Dog gagging and coughing.

Breed: Shep Mix
My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does this sound serious?

Hi Andy! I have some questions for you before I answer:

Does Sneakers seem to be bright and happy?
How is her appetite?

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! She seems to be happy other than the gagging every now and then. She ate well this morning.

OK, thanks for that info!

There are a few things that can cause a dog to cough like you have described.

By far the most common cause is a respiratory virus such as kennel cough. These viruses are airborne and while they are more likely to be picked up in an environment such as a kennel they really can be picked up anywhere as the virus travels through the air. The good news is that most dogs get over this on their own, just like we would get over a cold. The fact that your girl is bright and alert is excellent. There really isn't an over the counter cough suppressant that is safe to give until we know what the cause is for sure however.

So, as long as your girl is bright she should be ok. Kennel cough usually goes away in about 5-14 days. Now, if she is getting lethargic or if the nasal discharge turns to green or yellow then she may have developed a bacterial infection. If this happens she will need to see the vet for some antibiotics. Also, if she is bright but you think she needs something to stop the coughing you can see your vet for some cough suppressant medication.

Here is a youtube video with an example of a dog with kennel cough:

http://www.youtube.com/v/zx7tveHyFqk

There are other things that can make a dog cough such as a heart problem, a nasal or sinus infection, a fungal infection or a foreign object up her nose. If the problem is not getting better then you will need to see a vet to get a diagnosis and some treatment.
Hope she does oK!

Thanks Dr. Marie! My dog is coughing exactly like the one in the video.

By the way...feel free to come back to this page if you have more questions!

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (6235 views)

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (5272 views)

Metacam for cancer pain. I have a 13 year old Birman female cat, never really been sick in her life. We... (11164 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (3270 views)

Peeing on clothes. My old cat seems to be healthy, he eats well, is blind in one eye but that doesn't... (3452 views)

Pain in front leg. She has been limping, crying out to us, and holding up her front right leg. It... (3683 views)

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (26799 views)

Skin infection is back. Hello Doctor, My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as... (5909 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (16440 views)

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (6795 views)