Is parvo contagious?

Breed: Black Lab
I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now. Thank you for helping.

PARVO !!!

A friends named Zoey had a dog with Parvo, and had the dog put down 2 days ago.
1. What are the after concerns for Zoey now.
2. Zoey was in contact with an older adult Lab, and is worried. The Lab is showing no symptoms after 4 days now. Is the Lab at risk?
3. Zoey has quarrentined herself in her house and is cleaning with bleach. Should she be in quarrentine, and for how long?
4. I was in contact with Zoey as well, should I be quarrentined as well?

Thank you! This is an extreamely shocking disease!!

I'm sorry to hear that your friend's dog died of parvo. It is indeed a nasty virus.

Parvo can last in the environment for up to 2 years. However, in most cases, there can be parvo in the yard (where a puppy has had diarrhea) for up to 6 months. In the house, as long as things are cleaned with bleach there really shouldn't be a concern.

Parvo is spread via the diarrhea and vomit of an infected dog, so be sure to clean anywhere where the dog was sick.

It is unlikely that your friend spread parvo to the adult lab. There would have to be virus on her body and the dog would have to ingest it. So, for example, if she stepped in diarrhea from the puppy and then the lab licked her boots it could be spread.

The parvo vaccine is very effective so if the lab is vaccinated he should be fine. We rarely see adult dogs get parvo.

It sounds like you are Zoey are doing all of the right things.

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (8902 views)

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (5363 views)

Severe arthritis and leaking urine. Hi we have a 13 year old dog with long term hip dysplasia. he has cartrophen once a... (12906 views)

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (19357 views)

Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis. Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on... (5817 views)

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (22137 views)

Dog has distemper. My dog is coughing ,vomiting whatever he eats but he has appetite took him to a vet.... (8767 views)

Older dog having seizures. She has been having more vestibular events lately and closer to each other and I'm... (7839 views)

Kitten with runny nose. my kitten has had a runny nose with bad sneezing for 4 weeks now, shes eatting,... (12107 views)

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (15164 views)