Is parvo contagious?

Breed: Black Lab
I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now. Thank you for helping.

PARVO !!!

A friends named Zoey had a dog with Parvo, and had the dog put down 2 days ago.
1. What are the after concerns for Zoey now.
2. Zoey was in contact with an older adult Lab, and is worried. The Lab is showing no symptoms after 4 days now. Is the Lab at risk?
3. Zoey has quarrentined herself in her house and is cleaning with bleach. Should she be in quarrentine, and for how long?
4. I was in contact with Zoey as well, should I be quarrentined as well?

Thank you! This is an extreamely shocking disease!!

I'm sorry to hear that your friend's dog died of parvo. It is indeed a nasty virus.

Parvo can last in the environment for up to 2 years. However, in most cases, there can be parvo in the yard (where a puppy has had diarrhea) for up to 6 months. In the house, as long as things are cleaned with bleach there really shouldn't be a concern.

Parvo is spread via the diarrhea and vomit of an infected dog, so be sure to clean anywhere where the dog was sick.

It is unlikely that your friend spread parvo to the adult lab. There would have to be virus on her body and the dog would have to ingest it. So, for example, if she stepped in diarrhea from the puppy and then the lab licked her boots it could be spread.

The parvo vaccine is very effective so if the lab is vaccinated he should be fine. We rarely see adult dogs get parvo.

It sounds like you are Zoey are doing all of the right things.

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (8623 views)

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (26596 views)

Addison's disease? I've seen a few questions where people ask about what could have happened to their... (48982 views)

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (11796 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (22893 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet... (8181 views)

Run over by car. we have a small part pomeranian dog, she old, but not sure how old. she was... (8691 views)

Female dog humping. My female pit bull everyday, anytime I lay down on my couch or bed, she jumps up on... (7654 views)

Older cat losing weight. My eleven year old cat has congenital hipdisplasia however she has been happy... (19384 views)

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (8712 views)