Cat pooping on floor.

Breed: Domestic short hair
We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the floor for about 3-4 months. We clean the litter boxes regularly and I use a pet odor remover when he does poop on the carpet. He has been declawed. He doesn't pee at all, just the pooping. My husband is ready to take him to the pound if it doesn't stop. He is such a loving cat, and I don't know what else to do. Please help me.
Michelle McCawley, Louisville, ky

This is definitely a frustrating problem! It sounds like you are doing all of the right things. I'll give you a few ideas that you can think about.

I would suggest you get rid of all of your litter boxes and replace them with new ones. Sometimes a box can retain odors that our noses don't detect but cats can.

Next, I usually recommend one more litter box than the number of cats you have.

You can also experiment with different sizes of boxes, different types of litter and covered versus non covered boxes.

If there is a particular room that he likes to poop in you can try putting pee pads down in this area. Most cats will poop on these pads quite willingly. If he does this then you can gradually move the pad closer and closer to the room where the litter boxes are. You may be able to retrain him to use the box properly.

If none of these things are working then you can talk to your vet about using a medication such as amitryptiline. This will often help eliminate unwanted behaviors.

Dime sized sore above eye. Turbo has a dime size sore just above his left eye. Ive tried washing with peroxide... (16196 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (5341 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (4849 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (37235 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (4684 views)

Best cloth bedding for guinea pigs. I wanted to make a new bed for my guinea pig's house (her "nest"). Are there any... (7492 views)

High liver enzymes. I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming... (11227 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (7675 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (19497 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (293113 views)