Guinea Pig heat cycle.

Breed: guinea pig
my female guinea pig has a swollen vulva which is very red. this happens once every 2-3 weeks . sometimes, it swells up less but, today it has swollen a lot ! what is the problem ??? plz tell me. this is urgent so, plz kindly answer me as soon as possible, PLEASE !
do female guinea pigs menstruate ?

Guinea pigs can go into heat every 15-17 days. (For some guinea pigs it is 13-21 days). When a guinea pig is in heat they can show the following signs:

• Increased activity

• Chasing cage mates

• Swaying hips/hind end

• Making a low pitched sound

• Arching her back and then putting her bum up in the air

• Swollen vulva

So, it can be normal to see a swollen vulva on a guinea pig every 2-3 weeks. This swelling should only last 6-12 hours if it is due to a heat.

However, if the vulva is really swollen then there may be something more serious going on. Sometimes a guinea pig can have a swollen vulva, or even a slightly prolapsed vulva (i.e. some of the tissue from inside is sticking out) because of bladder stones, cystic ovaries, a urinary tract infection or a cancer of the reproductive tract.

If you think this is not a normal heat cycle then a vet visit would be the best idea.

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (7026 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (85286 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (18695 views)

Diarrhea with blood. my dog, i just recently changed his dog food. and i got home and saw diarrhea... (24021 views)

Dog has a crooked tail. We have a pure bred Staffy 5 months old. Her tail curls right over her back and... (15251 views)

Vet lost the lump! My cat had surgery last Thursday to have a cyst on his toe removed to see if it was... (10390 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (37094 views)

Toxoplasmosis questions. 1) My cat is an outdoor cat. I know he is at risk for getting the parasite that... (12880 views)

Cat can't poop. hi am afraid it is a mega colon my cat is not giving any stool , although he is... (15249 views)

Black bumps in cat's ear. My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in... (63406 views)