Is parvo contagious?

Breed: Black Lab
I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now. Thank you for helping.

PARVO !!!

A friends named Zoey had a dog with Parvo, and had the dog put down 2 days ago.
1. What are the after concerns for Zoey now.
2. Zoey was in contact with an older adult Lab, and is worried. The Lab is showing no symptoms after 4 days now. Is the Lab at risk?
3. Zoey has quarrentined herself in her house and is cleaning with bleach. Should she be in quarrentine, and for how long?
4. I was in contact with Zoey as well, should I be quarrentined as well?

Thank you! This is an extreamely shocking disease!!

I'm sorry to hear that your friend's dog died of parvo. It is indeed a nasty virus.

Parvo can last in the environment for up to 2 years. However, in most cases, there can be parvo in the yard (where a puppy has had diarrhea) for up to 6 months. In the house, as long as things are cleaned with bleach there really shouldn't be a concern.

Parvo is spread via the diarrhea and vomit of an infected dog, so be sure to clean anywhere where the dog was sick.

It is unlikely that your friend spread parvo to the adult lab. There would have to be virus on her body and the dog would have to ingest it. So, for example, if she stepped in diarrhea from the puppy and then the lab licked her boots it could be spread.

The parvo vaccine is very effective so if the lab is vaccinated he should be fine. We rarely see adult dogs get parvo.

It sounds like you are Zoey are doing all of the right things.

Dog has split her nail. my dog has a toe nail that is split. it is causing her alot of pain. what do we do... (7407 views)

Can we give benadryl for allergic reaction? My 9 month old boxer puppy has been stung by a bee or bees, we think in his mouth. ... (9345 views)

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (9086 views)

Itchy ear Hi Dr. I have a 9 month old neutered male golden. Beginning last Saturday he... (12380 views)

Tick Borne Disease. I took my dog to the vet on both Friday and Saturday. He has a fever. He has a... (9023 views)

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (21301 views)

Rottweiler urinating frequently. my dog has getting let out all the time and and and recently she has been weeing... (6967 views)

Brown fur from licking. Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning... (42366 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (9975 views)

Needs anals done often. Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly... (8378 views)