Is parvo contagious?

Breed: Black Lab
I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now. Thank you for helping.

PARVO !!!

A friends named Zoey had a dog with Parvo, and had the dog put down 2 days ago.
1. What are the after concerns for Zoey now.
2. Zoey was in contact with an older adult Lab, and is worried. The Lab is showing no symptoms after 4 days now. Is the Lab at risk?
3. Zoey has quarrentined herself in her house and is cleaning with bleach. Should she be in quarrentine, and for how long?
4. I was in contact with Zoey as well, should I be quarrentined as well?

Thank you! This is an extreamely shocking disease!!

I'm sorry to hear that your friend's dog died of parvo. It is indeed a nasty virus.

Parvo can last in the environment for up to 2 years. However, in most cases, there can be parvo in the yard (where a puppy has had diarrhea) for up to 6 months. In the house, as long as things are cleaned with bleach there really shouldn't be a concern.

Parvo is spread via the diarrhea and vomit of an infected dog, so be sure to clean anywhere where the dog was sick.

It is unlikely that your friend spread parvo to the adult lab. There would have to be virus on her body and the dog would have to ingest it. So, for example, if she stepped in diarrhea from the puppy and then the lab licked her boots it could be spread.

The parvo vaccine is very effective so if the lab is vaccinated he should be fine. We rarely see adult dogs get parvo.

It sounds like you are Zoey are doing all of the right things.

Painful defecation. Hello again Dr. Marie I had contacted you just awhile ago about my cat Linus and... (5458 views)

Good cat foods. Hi Dr.! I'm currently a new cat owner. I found peachie wandering near the new... (15168 views)

Penis comes out when poops. Our 13 weekd old sprocker spaniel's penis is popping out when he poos. This only... (25547 views)

Liver shunt surgery. Recently I found out that the kitten I adopted a few months ago has a Portosystemic... (8417 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (25552 views)

Did cherry eye surgery fail? My 10 month old baby boy, ralphie, just had a cherry eye surgery yesterday. this... (22686 views)

Puppy with crystals. our registered golden retriever,Ginger, had a litter of puppies a few months ago(no... (11251 views)

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (5112 views)

Can we give benadryl for allergic reaction? My 9 month old boxer puppy has been stung by a bee or bees, we think in his mouth. ... (10629 views)

Paying for megacolon surgery. hello my cat has mega-colon my question is do you know of any place that might be... (8633 views)