Staggering Rottweiler

Breed: Rottweiler mix
I have a nine month old female rottweiler mix. She is eating nutro max dog food. She woke up this morning with red puffy eyes and staggering. This happened once before a few weeks ago, but it went away in a couple of hours. She looks and acts like she got into acepromazine, but all of our ace is accounted for, as well as all flea meds and other medication. As I said, this happened a few weeks ago, but there do not appear to be any common denominators between the two instances. She is lethargic, and tried to jump up on the bed with me this morning, which she hasn't done since the first night we brought her home seven months ago. When she got up to go out this morning, she was moving better after she got moving, but the steps gave her trouble getting back in the house. Once in the house, she started wobbling again. The only two times I have seen this are in the morning.

Sorry to hear that Willow is having these problems. This is a tough situation to try to figure out over the internet.

My first thought was that she could have been stung by a bee or wasp and is now having an allergic reaction. It's not typical though. If this is the case she will benefit from benadryl tablets given at 1 mg/lb.

I have seen similar things with dogs who have gotten into recreational drugs such as marijuana. The eyes would not necessarily be puffy, but could be red.

If this were a small dog I would wonder about a serious liver problem called a hepatic shunt, but this is quite uncommon in larger dogs.

It sounds like it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at her and do some basic blood work. I hope she's oK!

Should dog have a liver biopsy? My dog, Zora, was adopted from a rescue group in CA so we don't know much about her... (12216 views)

Dog drinking less water. Over the past week, my dog has been drinking less water than usual. She usually... (16813 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (6698 views)

Is this lump cancer? I noticed yesterday that my babe has a lump about the size of a kiwi on her bottom... (17202 views)

Constipated dog. We have a large, 45kg, dog, mixed breed.He's five and a half years old. He is... (9940 views)

Retrobulbar abscess My 3 year old, female border collie was treated late yesterday for a retrobulbar... (12170 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (9201 views)

Kitten with yellow diarrhea. Hi. My neighbor just called me about three days ago and asked if i would help nurse... (12023 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (12087 views)

Treatments for constipated cat. Good morning Dr Marie, This is the second time I have used your service. I was... (5360 views)