Kennel cough not getting better.

Breed: english bulldog

My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had 10 days of antibiotics and now I am using an aerosol with antibiotic and phlegm liquifier in it which he uses 2x a day + natural cough syrup. I think this is a long time. Whilst there is some improvement, he still gets bouts of coughing, throwing up white foam and sometimes his food. I've been to my vet"s 3X already because of this.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Marie

Hi Marie and thanks for your question!

Kennel cough can indeed be frustrating. I have been noticing over the last couple of years that some of my cases have taken quite a long time to recover. My suspicion is that there is either a new strain of kennel cough out there or perhaps these dogs actually have influenza which can take longer to recover from.

The good news is that these dogs do eventually recover.

It sounds like your vet is doing all of the right things. A few things I can add (if not already done) is to do a deworming treatment and also take xrays.

As long as Buster is not getting worse and eating ok I would not be too worried.

Let's pray his recovery is complete soon!

Thank you Dr. Marie. He has indeed been re-wormed and I guess I'll just need to be patient. He has to go for his last shot for leptospirosis but our vet wants his cough cleared up first.

Cheers,
Marie

Sounds like a good plan! I hope all is well soon!

Dog died after surgery. Last Monday our dog Ben began throwing up. He also stopped eating. It lessened on... (26272 views)

Kittens died. My 9-10 month old cat had five kittens. No problem delivering. Kittens seemed... (11515 views)

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (14287 views)

Pale gums and seizure. Hi, 2 months ago buddy would go outside and if he would run/play hard he would come... (10596 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (11316 views)

Sick after eating Iams ProHealth. My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now... (9605 views)

Bitten by copperhead snake. My mom's 14 week old puppy got bit by a snake. Didn't see the snake. What should... (9917 views)

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (14565 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (14460 views)

Reduced appetite in kitten. Hello Dr. Marie, My 6 month old kitten has suddenly started eating less. She... (16676 views)