Is mammary tumor cancerous?

Breed: Chihuahua and Dachsh
I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's breast. Vet said there's a 50% chance it is cancer and there is a 5% chance dog would not survive surgery. I am unsure what to do. If dog doesn't survive surgery I'll never forgive myself. Can they do a biopsy w/out anesthesia to see if it's even cancerous? Thanks so much.

Unfortunately with mammary tumors, doing a fine needle aspirate usually doesn't tell us much about whether the tumor is benign or malignant.

I'm surprised your vet said there was a 5% chance that she would not survive surgery. Does she have other health issues such as a loud heart murmur?

In my practice if I saw a dog with a small mammary tumor I would always recommend removing the tumor and sending it away to find out what it was. And as your vet mentioned, with mammary tumors there is a 50/50 chance that it is cancerous.

I hope everything goes ok!

Health problems. WE DO NEED A QUICK ANSWER, BUT IN CASE DOG WILL HANG ON, HERE GOES: 10 YRS OLD... (7867 views)

Heat symptoms pregnant cat. My cat is pregnant but still acting like she's in season, this has been going on now... (5422 views)

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (9903 views)

Possible spleen cancer. About 2 wks ago noticed lack of appetite and lethargy. Took her to the vet who said... (10706 views)

Noticing metallic odor. Hi! I recently adopted a dog from a NYC euth list. I've had her for about 3 weeks... (36147 views)

Dog jealous over owner. My female dog is 2 years old. She's a black lab. She had puppies and my boyfriend... (19684 views)

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (4321 views)

Is rescue cat in pain? Hello I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She... (8161 views)

Sores on dog's leg. My dog recently got theses two sores on her back leg, one bigger than the other. Its... (8612 views)

Why did my cat die? my cat was fine one day and the next he stopped everything he only walked when... (9455 views)