Enlarged lymph nodes on chemo.

Breed: Golden Retreiver
My furry child was recently diagnosed Lymphoma, cells suggestive of T-cell. I do not know the stage because we started treatment immediately and I was also told that no matter the stage the treatment would be the same. She is receiving, I am told, the same protocol that the Oncologist Vets
use at UF, Vinblastine, Vincristine,Elspar (Asparaginase), Prednisone orally, Cyclophosphamide orally (alternated with the prednisone)and Doxorubicin. She received her 3rd trtmt last Wed (weekly chemo at the vet & oral meds at home) and has been doing great, but we never knew she was sick in the first place. She is eating, playing and the lymph nodes decreased in size. However, last night and today I have noticed her lymph nodes under her jaw and by her chest/shoulders (prescapular, I think) have enlarged. Does this mean the chemo isn't helping? Is this something that does occur during chemo that the lymphnodes increase & decrease in size? Could this mean she is more advanced or that the cancer is progressing faster seeing it is a T-cell? We love her very much and it breaks our hearts knowing this is not a cure. Thank you so much for your time and anything you can enlighten me on regarding what this could possibly mean would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Lilo is fighting cancer. As you likely know, Golden Retrievers are more prone than other dogs to Lymphoma.

It sounds like you are receiving excellent oncology care. I agree that staging the cancer won't make much difference in how it is treated.

Unfortunately I am not pleased by the fact that she is getting lymph node enlargement. This may mean that the cancer is not responding to the chemotherapy. However, there may be more things that can be done. Your oncologist will likely try a change to a different type of protocol or change the dosage of one or more of the medications being used.

The best advice I can give you here is to put your trust in the vets who are looking after Lilo. Veterinary oncologists are amazing vets and if anyone knows how to best tackle this cancer it is these guys.

I think it would be a good idea to see if you can get Lilo in tomorrow. The vet can decide whether this is further lymph node enlargement and if so, they can determine whether more aggressive treatment is necessary.

I really hope she does ok!

I was thinking along those same lines just couldn't wait for an answer til tomorrow. The not knowing is the worse part.

Thank you, thank you thank you for your time.

You're very welcome. Feel free to post back if you have more questions.

Heartworm and MDR1 I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella... (6635 views)

Black lumps in a cat's ear. I recently noticed two black spots in one of my cat's ears. They haven't always been... (18705 views)

Pink lump on puppy's belly. Dr, I noticed a wart-like bump on Max's abdomen. I am sending along... (77354 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes. Hi Dr. Marie, My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). ... (12421 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (34992 views)

Peptobismol use in cats I gave pepto bismol to my cat will it be... (21325 views)

Dog gagging and coughing. My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does... (239390 views)

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (9464 views)

ACTH Stim my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in... (8223 views)

Blood tinged urine. Dr. Marie, My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right... (10868 views)