Shifting lameness and weight loss.

Breed: Domestic Short Hair
In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to the vet: blood tests and temperature were normal and X-rays showed nothing, so he was given a cortisone shot. That seemed to help for a few months, but then he started limping again, but this time it was on the right front foot. After throwing up a hair ball last week, he started panting. We rushed him to the vet. Blood tests were normal, his temperature was 100-degrees, no damage indicated on his foot, but this time they did a chest X-ray. It revealed a suspicious spot near his lung. The doctors reading the X-Ray thought that it might be a blood clot, but they were not sure. We took him home and gave him half a baby aspirin (under advice of vet), and the next morning he was his old self (but still limping, although not as bad). Since then, however, he seems to have gotten worse. Since March, Grayson has lost 2.6 pounds. He has a very good appetite and drinks plenty of water. No problems going to the litter box. He sleeps more than usual and is mildly lethargic, and doesn't interact with his feline siblings or play. The doctor suggested that we do an ultrasound of his chest cavity in 4 weeks, but he seems to have lost more weight in the past week and has now started limping on his left rear foot. We would greatly appreciate any recommendations. Thank you

Hmmm....this is an unusual case.

The fact that we have limping combined with potential respiratory signs and weight loss certainly makes a heart problem along with a blood clot a distinct possibility. However, what doesn't fit is that the limping is changing from leg to leg. It would be extremely unlikely in my opinion that three limbs would get blood clot problems.

It's interesting that things were better after having the baby aspirin. But I am thinking that it was the anti-inflammatory effect of the aspirin that helped and not the anti-clotting effect.

There are no common issues that I can think of that would cause the symptoms that you are seeing in your cat. But, I can think of a few relatively uncommon ones.

Arthritis is a possibility. Usually we'll see changes on xrays consistent with arthritis but not always. Arthritis is not really common in a cat of this age though.

There are some infectious types of arthritis such as mycoplasma arthritis. You could ask your vet if this is a possibility. If it is a possibility then they may consider trying a course of an antibiotic called doxycycline.

Another possibility would be some type of lymphosarcoma (cancer). This type of cancer could be an explanation for the potential lung mass and the weight loss. It is not common for it to affect joints, but in theory it's possible.

It's also possible that there is some type of autoimmune disease present. However, I couldn't find many cases of autoimmune arthritis in cats.

Another possibility to ask your vet about is some type of fungal disease. A lesion in the chest along with shifting joint pain and weight loss could possibly be a sign of histoplasmosis. Histo is not common in all areas though so your vet can help you decide whether this is even possible in your area.

This is not a "normal" case. But, if this is a fungal or a mycoplasma infection then there is a good possibility that a cure can be found. Your vet will likely need to do more tests though.

Hope things work out ok.

Dr. Marie - I forgot to mention that Grayson showed up on our doorstep about 4 years ago in terrible condition. He was scarred and battered from fighting with other cats, but he also had a broken jaw and 3 of his fang teeth were broken off. The vet suspected a car accident or kick from a horse, but he was healthy otherwise, and did not have FIV (thankfully). Since then, he has been indoor only. I also forgot to mention that the radiologist who examined his X-ray last week said one of his kidneys and spleen appeared to be slightly enlarged. The vet also said that his gums were pale, but since the blood work came back normal she wasn't worried about that. Thank you for your response and ideas about what is going on with this sweet baby. We are so worried about him.

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (61687 views)

Cat flung himself around. Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up... (8486 views)

Dog pooping blood. My dog is pooping blood, but not pooping. Just blood coming out like she is... (16896 views)

Ear infection. Fred has been miserable. I have tried what i know to do. He has had a ear infection... (9246 views)

How to get cat to lose weight? Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my... (6568 views)

Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days. Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally... (83114 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (91712 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (7640 views)

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (65163 views)

Vomiting Dog. I contacted you about Little White Dog on April 24. She had had an exploratory to... (21760 views)