then it's ok to give the Benadryl a try. But, if you feel like he is quite upset then it's always better to be safe than sorry and have the vet take a look.

Hope things work out ok!

Why did my dog die? I have a query re. cause of death in older dog. She was a Yorkshire Terrier,... (30080 views)

Is my dog pregnant? hi i have mated my yorkshire terrier last thursday she mated for 20 minutes and tied... (15078 views)

Pass away at home? Potter is almost 13. About 4 months ago he was diagnosed with diabetes and we... (8975 views)

Liver shunt surgery. Recently I found out that the kitten I adopted a few months ago has a Portosystemic... (8541 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (69010 views)

Is ketoconazole safe? Hi. My 6 y/o Papillon has suffered fron skin problems his whole life. I've been told... (5387 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (6615 views)

Vomiting lethargic puppy. my dog is not wanting to eat at all and is just laying around she has vomited a few... (44328 views)

Pitbull with rash Mister has been treated all his life for a skin rash he has. Before this year he... (11210 views)

Becoming a veterinary assistant? I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches... (5305 views)