Dog gagging and coughing.

Breed: Shep Mix
My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does this sound serious?

Hi Andy! I have some questions for you before I answer:

Does Sneakers seem to be bright and happy?
How is her appetite?

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! She seems to be happy other than the gagging every now and then. She ate well this morning.

OK, thanks for that info!

There are a few things that can cause a dog to cough like you have described.

By far the most common cause is a respiratory virus such as kennel cough. These viruses are airborne and while they are more likely to be picked up in an environment such as a kennel they really can be picked up anywhere as the virus travels through the air. The good news is that most dogs get over this on their own, just like we would get over a cold. The fact that your girl is bright and alert is excellent. There really isn't an over the counter cough suppressant that is safe to give until we know what the cause is for sure however.

So, as long as your girl is bright she should be ok. Kennel cough usually goes away in about 5-14 days. Now, if she is getting lethargic or if the nasal discharge turns to green or yellow then she may have developed a bacterial infection. If this happens she will need to see the vet for some antibiotics. Also, if she is bright but you think she needs something to stop the coughing you can see your vet for some cough suppressant medication.

Here is a youtube video with an example of a dog with kennel cough:

http://www.youtube.com/v/zx7tveHyFqk

There are other things that can make a dog cough such as a heart problem, a nasal or sinus infection, a fungal infection or a foreign object up her nose. If the problem is not getting better then you will need to see a vet to get a diagnosis and some treatment.
Hope she does oK!

Thanks Dr. Marie! My dog is coughing exactly like the one in the video.

By the way...feel free to come back to this page if you have more questions!

Vomiting and diarrhea in puppy. Lady is almost 5 months now, she's a typical Aussie puppy. She lives with me, my... (8318 views)

Drinking a lot and collapse. My boxer, Tank, has recently began drinking water excessively and then pees all over... (23091 views)

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (11211 views)

Do allergy wipes work? Do cat wipes work for people who are allergic to feline dander? Are the wipes... (12751 views)

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (16758 views)

Lentigo on a daschund. Dear Dr. Marie, I just recently discovered these black dots on my dogs chest when... (38658 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (9007 views)

Coughing cat. My cat has had a horrible cough for two or three months and the vet doesn't know... (5641 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (13537 views)

Antibiotics for pyometra? my dog has pyometra what are the chances with survival after antibotic injection... (10365 views)