Nutritional supplement for repeated fractures.

Breed: chihuahua
I have a chihuahua who has broken the same leg three times in the last year. The first time he fractured his elbow and needed surgery...the last two times were a break in the exact same spot. Do you know if there is a supplement that could be given to strengthen his bones...or what could be the cause?

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Marco's accidents. I have a patient in my practice who has a similar problem. (She is an Italian Greyhound and has tiny, tiny legs.)

I am always a little leary about adding a supplement to a dog's food unless we really know that he needs it. It would be great to have your vet run a blood panel that includes calcium and phosphorus. If those two minerals are in the normal range, then there really will be no benefit to supplementing the diet to try to strengthen the bones.

Sometimes we can do more harm than good in trying to supplement a diet that doesn't need it. If we start giving calcium it can send a signal to the bones that they don't need to make calcium and this can actually cause the bones to be weaker.

Be sure that he is on a good quality diet and not one of the cheaper diets.

You could also ask your vet about an omega fatty acid supplement. While it doesn't directly strengthen the bones it does wonders for overall health.

I hope there are no more fractures for Marco!

Possible coonhound paralysis? My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL... (10215 views)

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (10992 views)

Dog suddenly needy. Austin is 7. He is a shelter dog. I've had him since he was 2-ish. He was diagnosed... (34524 views)

Patches of hair loss on snout. Hi, my dog Penelope has started to develop a patch of hair loss on the right side of... (18463 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (10515 views)

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (16221 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (19065 views)

Constipated cat. For the past 2 weeks or so, my cat has been having some constipation. I think it... (17182 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma questions. Hello Dr. Marie, What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland... (15383 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in pregnancy. My dog has had 1 or 2 ties and it's been about a week now and she's starting to have... (6142 views)