Kennel cough not getting better.

Breed: english bulldog

My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had 10 days of antibiotics and now I am using an aerosol with antibiotic and phlegm liquifier in it which he uses 2x a day + natural cough syrup. I think this is a long time. Whilst there is some improvement, he still gets bouts of coughing, throwing up white foam and sometimes his food. I've been to my vet"s 3X already because of this.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Marie

Hi Marie and thanks for your question!

Kennel cough can indeed be frustrating. I have been noticing over the last couple of years that some of my cases have taken quite a long time to recover. My suspicion is that there is either a new strain of kennel cough out there or perhaps these dogs actually have influenza which can take longer to recover from.

The good news is that these dogs do eventually recover.

It sounds like your vet is doing all of the right things. A few things I can add (if not already done) is to do a deworming treatment and also take xrays.

As long as Buster is not getting worse and eating ok I would not be too worried.

Let's pray his recovery is complete soon!

Thank you Dr. Marie. He has indeed been re-wormed and I guess I'll just need to be patient. He has to go for his last shot for leptospirosis but our vet wants his cough cleared up first.

Cheers,
Marie

Sounds like a good plan! I hope all is well soon!

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (19221 views)

Thyroid cancer? Hello, about 10 months ago my dog started heavily panting while playing with her... (12295 views)

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (47453 views)

Trembling chihuahua. SHE HAS BEEN TREMBLING FOR 2 DAYS AND HAS NOT EATEN FOR FOR 2 DAYS. OTHERWISE SHE... (9737 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes. Hi Dr. Marie, My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). ... (13352 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (20809 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (7001 views)

How to keep dogs from breeding. Hi there, I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix... (6305 views)

Disinfecting dishes. Hello Marie, I am contacting you again to ask a question about a part of my cat... (11435 views)

Pit bull with pink skin. I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately... (44358 views)