Allergies or URTI?

Breed: DSH (unknown mix)
I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what I'm seeing.

I'm fairly sure that Arizona has pollen or dust allergies, but not entirely. Here in the past three weeks, she has developed a runny nose that occasionally just drips a drop or two of clear, watery fluid. She isn't sneezing or wheezing, but today one of her eyes overflowed with the light-brown watery fluid, as well. I wiped it up with a soft cloth, and haven't seen another overflow today. She is also shaking her head somewhat regularly - about once every quarter hour or so when she's not asleep. It sprays tiny droplets of fluid everywhere. Her eyes are not red or swollen, and her ears are not hot, swollen, or dirty, and they smell normal. She is having a bit of stinky gas, and her poo was lighter colored, larger, and softer than usual - it normally doesn't stink, but smells awful today. It wasn't runny, just kindof poofy-looking compared to the usual compact, nearly-black links.

She does not get vaccines any more; her last vaccination visit ended with an emergency vet visit because she had gone into shock and was having severe difficulty breathing. She is known to have food allergies to corn, wheat, and rice; she is also sensitive to beef, goat, lamb, and bison (she will hork them up about 15 minutes after eating, even if she hasn't had them in months). She is eating, although lightly. If it is likely to be allergies, what would you suggest doing? My vet has suggested half a tablet of Benadryl for when she gets the red, itchy eyes - but her eyes aren't showing the usual allergic symptoms I'm used to.

So, I guess the root question I have is: How do you tell the difference between cat allergy symptoms and some sort of respiratory infection?

If you answer this directly, thank you! If not, it would be interesting to see a blog post about how to tell the differences. There isn't a really good article or whatever on Google or Ask. Thanks again!

It's actually not very common to see cats get respiratory allergies. When cats get allergies they are usually manifested as skin problems or sometimes diarrhea, but it is not common to see sneezing simply because of allergies.

This certainly could be a mild upper respiratory tract infection. I don't get too worried about these unless there is green discharge, if the cat is not eating or if it seems really uncomfortable.

Another possibility is if Arizona has some type of foreign object up her nose such as a small blade of grass, or possibly a dental infection could do this.

For now, it's probably ok to watch her, but if things continue (or get worse) I'd have a vet take a look.

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (10982 views)

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (12670 views)

Black spots on belly and chest. Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were... (230633 views)

Puppy died and had fluid in lungs. Hi Dr. Marie, My case is probally irrelevant now since my 14 weeks puppy(american... (17061 views)

Perianal fistula Dear Dr Marie, My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils... (26479 views)

Chihuahua ate tennis ball. My small, 5lb baby girl chihauha (sp?) was outside playing with our two other dogs. ... (22255 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (55431 views)

Spot on eye. My boxer scratched his eye. Went to Vet and confirmed and they put him on Neomycin... (18422 views)

Cat with asthma. Dr. Marie, Misto is a 9-year-old, 15-pound domestic shorthair, house-only cat who... (9041 views)

Pregnant cat in heat? I thought Clhoe was pregnant , she went into (Heat)a month ago and was seen being...... (14903 views)