Shifting lameness and weight loss.

Breed: Domestic Short Hair
In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to the vet: blood tests and temperature were normal and X-rays showed nothing, so he was given a cortisone shot. That seemed to help for a few months, but then he started limping again, but this time it was on the right front foot. After throwing up a hair ball last week, he started panting. We rushed him to the vet. Blood tests were normal, his temperature was 100-degrees, no damage indicated on his foot, but this time they did a chest X-ray. It revealed a suspicious spot near his lung. The doctors reading the X-Ray thought that it might be a blood clot, but they were not sure. We took him home and gave him half a baby aspirin (under advice of vet), and the next morning he was his old self (but still limping, although not as bad). Since then, however, he seems to have gotten worse. Since March, Grayson has lost 2.6 pounds. He has a very good appetite and drinks plenty of water. No problems going to the litter box. He sleeps more than usual and is mildly lethargic, and doesn't interact with his feline siblings or play. The doctor suggested that we do an ultrasound of his chest cavity in 4 weeks, but he seems to have lost more weight in the past week and has now started limping on his left rear foot. We would greatly appreciate any recommendations. Thank you

Hmmm....this is an unusual case.

The fact that we have limping combined with potential respiratory signs and weight loss certainly makes a heart problem along with a blood clot a distinct possibility. However, what doesn't fit is that the limping is changing from leg to leg. It would be extremely unlikely in my opinion that three limbs would get blood clot problems.

It's interesting that things were better after having the baby aspirin. But I am thinking that it was the anti-inflammatory effect of the aspirin that helped and not the anti-clotting effect.

There are no common issues that I can think of that would cause the symptoms that you are seeing in your cat. But, I can think of a few relatively uncommon ones.

Arthritis is a possibility. Usually we'll see changes on xrays consistent with arthritis but not always. Arthritis is not really common in a cat of this age though.

There are some infectious types of arthritis such as mycoplasma arthritis. You could ask your vet if this is a possibility. If it is a possibility then they may consider trying a course of an antibiotic called doxycycline.

Another possibility would be some type of lymphosarcoma (cancer). This type of cancer could be an explanation for the potential lung mass and the weight loss. It is not common for it to affect joints, but in theory it's possible.

It's also possible that there is some type of autoimmune disease present. However, I couldn't find many cases of autoimmune arthritis in cats.

Another possibility to ask your vet about is some type of fungal disease. A lesion in the chest along with shifting joint pain and weight loss could possibly be a sign of histoplasmosis. Histo is not common in all areas though so your vet can help you decide whether this is even possible in your area.

This is not a "normal" case. But, if this is a fungal or a mycoplasma infection then there is a good possibility that a cure can be found. Your vet will likely need to do more tests though.

Hope things work out ok.

Dr. Marie - I forgot to mention that Grayson showed up on our doorstep about 4 years ago in terrible condition. He was scarred and battered from fighting with other cats, but he also had a broken jaw and 3 of his fang teeth were broken off. The vet suspected a car accident or kick from a horse, but he was healthy otherwise, and did not have FIV (thankfully). Since then, he has been indoor only. I also forgot to mention that the radiologist who examined his X-ray last week said one of his kidneys and spleen appeared to be slightly enlarged. The vet also said that his gums were pale, but since the blood work came back normal she wasn't worried about that. Thank you for your response and ideas about what is going on with this sweet baby. We are so worried about him.

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (7543 views)

Rabies from my dog? my 70 days old cocker spaniel bit my toe and there ws little bleeding and i cleaned... (3450 views)

Sick guinea pig. hello, i need help. my guinea pig peppy is really dehydrated and really weak, today... (9556 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (6575 views)

Getting new pup after parvo. We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that... (23263 views)

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (4935 views)

Broken leg - not eating. Last night my 7 week old puppy broke her leg , we took her to the emergency pet... (4042 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog is a mutt, 14yrs old, and has been acting strangely as of late. She doesn't... (8144 views)

Whipworm treatment? I was looking into a preventative whip worm product as my vet keeps telling me that... (3738 views)

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (8812 views)