Guinea Pig heat cycle.

Breed: guinea pig
my female guinea pig has a swollen vulva which is very red. this happens once every 2-3 weeks . sometimes, it swells up less but, today it has swollen a lot ! what is the problem ??? plz tell me. this is urgent so, plz kindly answer me as soon as possible, PLEASE !
do female guinea pigs menstruate ?

Guinea pigs can go into heat every 15-17 days. (For some guinea pigs it is 13-21 days). When a guinea pig is in heat they can show the following signs:

• Increased activity

• Chasing cage mates

• Swaying hips/hind end

• Making a low pitched sound

• Arching her back and then putting her bum up in the air

• Swollen vulva

So, it can be normal to see a swollen vulva on a guinea pig every 2-3 weeks. This swelling should only last 6-12 hours if it is due to a heat.

However, if the vulva is really swollen then there may be something more serious going on. Sometimes a guinea pig can have a swollen vulva, or even a slightly prolapsed vulva (i.e. some of the tissue from inside is sticking out) because of bladder stones, cystic ovaries, a urinary tract infection or a cancer of the reproductive tract.

If you think this is not a normal heat cycle then a vet visit would be the best idea.

Healthy weight for a puppy. My papipoo recently had a haircut and I was shocked at how skinny he is. What is a... (11912 views)

Crusty scab on cat. Last week I noticed a bare patch of skin on the back of my cat's neck about the size... (12149 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (11471 views)

Dog Won't Eat My dog won't eat at all,but he still drink(not much)..He wanna move but he can't... (25664 views)

Itchy dog. Desirae was gave to us,she was dirty and i belive she was kept outside,when we got... (7170 views)

Older cat missing litter box. My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor... (18200 views)

Light sensitivity in older cat. Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills... (12249 views)

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (22360 views)

Lumps on dog's ear. Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have... (41963 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (28505 views)