Cat pooping on floor.

Breed: Domestic short hair
We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the floor for about 3-4 months. We clean the litter boxes regularly and I use a pet odor remover when he does poop on the carpet. He has been declawed. He doesn't pee at all, just the pooping. My husband is ready to take him to the pound if it doesn't stop. He is such a loving cat, and I don't know what else to do. Please help me.
Michelle McCawley, Louisville, ky

This is definitely a frustrating problem! It sounds like you are doing all of the right things. I'll give you a few ideas that you can think about.

I would suggest you get rid of all of your litter boxes and replace them with new ones. Sometimes a box can retain odors that our noses don't detect but cats can.

Next, I usually recommend one more litter box than the number of cats you have.

You can also experiment with different sizes of boxes, different types of litter and covered versus non covered boxes.

If there is a particular room that he likes to poop in you can try putting pee pads down in this area. Most cats will poop on these pads quite willingly. If he does this then you can gradually move the pad closer and closer to the room where the litter boxes are. You may be able to retrain him to use the box properly.

If none of these things are working then you can talk to your vet about using a medication such as amitryptiline. This will often help eliminate unwanted behaviors.

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (22772 views)

Dog or cat pooping in house. Everyday – twice a day – morning and when I get home from work –... (21410 views)

Heavy breathing in dog. My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time,... (16563 views)

The euthanasia procedure. I had to euthanize my 18.5 year old cat Quincy on Monday. He suffered from CRF and... (15436 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is 17 years old. She has had kidney disease for five years. I have multiple... (23481 views)

Kitten is bleeding from vagina. since ive got my kitten she has been crying alot, ive noticed her bleeding aswell... (16201 views)

Deaf and pooping in house. My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the... (11749 views)

Safe fruits and vegetables for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a young cat who likes to eat certain fruit and vegetables,... (25656 views)

Why did my dog die? Hi, My dog died recently. She was 11 yr.s 9 mo.s old, about 55-60 lbs.,... (161848 views)

Suddenly jumps up. I have a dauschund and sheltie mix dog. He's about 3 years old. I've had him for 2... (80077 views)