Staggering Rottweiler

Breed: Rottweiler mix
I have a nine month old female rottweiler mix. She is eating nutro max dog food. She woke up this morning with red puffy eyes and staggering. This happened once before a few weeks ago, but it went away in a couple of hours. She looks and acts like she got into acepromazine, but all of our ace is accounted for, as well as all flea meds and other medication. As I said, this happened a few weeks ago, but there do not appear to be any common denominators between the two instances. She is lethargic, and tried to jump up on the bed with me this morning, which she hasn't done since the first night we brought her home seven months ago. When she got up to go out this morning, she was moving better after she got moving, but the steps gave her trouble getting back in the house. Once in the house, she started wobbling again. The only two times I have seen this are in the morning.

Sorry to hear that Willow is having these problems. This is a tough situation to try to figure out over the internet.

My first thought was that she could have been stung by a bee or wasp and is now having an allergic reaction. It's not typical though. If this is the case she will benefit from benadryl tablets given at 1 mg/lb.

I have seen similar things with dogs who have gotten into recreational drugs such as marijuana. The eyes would not necessarily be puffy, but could be red.

If this were a small dog I would wonder about a serious liver problem called a hepatic shunt, but this is quite uncommon in larger dogs.

It sounds like it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at her and do some basic blood work. I hope she's oK!

Anal gland problems. Hello. I am a veterinary assistant and I am having an issue with my Cane Corso's... (7659 views)

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (11908 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (5734 views)

Aggressive cat. I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and... (8356 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (7303 views)

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (17587 views)

Does fampridine help with spinal cord trauma? Has there been any success, or even attempt, at treating paralysis in cats using... (11661 views)

Peeing in the house. We have a problem with Storm (a male cat) weeing every where in the house we do have... (7005 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (10622 views)

Can a dog get lice? Can my dog get lice... (5621 views)