Kitten with large belly.

Breed: unknown
Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the last month or so. I thought his stomach was swollen when i first seen him and i think it's definately gettin worse. He has a large bulge on each side. He is eating very well but i'm worried about him. There's no way i can lift him either because he goes mad. What could it be and what can i do for him? Thank you.

Thanks for your question. There are several reasons for a cat to have a large belly.

When I see a young cat or kitten with a large belly a cause can be roundworms. Roundworms would be easy to treat without catching the cat, if you are able to hide some deworming medication in some food. For roundworm most over the counter Dewormers should work just fine. You will want to repeat it in 10-14 days as well.

Are we sure that Ted is a boy? Another possible reason for a large belly would be a pregnancy! Cats are pregnant for 63 days, so if there is still a large belly after 2 months then this is not the reason why.

Another possible reason for a large belly is a virus called FIP. Unfortunately there is no cure for FIP and it is eventually fatal.

Diarrhea with blood. my dog, i just recently changed his dog food. and i got home and saw diarrhea... (26363 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (22247 views)

Kitten has diarrhea Hi, my four month old cat has not stopped doing runny poos since i have had her. i... (10341 views)

Gentamycin and deafness? Hope you can help with my question. I have a 11 year old cat named Emma, that has... (6912 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (20498 views)

congested kitten Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on &... (12615 views)

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (22344 views)

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (38473 views)

Older dog acting strange. I have had Dakota since he was 3 months old and he will be 12 in January. The... (12721 views)

Start vaccines over? i just have had my dog for 3 months, not sure what shots have been given no record,... (6703 views)