Dog gagging and coughing.

Breed: Shep Mix
My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does this sound serious?

Hi Andy! I have some questions for you before I answer:

Does Sneakers seem to be bright and happy?
How is her appetite?

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! She seems to be happy other than the gagging every now and then. She ate well this morning.

OK, thanks for that info!

There are a few things that can cause a dog to cough like you have described.

By far the most common cause is a respiratory virus such as kennel cough. These viruses are airborne and while they are more likely to be picked up in an environment such as a kennel they really can be picked up anywhere as the virus travels through the air. The good news is that most dogs get over this on their own, just like we would get over a cold. The fact that your girl is bright and alert is excellent. There really isn't an over the counter cough suppressant that is safe to give until we know what the cause is for sure however.

So, as long as your girl is bright she should be ok. Kennel cough usually goes away in about 5-14 days. Now, if she is getting lethargic or if the nasal discharge turns to green or yellow then she may have developed a bacterial infection. If this happens she will need to see the vet for some antibiotics. Also, if she is bright but you think she needs something to stop the coughing you can see your vet for some cough suppressant medication.

Here is a youtube video with an example of a dog with kennel cough:

http://www.youtube.com/v/zx7tveHyFqk

There are other things that can make a dog cough such as a heart problem, a nasal or sinus infection, a fungal infection or a foreign object up her nose. If the problem is not getting better then you will need to see a vet to get a diagnosis and some treatment.
Hope she does oK!

Thanks Dr. Marie! My dog is coughing exactly like the one in the video.

By the way...feel free to come back to this page if you have more questions!

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (249449 views)

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (9675 views)

Training blind dog. My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and... (7311 views)

cat with bald belly Dr Marie, My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is... (7718 views)

Can a feral cat be tamed? Dr. Marie - a few months ago I came across a feral cat who is now named Gypsy. I... (6038 views)

Cat shaking and licking lips. My cat (11 months old) is a male cat, neutered, all shots, etc. He has always been... (17310 views)

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (15605 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (5925 views)

Chihuahua fell from couch. Hello. I have a sweet, loving, happy, and spoiled female chihuahua, weighing about... (6644 views)

Arthritis medicines for cats. Please tell me what you use for daily dose meloxicam for 12 pound 15 yr old cat.... (5126 views)