Guinea Pig heat cycle.

Breed: guinea pig
my female guinea pig has a swollen vulva which is very red. this happens once every 2-3 weeks . sometimes, it swells up less but, today it has swollen a lot ! what is the problem ??? plz tell me. this is urgent so, plz kindly answer me as soon as possible, PLEASE !
do female guinea pigs menstruate ?

Guinea pigs can go into heat every 15-17 days. (For some guinea pigs it is 13-21 days). When a guinea pig is in heat they can show the following signs:

• Increased activity

• Chasing cage mates

• Swaying hips/hind end

• Making a low pitched sound

• Arching her back and then putting her bum up in the air

• Swollen vulva

So, it can be normal to see a swollen vulva on a guinea pig every 2-3 weeks. This swelling should only last 6-12 hours if it is due to a heat.

However, if the vulva is really swollen then there may be something more serious going on. Sometimes a guinea pig can have a swollen vulva, or even a slightly prolapsed vulva (i.e. some of the tissue from inside is sticking out) because of bladder stones, cystic ovaries, a urinary tract infection or a cancer of the reproductive tract.

If you think this is not a normal heat cycle then a vet visit would be the best idea.

Antibiotics for pyometra? my dog has pyometra what are the chances with survival after antibotic injection... (10750 views)

Questions about anesthesia Hi my name is Jazmin. I'm currently in college now in vet tech school. i have a... (7922 views)

Dog died at the vet's A couple weeks ago I noticed our dog Gauge was straining to urinate but couldnt. I... (10266 views)

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (17189 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (8129 views)

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (12083 views)

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (39900 views)

Rabbit not moving. this morning she was fine, now she is laying lifeless, her belly is flat like she... (7785 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (53216 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (18442 views)