Dog gagging and coughing.

Breed: Shep Mix
My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does this sound serious?

Hi Andy! I have some questions for you before I answer:

Does Sneakers seem to be bright and happy?
How is her appetite?

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! She seems to be happy other than the gagging every now and then. She ate well this morning.

OK, thanks for that info!

There are a few things that can cause a dog to cough like you have described.

By far the most common cause is a respiratory virus such as kennel cough. These viruses are airborne and while they are more likely to be picked up in an environment such as a kennel they really can be picked up anywhere as the virus travels through the air. The good news is that most dogs get over this on their own, just like we would get over a cold. The fact that your girl is bright and alert is excellent. There really isn't an over the counter cough suppressant that is safe to give until we know what the cause is for sure however.

So, as long as your girl is bright she should be ok. Kennel cough usually goes away in about 5-14 days. Now, if she is getting lethargic or if the nasal discharge turns to green or yellow then she may have developed a bacterial infection. If this happens she will need to see the vet for some antibiotics. Also, if she is bright but you think she needs something to stop the coughing you can see your vet for some cough suppressant medication.

Here is a youtube video with an example of a dog with kennel cough:

http://www.youtube.com/v/zx7tveHyFqk

There are other things that can make a dog cough such as a heart problem, a nasal or sinus infection, a fungal infection or a foreign object up her nose. If the problem is not getting better then you will need to see a vet to get a diagnosis and some treatment.
Hope she does oK!

Thanks Dr. Marie! My dog is coughing exactly like the one in the video.

By the way...feel free to come back to this page if you have more questions!

Puppy and adult dog vomiting. Our 8 yr old lab became ill about 2 weeks ago with occassional vomiting, diarrhea,... (4771 views)

Hair loss in hamster I have a syrian hamster which is about two and a half years old. He as been losing... (7394 views)

Licking at bum and feet. My 12 year old female cat started having anal gland issues over a year ago. After... (7208 views)

Safe fruits and vegetables for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a young cat who likes to eat certain fruit and vegetables,... (24147 views)

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (16263 views)

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (22772 views)

Swollen paw in a cat. My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur... (20232 views)

Lump on ferret's face. My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now... (8870 views)

Panadol (tylenol) for cat? my cat(3 years) has been drooling non-stop for the past 3 days and wont eat or drink... (5736 views)

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (9827 views)