Kitten with large belly.

Breed: unknown
Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the last month or so. I thought his stomach was swollen when i first seen him and i think it's definately gettin worse. He has a large bulge on each side. He is eating very well but i'm worried about him. There's no way i can lift him either because he goes mad. What could it be and what can i do for him? Thank you.

Thanks for your question. There are several reasons for a cat to have a large belly.

When I see a young cat or kitten with a large belly a cause can be roundworms. Roundworms would be easy to treat without catching the cat, if you are able to hide some deworming medication in some food. For roundworm most over the counter Dewormers should work just fine. You will want to repeat it in 10-14 days as well.

Are we sure that Ted is a boy? Another possible reason for a large belly would be a pregnancy! Cats are pregnant for 63 days, so if there is still a large belly after 2 months then this is not the reason why.

Another possible reason for a large belly is a virus called FIP. Unfortunately there is no cure for FIP and it is eventually fatal.

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (13519 views)

Is my dog overheating? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a simple question. Max is now a 74 lb 1yr old... (9012 views)

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (15907 views)

Lump on ferret's face. My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now... (8935 views)

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (12791 views)

Vomiting every day. My cat has been throwing up almost every day for weeks but not after feeding. This... (30974 views)

Vaccinate against parvo? Chester is about 10 weeks he was a stray he now has Parvo but I think recovering at... (5233 views)

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (10249 views)

Coconut milk for dogs. Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was... (109556 views)

Testicle tumor and incontinence. my 11 year old dog has a swollen testicle, (a friend told me it may be a tumor), he... (8382 views)