Is parvo contagious?

Breed: Black Lab
I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now. Thank you for helping.

PARVO !!!

A friends named Zoey had a dog with Parvo, and had the dog put down 2 days ago.
1. What are the after concerns for Zoey now.
2. Zoey was in contact with an older adult Lab, and is worried. The Lab is showing no symptoms after 4 days now. Is the Lab at risk?
3. Zoey has quarrentined herself in her house and is cleaning with bleach. Should she be in quarrentine, and for how long?
4. I was in contact with Zoey as well, should I be quarrentined as well?

Thank you! This is an extreamely shocking disease!!

I'm sorry to hear that your friend's dog died of parvo. It is indeed a nasty virus.

Parvo can last in the environment for up to 2 years. However, in most cases, there can be parvo in the yard (where a puppy has had diarrhea) for up to 6 months. In the house, as long as things are cleaned with bleach there really shouldn't be a concern.

Parvo is spread via the diarrhea and vomit of an infected dog, so be sure to clean anywhere where the dog was sick.

It is unlikely that your friend spread parvo to the adult lab. There would have to be virus on her body and the dog would have to ingest it. So, for example, if she stepped in diarrhea from the puppy and then the lab licked her boots it could be spread.

The parvo vaccine is very effective so if the lab is vaccinated he should be fine. We rarely see adult dogs get parvo.

It sounds like you are Zoey are doing all of the right things.

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (13322 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (10356 views)

Dog with colonic tumor. Hi - Our nearly 11 year old male yellow lab has had quite a week. He has been... (18577 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (9001 views)

Cat vomits after eating wet food. My cat has been doing this strange thing, but only after she eats wet food. It... (11085 views)

Sick after having puppies. My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog... (11264 views)

Is mammary tumor cancerous? I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's... (4785 views)

Bump on roof of mouth. Hi I'm almost certain this is nothing. But I have an 8 week old golden male. I've... (32098 views)

Anxious lab. He is over weight 16-17 years old male last sat myself(brian) and my wife and son... (5221 views)

Cat puts her paw on my face. Why does my cat Bruski always put her paw on my face when shes sleeping shell keep... (23335 views)