Cat pooping on floor.

Breed: Domestic short hair
We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the floor for about 3-4 months. We clean the litter boxes regularly and I use a pet odor remover when he does poop on the carpet. He has been declawed. He doesn't pee at all, just the pooping. My husband is ready to take him to the pound if it doesn't stop. He is such a loving cat, and I don't know what else to do. Please help me.
Michelle McCawley, Louisville, ky

This is definitely a frustrating problem! It sounds like you are doing all of the right things. I'll give you a few ideas that you can think about.

I would suggest you get rid of all of your litter boxes and replace them with new ones. Sometimes a box can retain odors that our noses don't detect but cats can.

Next, I usually recommend one more litter box than the number of cats you have.

You can also experiment with different sizes of boxes, different types of litter and covered versus non covered boxes.

If there is a particular room that he likes to poop in you can try putting pee pads down in this area. Most cats will poop on these pads quite willingly. If he does this then you can gradually move the pad closer and closer to the room where the litter boxes are. You may be able to retrain him to use the box properly.

If none of these things are working then you can talk to your vet about using a medication such as amitryptiline. This will often help eliminate unwanted behaviors.

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (19757 views)

Dog licking anus after vaccines. The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her... (11035 views)

Bobcat with lump. Hi,I was wondering about my bobcat mix... He is 3 mo old ..we found him when he was... (7724 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (11645 views)

Ear mites? My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I... (9807 views)

Painful erection My 9 month old dog, Jack, has been getting erections that last up to about 10... (22227 views)

Coughing and not eating. I recently adopted Bell (female) and Sid (6 month old male from a local animal... (5820 views)

Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis. Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on... (6166 views)

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (42699 views)

Biting her paws. my dog is biting her paws why is she? she had fleas but we gave her a pill so when... (6639 views)