Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Wobbly after seizure.

Species: Dog
Breed: husky mix
Age: 2-5 years
hello,

I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and potassium bromide. The other he had around 8 cluster seizures we brought him to the emergency vet which the gave valium and kept him over night. Picked him Monday morning and since then he hasnt been the same he paces endleesly around house bumping into things walking into glass doors tries to fit in small areas very weak also urinates inside our home. This is now 3 days later on Wednesday and hes still doing the same things hes just totally out of it. I know after a seizure this could be nmormal but its 3 days later and were very nervous somethings wrong with his brain.One thing he can do is catch doggy treats right out of the air its very strange. Any insight would be great to know what to do next we have a neurologist that says sometimes this happens but I dont agree 3 days later somethings wrong.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Interesting. It's unusual to see a dog have these kind of effects 3 days after having a seizure.

I can think of a few possible reasons for this.

When he had the seizures recently, did any of them last for more than 10 minutes? If so it's possible that he has suffered some damage to his brain.

Has he had any blood tests recently? If this was happening to a patient of mine I would want to check his liver enzymes. If there was a liver problem it could cause him to not be able to process the valium. This would cause the drug to be active in his system for several days.

Does he have any access to anything toxic such as recreational drugs? I once saw a cat with similar symptoms and it turned out the cat was munching on the owner's marijuana plants.

Has he had his levels of phenobarbital and potassium bromide checked recently? If a dog is getting too high of a dose then this can cause him to be "out of it". But, it doesn't really make sense that this happened just after having some cluster seizures...unless the doctors had increased his dose.

I think it's a good idea to have a vet look at him again. They can do some neurological tests to determine if there is a vision problem. They can also do some blood tests to see if we need to be worried about the liver.

I really hope things are better soon.

If you have more questions then please respond. I will be heading out of the office and going back home again in a few minutes so I won't be able to reply for about an hour or so.

Dr. Marie.



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

they did say his liver enzymes were slightly elevated his pheno level is 28.6 and his bromide was 0.5 which they increased his doze. No single seizure was longer then 10 minutes but had multiple ones in a 2 hour span no toxins at all were around


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

You got me just before I left....

I think it would be worthwhile to consult with your vet again and have them examine him again. They may want to do some additional tests on the liver such as a bile acids test to determine if there is a liver problem.

Some dogs will have slightly elevated liver enzymes because of the phenobarb, but if the bile acids are elevated then this can tell us there is something else going on with the liver.

What you are describing is not normal and I do think it's a good idea to have him checked.



Customer reply:

they did say his liver enzymes were slightly elevated his pheno level is 28.6 and his bromide was 0.5 which they increased his doze. No single seizure was longer then 10 minutes but had multiple ones in a 2 hour span no toxins at all were around


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Not sure if you saw my reply above...looks like your response came through twice.



Customer reply:

they did double his dose of potassium bromide on Monday evening. Have you ever seen brain damage after seizures our neuro said its very very rare


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

I have seen dogs get pretty zonked out by potassium bromide...but not for 3 days although it's certainly possible.

I have seen dogs have brain damage after having one long seizure. I've had cases where we couldn't stop a seizure and an animal seizured for 30 minutes and then was essentially brain dead after that. But I can't say that I have seen an animal have brain damage after cluster seizures.



Customer reply:

we gave him valium after the first seizure which he came out of but then continued with muliple ones afterwards a few very short ones then 2 or 3 ones which were maybe a minute to two at most.


Customer reply:

we gave him valium after the first seizure which he came out of but then continued with muliple ones afterwards a few very short ones then 2 or 3 ones which were maybe a minute to two at most.This wood be day two from doubling bromide dose.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

No, I don't think the seizures have caused brain damage. I think this is more likely to be a problem with either too high a dose of medication or a problem with his body metabolizing the medicine.

Again though, it would be a good idea to have your vet see him again tomorrow.

I wouldn't make any changes in his medications until it is recognized by your vet.



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Flea problems. My dog Roxie has had a flea dip and has had her last months flea treatment, but she... (8437 views)

Cat is despondent. My cat is despondent. I don't think she's sick. I'll try anything to get some life... (5868 views)

Heart murmur in puppy. Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's... (5977 views)

Not eating, losing weight. My cat is 12 years old and has recently shown a lack of appetite, weight loss and... (4774 views)

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (13678 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (7696 views)

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (18715 views)

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (5407 views)

Skin infection is back. Hello Doctor, My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as... (7852 views)

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (15774 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.