Enlarged lymph nodes on chemo.

Breed: Golden Retreiver
My furry child was recently diagnosed Lymphoma, cells suggestive of T-cell. I do not know the stage because we started treatment immediately and I was also told that no matter the stage the treatment would be the same. She is receiving, I am told, the same protocol that the Oncologist Vets
use at UF, Vinblastine, Vincristine,Elspar (Asparaginase), Prednisone orally, Cyclophosphamide orally (alternated with the prednisone)and Doxorubicin. She received her 3rd trtmt last Wed (weekly chemo at the vet & oral meds at home) and has been doing great, but we never knew she was sick in the first place. She is eating, playing and the lymph nodes decreased in size. However, last night and today I have noticed her lymph nodes under her jaw and by her chest/shoulders (prescapular, I think) have enlarged. Does this mean the chemo isn't helping? Is this something that does occur during chemo that the lymphnodes increase & decrease in size? Could this mean she is more advanced or that the cancer is progressing faster seeing it is a T-cell? We love her very much and it breaks our hearts knowing this is not a cure. Thank you so much for your time and anything you can enlighten me on regarding what this could possibly mean would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Lilo is fighting cancer. As you likely know, Golden Retrievers are more prone than other dogs to Lymphoma.

It sounds like you are receiving excellent oncology care. I agree that staging the cancer won't make much difference in how it is treated.

Unfortunately I am not pleased by the fact that she is getting lymph node enlargement. This may mean that the cancer is not responding to the chemotherapy. However, there may be more things that can be done. Your oncologist will likely try a change to a different type of protocol or change the dosage of one or more of the medications being used.

The best advice I can give you here is to put your trust in the vets who are looking after Lilo. Veterinary oncologists are amazing vets and if anyone knows how to best tackle this cancer it is these guys.

I think it would be a good idea to see if you can get Lilo in tomorrow. The vet can decide whether this is further lymph node enlargement and if so, they can determine whether more aggressive treatment is necessary.

I really hope she does ok!

I was thinking along those same lines just couldn't wait for an answer til tomorrow. The not knowing is the worse part.

Thank you, thank you thank you for your time.

You're very welcome. Feel free to post back if you have more questions.

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (9544 views)

Dog is afraid of people. I have a shy dog and a trainer told me to densitize her to her fears. she is afraid... (7377 views)

Strong urine odor. Over the past few months my dogs urine has started smelling really strongly, to the... (62304 views)

Vomiting, quiet cat. My 5 year old cat starting vomiting on Sunday - a few times and then vomited clear... (17093 views)

Chlamydia contagious? Can dogs get chlamydia? I encountered information regarding oral chlamydia&don't... (11661 views)

Blood in puppy's poo. Hi Dr Marie. We have just bought an adorable little puppy from a farmer. Since we... (7577 views)

Died after bloat surgery. My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and... (20949 views)

Coughing and panting. My dog is 12 1/2 and he has a hacking cough and pants all the time except when he's... (34853 views)

Natural allergy remedies. Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of... (10814 views)

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (13009 views)