Why use jugular vein?

Breed: Long hair domestic,
Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've encountered, a blood draw has been out of the leg.

Hi there Betty...thanks so much for your question.

Believe it or not, the jugular vein is the recommended vein for taking blood from a cat. When we take blood from a leg we usually can only get a small blood volume. This is ok if we are doing a test that only needs a tiny amount of blood (such as a blood glucose level).

However, if we are doing a regular type of blood test we usually need 2-3 cc of blood. The only way to consistently do this is to take blood from the jugular vein.

Sometimes, this can look traumatic to a cat! Many cats do not like to stay still for blood collection. Often they can vocalize a lot to tell us they are not happy. And it is not uncommon to have some bruising at the site of the blood collection. It is challenging getting blood from a cat sometimes!

If you have more questions about how your cat was handled, let me know.

Won't eat dog food. Inherited my Mom's 4 year old terrier mix - 14 to 15 pounds - who has always eaten... (6250 views)

Is my dog overheating? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a simple question. Max is now a 74 lb 1yr old... (8795 views)

Bald itchy spots on a dog. Hi, I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different... (15278 views)

Older cat not eating. Hi.I have had my cat for approximately. She has been sick and has lost a lot of... (24035 views)

Dog scratching and biting. My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have... (17933 views)

Ivermectin toxicity? Help! I think that I am accidentally poisoning my boy 4 year old by giving him... (15353 views)

Tramadol online. My 8 year old English mastiff has pain due to hop problems. Her vet has prescribed... (8583 views)

Golden Retriever Smell Hello. I have two golden retrievers and the youngest is 11 months old. She has a... (43048 views)

Kitten's eye is sealed shut. My kitten got either calici virus or the herpes virus and it affected one eye. For... (17628 views)

Incontinent after exercise. Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have... (17883 views)