Staggering Rottweiler

Breed: Rottweiler mix
I have a nine month old female rottweiler mix. She is eating nutro max dog food. She woke up this morning with red puffy eyes and staggering. This happened once before a few weeks ago, but it went away in a couple of hours. She looks and acts like she got into acepromazine, but all of our ace is accounted for, as well as all flea meds and other medication. As I said, this happened a few weeks ago, but there do not appear to be any common denominators between the two instances. She is lethargic, and tried to jump up on the bed with me this morning, which she hasn't done since the first night we brought her home seven months ago. When she got up to go out this morning, she was moving better after she got moving, but the steps gave her trouble getting back in the house. Once in the house, she started wobbling again. The only two times I have seen this are in the morning.

Sorry to hear that Willow is having these problems. This is a tough situation to try to figure out over the internet.

My first thought was that she could have been stung by a bee or wasp and is now having an allergic reaction. It's not typical though. If this is the case she will benefit from benadryl tablets given at 1 mg/lb.

I have seen similar things with dogs who have gotten into recreational drugs such as marijuana. The eyes would not necessarily be puffy, but could be red.

If this were a small dog I would wonder about a serious liver problem called a hepatic shunt, but this is quite uncommon in larger dogs.

It sounds like it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at her and do some basic blood work. I hope she's oK!

Spay older dog? Hi Vet My dog is 9 years old & has never been mated. She is healthy & does not have... (9715 views)

Click in dog's elbow. Hi Dr. I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it.... (12590 views)

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (7423 views)

Recall on Hill's food? My cat got I'll suddenly three weeks ago. Committing, lethargy, diarrhea , lack of... (4975 views)

Swollen ear with pus. my dogs ear has suddenly become really swollen with what seems like puss it is very... (8722 views)

Frequent urination in puppy. Dr. Marie, We have a brand new 7 week old bullmastiff female, named June...I have... (25697 views)

Vomiting pregnant cat. hello dr.vet my cat was with a male 2 weeks ago yesterday she started to vomit 5... (6289 views)

Cat with hyperthyroidism. Hi again! I spoke to you last week regarding the bad behavior of my cat. She has... (22360 views)

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (11464 views)

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (29737 views)