Why use jugular vein?

Breed: Long hair domestic,
Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've encountered, a blood draw has been out of the leg.

Hi there Betty...thanks so much for your question.

Believe it or not, the jugular vein is the recommended vein for taking blood from a cat. When we take blood from a leg we usually can only get a small blood volume. This is ok if we are doing a test that only needs a tiny amount of blood (such as a blood glucose level).

However, if we are doing a regular type of blood test we usually need 2-3 cc of blood. The only way to consistently do this is to take blood from the jugular vein.

Sometimes, this can look traumatic to a cat! Many cats do not like to stay still for blood collection. Often they can vocalize a lot to tell us they are not happy. And it is not uncommon to have some bruising at the site of the blood collection. It is challenging getting blood from a cat sometimes!

If you have more questions about how your cat was handled, let me know.

Should I spay my older dog? Greetings, I have an 8 year old female shih tzu that never had any puppies,and... (16522 views)

Brown bugs over top of tail. Dear Dr. Marie: I HAVE A CAT, IT HAS BROWN BUG AND SCAB AT THE DORSAL ASPECT OF... (10890 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (8783 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (119043 views)

Betadine on spay incision? My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected.... (11647 views)

Red bugs on my dog. my dog has red bugs on him i have no idea what to do PLZ ANSWER THIS I LOVE MY DOG I... (14691 views)

High lipase and triglycerides. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy... (7670 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (38531 views)

Hamster with cushing's disease hi a am mina. i have 10 hamester. Unfortunately "blaki" (my Hamster) Maybe have... (9943 views)

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (25841 views)