Nutritional supplement for repeated fractures.

Breed: chihuahua
I have a chihuahua who has broken the same leg three times in the last year. The first time he fractured his elbow and needed surgery...the last two times were a break in the exact same spot. Do you know if there is a supplement that could be given to strengthen his bones...or what could be the cause?

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Marco's accidents. I have a patient in my practice who has a similar problem. (She is an Italian Greyhound and has tiny, tiny legs.)

I am always a little leary about adding a supplement to a dog's food unless we really know that he needs it. It would be great to have your vet run a blood panel that includes calcium and phosphorus. If those two minerals are in the normal range, then there really will be no benefit to supplementing the diet to try to strengthen the bones.

Sometimes we can do more harm than good in trying to supplement a diet that doesn't need it. If we start giving calcium it can send a signal to the bones that they don't need to make calcium and this can actually cause the bones to be weaker.

Be sure that he is on a good quality diet and not one of the cheaper diets.

You could also ask your vet about an omega fatty acid supplement. While it doesn't directly strengthen the bones it does wonders for overall health.

I hope there are no more fractures for Marco!

Dental care for older dog. I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was... (21174 views)

Diarrhea with blood Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be... (13942 views)

Can't bear weight. This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog... (7642 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (18514 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (7227 views)

Terbutaline and atenolol. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m interested in your thoughts on what may have caused my cat’s... (16153 views)

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (39244 views)

Remove baby teeth with spay? Hello, My wife's puppy is 9 months old. she weighs 3.6 pounds. She needs to get... (10680 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (7754 views)

Ear Cleaning. I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs... (26091 views)