Kennel cough not getting better.

Breed: english bulldog

My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had 10 days of antibiotics and now I am using an aerosol with antibiotic and phlegm liquifier in it which he uses 2x a day + natural cough syrup. I think this is a long time. Whilst there is some improvement, he still gets bouts of coughing, throwing up white foam and sometimes his food. I've been to my vet"s 3X already because of this.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Marie

Hi Marie and thanks for your question!

Kennel cough can indeed be frustrating. I have been noticing over the last couple of years that some of my cases have taken quite a long time to recover. My suspicion is that there is either a new strain of kennel cough out there or perhaps these dogs actually have influenza which can take longer to recover from.

The good news is that these dogs do eventually recover.

It sounds like your vet is doing all of the right things. A few things I can add (if not already done) is to do a deworming treatment and also take xrays.

As long as Buster is not getting worse and eating ok I would not be too worried.

Let's pray his recovery is complete soon!

Thank you Dr. Marie. He has indeed been re-wormed and I guess I'll just need to be patient. He has to go for his last shot for leptospirosis but our vet wants his cough cleared up first.

Cheers,
Marie

Sounds like a good plan! I hope all is well soon!

Meibomian gland adenoma? This past week Murphy (4 year old Irish Setter) developed what I thought was a small... (231319 views)

Gerbil has rash on nose. My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are... (8511 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (8944 views)

In heat cat spay. Dear Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed today (by laser). When I picked her up the vet... (13154 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (83443 views)

Vomiting puppy. I know this is a free answer but I love my puppy,dont have a credit card and spent... (8748 views)

Dog biting at tail. My dog Kita is biting her tail down to the skin and Im getting worried because our... (7765 views)

Dog ate vitamin D Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch... (90968 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (31571 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (5240 views)