Guinea Pig heat cycle.

Breed: guinea pig
my female guinea pig has a swollen vulva which is very red. this happens once every 2-3 weeks . sometimes, it swells up less but, today it has swollen a lot ! what is the problem ??? plz tell me. this is urgent so, plz kindly answer me as soon as possible, PLEASE !
do female guinea pigs menstruate ?

Guinea pigs can go into heat every 15-17 days. (For some guinea pigs it is 13-21 days). When a guinea pig is in heat they can show the following signs:

• Increased activity

• Chasing cage mates

• Swaying hips/hind end

• Making a low pitched sound

• Arching her back and then putting her bum up in the air

• Swollen vulva

So, it can be normal to see a swollen vulva on a guinea pig every 2-3 weeks. This swelling should only last 6-12 hours if it is due to a heat.

However, if the vulva is really swollen then there may be something more serious going on. Sometimes a guinea pig can have a swollen vulva, or even a slightly prolapsed vulva (i.e. some of the tissue from inside is sticking out) because of bladder stones, cystic ovaries, a urinary tract infection or a cancer of the reproductive tract.

If you think this is not a normal heat cycle then a vet visit would be the best idea.

Guinea pig with mammary tumor. what does a large open lump on a guinea pigs tit mean? the tit has gone!... (11704 views)

Chronic and acute kidney disease. My dog is a 3 and half year old toy poodle. About 3 month before, he was diagnosed... (7996 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (4615 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i think my dog is pregnet she has big nipples and she is getting lazy she was in... (4647 views)

Testicle tumor and incontinence. my 11 year old dog has a swollen testicle, (a friend told me it may be a tumor), he... (7625 views)

Feeding a cat with fatty liver. Hi Dr. Marie, I am in a bit of a muddy situation. My client changed vets for ONE of... (6251 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (7468 views)

Did raw food cause death? Hi, Dr. Marie, My sweet Shiva, who has been with me since an 8-wk old pup in 2002,... (6597 views)

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (14184 views)

Chronic pancreatitis flareup. Kasma is currently being treated for chronic pancreatitis...she's been on... (6139 views)