Kennel cough not getting better.

Breed: english bulldog

My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had 10 days of antibiotics and now I am using an aerosol with antibiotic and phlegm liquifier in it which he uses 2x a day + natural cough syrup. I think this is a long time. Whilst there is some improvement, he still gets bouts of coughing, throwing up white foam and sometimes his food. I've been to my vet"s 3X already because of this.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Marie

Hi Marie and thanks for your question!

Kennel cough can indeed be frustrating. I have been noticing over the last couple of years that some of my cases have taken quite a long time to recover. My suspicion is that there is either a new strain of kennel cough out there or perhaps these dogs actually have influenza which can take longer to recover from.

The good news is that these dogs do eventually recover.

It sounds like your vet is doing all of the right things. A few things I can add (if not already done) is to do a deworming treatment and also take xrays.

As long as Buster is not getting worse and eating ok I would not be too worried.

Let's pray his recovery is complete soon!

Thank you Dr. Marie. He has indeed been re-wormed and I guess I'll just need to be patient. He has to go for his last shot for leptospirosis but our vet wants his cough cleared up first.

Cheers,
Marie

Sounds like a good plan! I hope all is well soon!

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (10918 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (12520 views)

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (15404 views)

Boyfriend doesn't want to neuter dog. My boyfriend and I are arguing about whether to get our dog neutered. He is a pit... (11084 views)

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (11481 views)

Puppy died suddenly. I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They... (20323 views)

Milo's chicken jerky safety? Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm concerned about the chicken... (10040 views)

Stopped prednisolone suddenly. Hi Dr. Marie, My 2.5 year old cat, Pebbles, was diagnosed with pretty severe... (24053 views)

Red spots My dog has been developed having red spot (lots of round and red spot with hair loss... (37403 views)

Patches of hair loss on snout. Hi, my dog Penelope has started to develop a patch of hair loss on the right side of... (20469 views)