Dog gagging and coughing.

Breed: Shep Mix
My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does this sound serious?

Hi Andy! I have some questions for you before I answer:

Does Sneakers seem to be bright and happy?
How is her appetite?

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! She seems to be happy other than the gagging every now and then. She ate well this morning.

OK, thanks for that info!

There are a few things that can cause a dog to cough like you have described.

By far the most common cause is a respiratory virus such as kennel cough. These viruses are airborne and while they are more likely to be picked up in an environment such as a kennel they really can be picked up anywhere as the virus travels through the air. The good news is that most dogs get over this on their own, just like we would get over a cold. The fact that your girl is bright and alert is excellent. There really isn't an over the counter cough suppressant that is safe to give until we know what the cause is for sure however.

So, as long as your girl is bright she should be ok. Kennel cough usually goes away in about 5-14 days. Now, if she is getting lethargic or if the nasal discharge turns to green or yellow then she may have developed a bacterial infection. If this happens she will need to see the vet for some antibiotics. Also, if she is bright but you think she needs something to stop the coughing you can see your vet for some cough suppressant medication.

Here is a youtube video with an example of a dog with kennel cough:

http://www.youtube.com/v/zx7tveHyFqk

There are other things that can make a dog cough such as a heart problem, a nasal or sinus infection, a fungal infection or a foreign object up her nose. If the problem is not getting better then you will need to see a vet to get a diagnosis and some treatment.
Hope she does oK!

Thanks Dr. Marie! My dog is coughing exactly like the one in the video.

By the way...feel free to come back to this page if you have more questions!

Stuffed up cat. I have a male cat named Tuna aged somewhere close to a year and a half. He is a... (9362 views)

Shedding Akita. my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse... (6727 views)

Boxer skin problems. -I apologize in advance for the novel i wrote below- We are officially at a loss.... (44332 views)

Cat's stomach making noises My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This... (153369 views)

Dog has the runs. my dog has the... (14603 views)

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (9350 views)

Blood in stools. My dog has bright red blood in his stools. He is in good form, jumping around and... (8854 views)

Should I spay my older dog? Greetings, I have an 8 year old female shih tzu that never had any puppies,and... (12435 views)

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (10096 views)

Horrible euthanasia experience Why was my pets euthanasia a nightmare? I brought my cat Jack in for euthanasia... (7385 views)