Guinea Pig heat cycle.

Breed: guinea pig
my female guinea pig has a swollen vulva which is very red. this happens once every 2-3 weeks . sometimes, it swells up less but, today it has swollen a lot ! what is the problem ??? plz tell me. this is urgent so, plz kindly answer me as soon as possible, PLEASE !
do female guinea pigs menstruate ?

Guinea pigs can go into heat every 15-17 days. (For some guinea pigs it is 13-21 days). When a guinea pig is in heat they can show the following signs:

• Increased activity

• Chasing cage mates

• Swaying hips/hind end

• Making a low pitched sound

• Arching her back and then putting her bum up in the air

• Swollen vulva

So, it can be normal to see a swollen vulva on a guinea pig every 2-3 weeks. This swelling should only last 6-12 hours if it is due to a heat.

However, if the vulva is really swollen then there may be something more serious going on. Sometimes a guinea pig can have a swollen vulva, or even a slightly prolapsed vulva (i.e. some of the tissue from inside is sticking out) because of bladder stones, cystic ovaries, a urinary tract infection or a cancer of the reproductive tract.

If you think this is not a normal heat cycle then a vet visit would be the best idea.

Testicle tumor and incontinence. my 11 year old dog has a swollen testicle, (a friend told me it may be a tumor), he... (8925 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (8605 views)

Limping cat. My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or... (20930 views)

Coughing blood and mucus. Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of... (32023 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (12404 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (11561 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (51378 views)

Stuffed up cat. I have a male cat named Tuna aged somewhere close to a year and a half. He is a... (11761 views)

Black bumps in cat's ear. My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in... (64453 views)

Golden with itchy abdomen. Hello My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside... (34135 views)