Cat pooping on floor.

Breed: Domestic short hair
We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the floor for about 3-4 months. We clean the litter boxes regularly and I use a pet odor remover when he does poop on the carpet. He has been declawed. He doesn't pee at all, just the pooping. My husband is ready to take him to the pound if it doesn't stop. He is such a loving cat, and I don't know what else to do. Please help me.
Michelle McCawley, Louisville, ky

This is definitely a frustrating problem! It sounds like you are doing all of the right things. I'll give you a few ideas that you can think about.

I would suggest you get rid of all of your litter boxes and replace them with new ones. Sometimes a box can retain odors that our noses don't detect but cats can.

Next, I usually recommend one more litter box than the number of cats you have.

You can also experiment with different sizes of boxes, different types of litter and covered versus non covered boxes.

If there is a particular room that he likes to poop in you can try putting pee pads down in this area. Most cats will poop on these pads quite willingly. If he does this then you can gradually move the pad closer and closer to the room where the litter boxes are. You may be able to retrain him to use the box properly.

If none of these things are working then you can talk to your vet about using a medication such as amitryptiline. This will often help eliminate unwanted behaviors.

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (33261 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (11353 views)

Will spay terminate pregnancy? It is a possibility my dog might be pregnant. But my mom wants to get her spayed... (13864 views)

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (9716 views)

Dog leaking urine. Good Evening. Charlot is a rescued dog so I do know his history prior to his new... (12667 views)

Can a dog be born with rabies. does dog have rabbies when they were... (13460 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (11772 views)

pain after root canal Had major teeth work performed about 3 months ago as we noticed her breath and she... (7545 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (299648 views)

Golden with itchy abdomen. Hello My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside... (33133 views)