Nutritional supplement for repeated fractures.

Breed: chihuahua
I have a chihuahua who has broken the same leg three times in the last year. The first time he fractured his elbow and needed surgery...the last two times were a break in the exact same spot. Do you know if there is a supplement that could be given to strengthen his bones...or what could be the cause?

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Marco's accidents. I have a patient in my practice who has a similar problem. (She is an Italian Greyhound and has tiny, tiny legs.)

I am always a little leary about adding a supplement to a dog's food unless we really know that he needs it. It would be great to have your vet run a blood panel that includes calcium and phosphorus. If those two minerals are in the normal range, then there really will be no benefit to supplementing the diet to try to strengthen the bones.

Sometimes we can do more harm than good in trying to supplement a diet that doesn't need it. If we start giving calcium it can send a signal to the bones that they don't need to make calcium and this can actually cause the bones to be weaker.

Be sure that he is on a good quality diet and not one of the cheaper diets.

You could also ask your vet about an omega fatty acid supplement. While it doesn't directly strengthen the bones it does wonders for overall health.

I hope there are no more fractures for Marco!

PNST in a dog. My Jack Russell (8 years old) was just diagnosed with a PNST. Which was discovered... (12386 views)

Backward sneezing and drooling. Firstly I am doing this om my iPhone . I can get email but can not send so please... (16888 views)

Feral cat with problems. There is a a trio of feral cats that we have been feeding, and over the last few... (12486 views)

Wheezing kitten. Hi! I found Trinity a week or two ago. She was very friendly but looked (and... (7627 views)

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (41838 views)

Won't nurse puppies One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven... (49092 views)

Questions about an older dog. I have a female Shih Tzu, turning 5 this coming July. To let you understand the... (20038 views)

Wobbly lab. Hello - About 4 weeks ago, Koda started acting very stiff around his neck so we... (14493 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (32403 views)

Puppy vomiting and not eating. my do seems to be sick she will not really eat and she has lost most of her energy... (13840 views)