Nutritional supplement for repeated fractures.

Breed: chihuahua
I have a chihuahua who has broken the same leg three times in the last year. The first time he fractured his elbow and needed surgery...the last two times were a break in the exact same spot. Do you know if there is a supplement that could be given to strengthen his bones...or what could be the cause?

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Marco's accidents. I have a patient in my practice who has a similar problem. (She is an Italian Greyhound and has tiny, tiny legs.)

I am always a little leary about adding a supplement to a dog's food unless we really know that he needs it. It would be great to have your vet run a blood panel that includes calcium and phosphorus. If those two minerals are in the normal range, then there really will be no benefit to supplementing the diet to try to strengthen the bones.

Sometimes we can do more harm than good in trying to supplement a diet that doesn't need it. If we start giving calcium it can send a signal to the bones that they don't need to make calcium and this can actually cause the bones to be weaker.

Be sure that he is on a good quality diet and not one of the cheaper diets.

You could also ask your vet about an omega fatty acid supplement. While it doesn't directly strengthen the bones it does wonders for overall health.

I hope there are no more fractures for Marco!

Sore head from bow. Hello, My dog got her bow caught and it ripped the hair out of the top of her head.... (7591 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (6721 views)

Puppy not eating. why isn't my minature pincher puppy not eatting? i tried to feed him myself but he... (9755 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (56951 views)

Wobbly boxer My 3 year old male boxer has several issues. A couple weeks ago he was lethargic... (19156 views)

Cataracts, thirst and lethargy. Hi Dr Marie, I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed... (9050 views)

Cat flung himself around. Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up... (7127 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (28097 views)

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (19641 views)

Golden with itchy abdomen. Hello My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside... (35137 views)