Shifting lameness and weight loss.

Breed: Domestic Short Hair
In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to the vet: blood tests and temperature were normal and X-rays showed nothing, so he was given a cortisone shot. That seemed to help for a few months, but then he started limping again, but this time it was on the right front foot. After throwing up a hair ball last week, he started panting. We rushed him to the vet. Blood tests were normal, his temperature was 100-degrees, no damage indicated on his foot, but this time they did a chest X-ray. It revealed a suspicious spot near his lung. The doctors reading the X-Ray thought that it might be a blood clot, but they were not sure. We took him home and gave him half a baby aspirin (under advice of vet), and the next morning he was his old self (but still limping, although not as bad). Since then, however, he seems to have gotten worse. Since March, Grayson has lost 2.6 pounds. He has a very good appetite and drinks plenty of water. No problems going to the litter box. He sleeps more than usual and is mildly lethargic, and doesn't interact with his feline siblings or play. The doctor suggested that we do an ultrasound of his chest cavity in 4 weeks, but he seems to have lost more weight in the past week and has now started limping on his left rear foot. We would greatly appreciate any recommendations. Thank you

Hmmm....this is an unusual case.

The fact that we have limping combined with potential respiratory signs and weight loss certainly makes a heart problem along with a blood clot a distinct possibility. However, what doesn't fit is that the limping is changing from leg to leg. It would be extremely unlikely in my opinion that three limbs would get blood clot problems.

It's interesting that things were better after having the baby aspirin. But I am thinking that it was the anti-inflammatory effect of the aspirin that helped and not the anti-clotting effect.

There are no common issues that I can think of that would cause the symptoms that you are seeing in your cat. But, I can think of a few relatively uncommon ones.

Arthritis is a possibility. Usually we'll see changes on xrays consistent with arthritis but not always. Arthritis is not really common in a cat of this age though.

There are some infectious types of arthritis such as mycoplasma arthritis. You could ask your vet if this is a possibility. If it is a possibility then they may consider trying a course of an antibiotic called doxycycline.

Another possibility would be some type of lymphosarcoma (cancer). This type of cancer could be an explanation for the potential lung mass and the weight loss. It is not common for it to affect joints, but in theory it's possible.

It's also possible that there is some type of autoimmune disease present. However, I couldn't find many cases of autoimmune arthritis in cats.

Another possibility to ask your vet about is some type of fungal disease. A lesion in the chest along with shifting joint pain and weight loss could possibly be a sign of histoplasmosis. Histo is not common in all areas though so your vet can help you decide whether this is even possible in your area.

This is not a "normal" case. But, if this is a fungal or a mycoplasma infection then there is a good possibility that a cure can be found. Your vet will likely need to do more tests though.

Hope things work out ok.

Dr. Marie - I forgot to mention that Grayson showed up on our doorstep about 4 years ago in terrible condition. He was scarred and battered from fighting with other cats, but he also had a broken jaw and 3 of his fang teeth were broken off. The vet suspected a car accident or kick from a horse, but he was healthy otherwise, and did not have FIV (thankfully). Since then, he has been indoor only. I also forgot to mention that the radiologist who examined his X-ray last week said one of his kidneys and spleen appeared to be slightly enlarged. The vet also said that his gums were pale, but since the blood work came back normal she wasn't worried about that. Thank you for your response and ideas about what is going on with this sweet baby. We are so worried about him.

Draining fluid for heart failure. My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and... (12870 views)

Vomiting 3 times per day. My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a... (16071 views)

Aspirin and Lasix? Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen... (7454 views)

Dog doesn't like u/d For a dog that has once needed to have surgery to have bladder stones removed do you... (16735 views)

Vomiting and not eating. My shepherd mix, Beanie, is 8 years old, weighs about 44 pounds, and has always been... (6361 views)

Duck jerky making dogs sick? If chicken strips (jerky) might be a problem, what about duck? I have bags of both... (5343 views)

GNRH implant I am asking about the GnRH implant to bring a dog into heat. MY FIRST MAIN... (10862 views)

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (7610 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (8137 views)

Paralyzed dog now walking Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and... (7642 views)