Staggering Rottweiler

Breed: Rottweiler mix
I have a nine month old female rottweiler mix. She is eating nutro max dog food. She woke up this morning with red puffy eyes and staggering. This happened once before a few weeks ago, but it went away in a couple of hours. She looks and acts like she got into acepromazine, but all of our ace is accounted for, as well as all flea meds and other medication. As I said, this happened a few weeks ago, but there do not appear to be any common denominators between the two instances. She is lethargic, and tried to jump up on the bed with me this morning, which she hasn't done since the first night we brought her home seven months ago. When she got up to go out this morning, she was moving better after she got moving, but the steps gave her trouble getting back in the house. Once in the house, she started wobbling again. The only two times I have seen this are in the morning.

Sorry to hear that Willow is having these problems. This is a tough situation to try to figure out over the internet.

My first thought was that she could have been stung by a bee or wasp and is now having an allergic reaction. It's not typical though. If this is the case she will benefit from benadryl tablets given at 1 mg/lb.

I have seen similar things with dogs who have gotten into recreational drugs such as marijuana. The eyes would not necessarily be puffy, but could be red.

If this were a small dog I would wonder about a serious liver problem called a hepatic shunt, but this is quite uncommon in larger dogs.

It sounds like it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at her and do some basic blood work. I hope she's oK!

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (20983 views)

Sick kitten We recently found this kitten last week outside, when we found him we estimated that... (5850 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (6397 views)

Dog going blind. Our dog Vinnie started suddenly to become lethargic and then over a period of 4... (4372 views)

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (24611 views)

Heartworm and MDR1 I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella... (3731 views)

Sardine treats for my cat. Is this recipe for cat treats safe for my cat? 3/4 cup dry, whole wheat bread... (4906 views)

Best flea preventive for cats. Bella is an indoor/outdoor cat; free to roam during the day, but we keep her in at... (2982 views)

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (3314 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (6280 views)