Kennel cough not getting better.

Breed: english bulldog

My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had 10 days of antibiotics and now I am using an aerosol with antibiotic and phlegm liquifier in it which he uses 2x a day + natural cough syrup. I think this is a long time. Whilst there is some improvement, he still gets bouts of coughing, throwing up white foam and sometimes his food. I've been to my vet"s 3X already because of this.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Marie

Hi Marie and thanks for your question!

Kennel cough can indeed be frustrating. I have been noticing over the last couple of years that some of my cases have taken quite a long time to recover. My suspicion is that there is either a new strain of kennel cough out there or perhaps these dogs actually have influenza which can take longer to recover from.

The good news is that these dogs do eventually recover.

It sounds like your vet is doing all of the right things. A few things I can add (if not already done) is to do a deworming treatment and also take xrays.

As long as Buster is not getting worse and eating ok I would not be too worried.

Let's pray his recovery is complete soon!

Thank you Dr. Marie. He has indeed been re-wormed and I guess I'll just need to be patient. He has to go for his last shot for leptospirosis but our vet wants his cough cleared up first.

Cheers,
Marie

Sounds like a good plan! I hope all is well soon!

Allergic to grass? My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and... (17170 views)

Biting at cysts. I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several... (8706 views)

Yellow diarrhea and runny eyes. i have a kitten that has diarreah yellowish in color. she acts like she has a hard... (7425 views)

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (14807 views)

Peeing on walls. Okay,I have a female spayed 2 year old cat and never sprayed walls and peed walls.... (13920 views)

Can dogs eat carrots? hi i have a rabbit and a dog. the dog is a shoodle cross between shitzu and a... (14031 views)

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (33808 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (108257 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (11387 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (8247 views)