Why use jugular vein?

Breed: Long hair domestic,
Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've encountered, a blood draw has been out of the leg.

Hi there Betty...thanks so much for your question.

Believe it or not, the jugular vein is the recommended vein for taking blood from a cat. When we take blood from a leg we usually can only get a small blood volume. This is ok if we are doing a test that only needs a tiny amount of blood (such as a blood glucose level).

However, if we are doing a regular type of blood test we usually need 2-3 cc of blood. The only way to consistently do this is to take blood from the jugular vein.

Sometimes, this can look traumatic to a cat! Many cats do not like to stay still for blood collection. Often they can vocalize a lot to tell us they are not happy. And it is not uncommon to have some bruising at the site of the blood collection. It is challenging getting blood from a cat sometimes!

If you have more questions about how your cat was handled, let me know.

Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath. Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down... (102482 views)

Expensive fecal exam. Hello Dr. Marie, My question is about a vet bill that I got yesterday and I... (38232 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (12981 views)

Perianal fistula Dear Dr Marie, My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils... (20559 views)

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (9045 views)

Feral cat with problems. There is a a trio of feral cats that we have been feeding, and over the last few... (11229 views)

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (17021 views)

Cat died. Dear Doctor Haynes, I started looking after a stray young tomcat (who I presume... (6182 views)

Poop caked on bum. I saw that my dog was acting stangely, so I examined him and saw that his bottom is... (21294 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (6722 views)