Cat pooping on floor.

Breed: Domestic short hair
We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the floor for about 3-4 months. We clean the litter boxes regularly and I use a pet odor remover when he does poop on the carpet. He has been declawed. He doesn't pee at all, just the pooping. My husband is ready to take him to the pound if it doesn't stop. He is such a loving cat, and I don't know what else to do. Please help me.
Michelle McCawley, Louisville, ky

This is definitely a frustrating problem! It sounds like you are doing all of the right things. I'll give you a few ideas that you can think about.

I would suggest you get rid of all of your litter boxes and replace them with new ones. Sometimes a box can retain odors that our noses don't detect but cats can.

Next, I usually recommend one more litter box than the number of cats you have.

You can also experiment with different sizes of boxes, different types of litter and covered versus non covered boxes.

If there is a particular room that he likes to poop in you can try putting pee pads down in this area. Most cats will poop on these pads quite willingly. If he does this then you can gradually move the pad closer and closer to the room where the litter boxes are. You may be able to retrain him to use the box properly.

If none of these things are working then you can talk to your vet about using a medication such as amitryptiline. This will often help eliminate unwanted behaviors.

Symptoms of Lupus Help! owners have spent $1100 on test and everything comes back normal but Archie is... (10880 views)

Peeing on walls. Okay,I have a female spayed 2 year old cat and never sprayed walls and peed walls.... (14184 views)

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (32671 views)

Did convenia cause death? Dear Dr. Marie, My beloved pet has died just seven days after receiving a shot of... (12858 views)

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (8045 views)

Can dogs eat fruits and vegetables? Can dogs eat vegatbles or fruits. Thank... (11445 views)

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (17072 views)

Stop dog fighting. Hi I have 3 dogs and the one dog is a bit pushy towards the other dogs, she will... (5190 views)

Puppy stepped on. my 7 wk old pure staffie has just been accidently stood on by one foot of my 14-15... (42777 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (11384 views)