Is mammary tumor cancerous?

Breed: Chihuahua and Dachsh
I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's breast. Vet said there's a 50% chance it is cancer and there is a 5% chance dog would not survive surgery. I am unsure what to do. If dog doesn't survive surgery I'll never forgive myself. Can they do a biopsy w/out anesthesia to see if it's even cancerous? Thanks so much.

Unfortunately with mammary tumors, doing a fine needle aspirate usually doesn't tell us much about whether the tumor is benign or malignant.

I'm surprised your vet said there was a 5% chance that she would not survive surgery. Does she have other health issues such as a loud heart murmur?

In my practice if I saw a dog with a small mammary tumor I would always recommend removing the tumor and sending it away to find out what it was. And as your vet mentioned, with mammary tumors there is a 50/50 chance that it is cancerous.

I hope everything goes ok!

Vomiting 3 times per day. My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a... (20000 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (8595 views)

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (18125 views)

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (5587 views)

Lump on dog's foot. Hello, my 12 month old female boxer has a small pink lump on her toe/paw. I noticed... (26951 views)

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (48113 views)

Trouble breathing when drinking cold water. My dog Valentino is 16 years old and many times when he drinks water or he is... (11794 views)

Sick kitten We recently found this kitten last week outside, when we found him we estimated that... (8640 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (16016 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (10681 views)