Staggering Rottweiler

Breed: Rottweiler mix
I have a nine month old female rottweiler mix. She is eating nutro max dog food. She woke up this morning with red puffy eyes and staggering. This happened once before a few weeks ago, but it went away in a couple of hours. She looks and acts like she got into acepromazine, but all of our ace is accounted for, as well as all flea meds and other medication. As I said, this happened a few weeks ago, but there do not appear to be any common denominators between the two instances. She is lethargic, and tried to jump up on the bed with me this morning, which she hasn't done since the first night we brought her home seven months ago. When she got up to go out this morning, she was moving better after she got moving, but the steps gave her trouble getting back in the house. Once in the house, she started wobbling again. The only two times I have seen this are in the morning.

Sorry to hear that Willow is having these problems. This is a tough situation to try to figure out over the internet.

My first thought was that she could have been stung by a bee or wasp and is now having an allergic reaction. It's not typical though. If this is the case she will benefit from benadryl tablets given at 1 mg/lb.

I have seen similar things with dogs who have gotten into recreational drugs such as marijuana. The eyes would not necessarily be puffy, but could be red.

If this were a small dog I would wonder about a serious liver problem called a hepatic shunt, but this is quite uncommon in larger dogs.

It sounds like it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at her and do some basic blood work. I hope she's oK!

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (25371 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis? Repeat Customer: Hi Dr, I spoke to you last Friday (through email) week... (18102 views)

Kitten was hit by a car. Hello. I would really appreciate if you could help with this situation. My kitten... (12174 views)

Cat bitten by dog. My cat recently got bit by a dog. he has a huge hole on his left leg kind of toward... (9311 views)

Should tumor be removed? Hello there. My dog has a hard lump on his hind leg, which is about the size of a... (8058 views)

Scrubbing Bubbles toxic? My Toulouse is a male. I discovered one day that after I would exit the shower &... (27330 views)

Licking feet. My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them... (15204 views)

Boxer grinding teeth. my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this... (56913 views)

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (8395 views)

Pregnancy test for dogs? How can I tell if my dog is pregnant? She was with a male dog yesterday and I think... (21864 views)