Dog gagging and coughing.

Breed: Shep Mix
My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does this sound serious?

Hi Andy! I have some questions for you before I answer:

Does Sneakers seem to be bright and happy?
How is her appetite?

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! She seems to be happy other than the gagging every now and then. She ate well this morning.

OK, thanks for that info!

There are a few things that can cause a dog to cough like you have described.

By far the most common cause is a respiratory virus such as kennel cough. These viruses are airborne and while they are more likely to be picked up in an environment such as a kennel they really can be picked up anywhere as the virus travels through the air. The good news is that most dogs get over this on their own, just like we would get over a cold. The fact that your girl is bright and alert is excellent. There really isn't an over the counter cough suppressant that is safe to give until we know what the cause is for sure however.

So, as long as your girl is bright she should be ok. Kennel cough usually goes away in about 5-14 days. Now, if she is getting lethargic or if the nasal discharge turns to green or yellow then she may have developed a bacterial infection. If this happens she will need to see the vet for some antibiotics. Also, if she is bright but you think she needs something to stop the coughing you can see your vet for some cough suppressant medication.

Here is a youtube video with an example of a dog with kennel cough:

http://www.youtube.com/v/zx7tveHyFqk

There are other things that can make a dog cough such as a heart problem, a nasal or sinus infection, a fungal infection or a foreign object up her nose. If the problem is not getting better then you will need to see a vet to get a diagnosis and some treatment.
Hope she does oK!

Thanks Dr. Marie! My dog is coughing exactly like the one in the video.

By the way...feel free to come back to this page if you have more questions!

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (22539 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (8023 views)

Excessive drooling. My Puggle started drooling a few days ago and I assumed she had gotten a red ant or... (19579 views)

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (8094 views)

Dog ate M&M's. My 20 pound dachsund just ate a pack of M&M chocolate!!! Will he die? PLEASE... (31490 views)

Wheatgrass for cats? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a question for Fei Meow again. As Fei Meow is very happy... (19042 views)

Switching foods for allergies. My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and... (6095 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (8404 views)

Sick kitten. Kitty is 13 weeks old, has had diarehha off and on for 9 days, also another sibling,... (7720 views)

Limping boston terrier. hi my boston terrier wont put any weight on his back right foot. It started of only... (19602 views)