Why use jugular vein?

Breed: Long hair domestic,
Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've encountered, a blood draw has been out of the leg.

Hi there Betty...thanks so much for your question.

Believe it or not, the jugular vein is the recommended vein for taking blood from a cat. When we take blood from a leg we usually can only get a small blood volume. This is ok if we are doing a test that only needs a tiny amount of blood (such as a blood glucose level).

However, if we are doing a regular type of blood test we usually need 2-3 cc of blood. The only way to consistently do this is to take blood from the jugular vein.

Sometimes, this can look traumatic to a cat! Many cats do not like to stay still for blood collection. Often they can vocalize a lot to tell us they are not happy. And it is not uncommon to have some bruising at the site of the blood collection. It is challenging getting blood from a cat sometimes!

If you have more questions about how your cat was handled, let me know.

Painful erection for dog. Help Dr Marie, My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him... (17232 views)

Cause of death? Hi Dr. Marie, I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your... (5417 views)

Is my dog hypothyroid? My bichon is obese. She weighs 35 lbs but is also taller than my other bichon who... (6885 views)

Bottom lip tremor. my poodle has recently developed a bottom lip tremor. What would cause... (30913 views)

Calcification in the lungs. dog lung calcification Dear Dr.Mari, I hear some bad sounds whenever my dog... (7105 views)

Vuvlar tumor in a cat. Hello, 2 weeks ago i had my russian blue sterilised cat (elderly not sure how old... (10021 views)

Cat is sneezing a lot. I have a two year old cat. I adopted her from a shelter last December. When I... (30223 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (21699 views)

Good appetite in blind deaf cat. my cat is over 15 years old she is partially blind and deaf she misses her litterbox... (7890 views)

Trouble waking and dandruff. My male, neutered cat came from the back alley. I can't remember if we initally had... (5330 views)