Is mammary tumor cancerous?

Breed: Chihuahua and Dachsh
I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's breast. Vet said there's a 50% chance it is cancer and there is a 5% chance dog would not survive surgery. I am unsure what to do. If dog doesn't survive surgery I'll never forgive myself. Can they do a biopsy w/out anesthesia to see if it's even cancerous? Thanks so much.

Unfortunately with mammary tumors, doing a fine needle aspirate usually doesn't tell us much about whether the tumor is benign or malignant.

I'm surprised your vet said there was a 5% chance that she would not survive surgery. Does she have other health issues such as a loud heart murmur?

In my practice if I saw a dog with a small mammary tumor I would always recommend removing the tumor and sending it away to find out what it was. And as your vet mentioned, with mammary tumors there is a 50/50 chance that it is cancerous.

I hope everything goes ok!

Kitten with large belly. Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the... (9918 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (49008 views)

Can't move back legs. Cat is not able to move back legs and yowling. Maybe paralyzed? No accidents. Need... (14910 views)

Male dog - trouble urinating. Hello! Just recently my dog started peeing everywhere. When he stands up its almost... (29104 views)

Itchy between anus and penis. My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's... (30948 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (13384 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (6845 views)

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (6972 views)

Infection in nose and eye. HI, My dog Bear is 10 yr old black Lab. He weighs 110lb he is overweight, but he is... (7217 views)

Guinea Pig Pregnancy info. Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes... (13734 views)