Is mammary tumor cancerous?

Breed: Chihuahua and Dachsh
I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's breast. Vet said there's a 50% chance it is cancer and there is a 5% chance dog would not survive surgery. I am unsure what to do. If dog doesn't survive surgery I'll never forgive myself. Can they do a biopsy w/out anesthesia to see if it's even cancerous? Thanks so much.

Unfortunately with mammary tumors, doing a fine needle aspirate usually doesn't tell us much about whether the tumor is benign or malignant.

I'm surprised your vet said there was a 5% chance that she would not survive surgery. Does she have other health issues such as a loud heart murmur?

In my practice if I saw a dog with a small mammary tumor I would always recommend removing the tumor and sending it away to find out what it was. And as your vet mentioned, with mammary tumors there is a 50/50 chance that it is cancerous.

I hope everything goes ok!

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (24030 views)

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (54761 views)

Trembling chihuahua. SHE HAS BEEN TREMBLING FOR 2 DAYS AND HAS NOT EATEN FOR FOR 2 DAYS. OTHERWISE SHE... (8816 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (4566 views)

Trouble breathing when drinking cold water. My dog Valentino is 16 years old and many times when he drinks water or he is... (11288 views)

Itchy scrotum after grooming. Our dog is constantly licking his area where his testicles used to be (he is... (24532 views)

Cat not eating. Hello, Dr. Haynes - My cat Simon doesn't seem to be eating or drinking very much... (49198 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (8381 views)

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (15179 views)

Tail fell off. My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues... (9852 views)