Enlarged lymph nodes on chemo.

Breed: Golden Retreiver
My furry child was recently diagnosed Lymphoma, cells suggestive of T-cell. I do not know the stage because we started treatment immediately and I was also told that no matter the stage the treatment would be the same. She is receiving, I am told, the same protocol that the Oncologist Vets
use at UF, Vinblastine, Vincristine,Elspar (Asparaginase), Prednisone orally, Cyclophosphamide orally (alternated with the prednisone)and Doxorubicin. She received her 3rd trtmt last Wed (weekly chemo at the vet & oral meds at home) and has been doing great, but we never knew she was sick in the first place. She is eating, playing and the lymph nodes decreased in size. However, last night and today I have noticed her lymph nodes under her jaw and by her chest/shoulders (prescapular, I think) have enlarged. Does this mean the chemo isn't helping? Is this something that does occur during chemo that the lymphnodes increase & decrease in size? Could this mean she is more advanced or that the cancer is progressing faster seeing it is a T-cell? We love her very much and it breaks our hearts knowing this is not a cure. Thank you so much for your time and anything you can enlighten me on regarding what this could possibly mean would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Lilo is fighting cancer. As you likely know, Golden Retrievers are more prone than other dogs to Lymphoma.

It sounds like you are receiving excellent oncology care. I agree that staging the cancer won't make much difference in how it is treated.

Unfortunately I am not pleased by the fact that she is getting lymph node enlargement. This may mean that the cancer is not responding to the chemotherapy. However, there may be more things that can be done. Your oncologist will likely try a change to a different type of protocol or change the dosage of one or more of the medications being used.

The best advice I can give you here is to put your trust in the vets who are looking after Lilo. Veterinary oncologists are amazing vets and if anyone knows how to best tackle this cancer it is these guys.

I think it would be a good idea to see if you can get Lilo in tomorrow. The vet can decide whether this is further lymph node enlargement and if so, they can determine whether more aggressive treatment is necessary.

I really hope she does ok!

I was thinking along those same lines just couldn't wait for an answer til tomorrow. The not knowing is the worse part.

Thank you, thank you thank you for your time.

You're very welcome. Feel free to post back if you have more questions.

High lipase and triglycerides. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy... (7161 views)

Itchy red welts on belly. Hi. I have a 4 month old 25lb American Pit Bull puppy name Vino. For the last past... (21214 views)

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (4821 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (7814 views)

Back leg shaking. My aging Pit bull terrier's back leg shakes like he has Parkinson's disease. Back... (8063 views)

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (24579 views)

Kittens not eating or nursing My cat had 5 kittens 5 weeks ago. Recently, she has stopped feeding them and taking... (12643 views)

Brown staining around pee area. The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I... (113180 views)

Wobbly after anesthesia. Hello Dr. Marie, I just have a few questions about Snova...he got shaved for the... (14222 views)

Exercise induced collapse. I have a labrador retriever and she is about 4 years old, 60 lbs and she is a girl.... (6429 views)