Nutritional supplement for repeated fractures.

Breed: chihuahua
I have a chihuahua who has broken the same leg three times in the last year. The first time he fractured his elbow and needed surgery...the last two times were a break in the exact same spot. Do you know if there is a supplement that could be given to strengthen his bones...or what could be the cause?

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Marco's accidents. I have a patient in my practice who has a similar problem. (She is an Italian Greyhound and has tiny, tiny legs.)

I am always a little leary about adding a supplement to a dog's food unless we really know that he needs it. It would be great to have your vet run a blood panel that includes calcium and phosphorus. If those two minerals are in the normal range, then there really will be no benefit to supplementing the diet to try to strengthen the bones.

Sometimes we can do more harm than good in trying to supplement a diet that doesn't need it. If we start giving calcium it can send a signal to the bones that they don't need to make calcium and this can actually cause the bones to be weaker.

Be sure that he is on a good quality diet and not one of the cheaper diets.

You could also ask your vet about an omega fatty acid supplement. While it doesn't directly strengthen the bones it does wonders for overall health.

I hope there are no more fractures for Marco!

what kind of dog to get Hi Please help! I want to get my Golden Retriever (male) a friend, but not... (7221 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (7697 views)

Bald patches on cats. I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They... (8137 views)

Weight loss in cat. My cat use to be really overweight. About a year ago he started to get sick a lot... (8690 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (10273 views)

Sore chihuahua My dog Chevy has had some strange behavior for some time. For the past year or so he... (8799 views)

Puppy died suddenly. Dakota was playful, looked energetic and happy thursday morning. by dinner time the... (25329 views)

Can a neutered dog breed? Hi, I have a 2 year old chihuahua weighs 4 pounds named Frenchy Fry. I nuetered him... (27818 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (20012 views)

My cat's eye is foggy. Hello, My cat Paisley is 10 months old and her eye is foggy, her ears and nose are... (9479 views)