Kitten with large belly.

Breed: unknown
Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the last month or so. I thought his stomach was swollen when i first seen him and i think it's definately gettin worse. He has a large bulge on each side. He is eating very well but i'm worried about him. There's no way i can lift him either because he goes mad. What could it be and what can i do for him? Thank you.

Thanks for your question. There are several reasons for a cat to have a large belly.

When I see a young cat or kitten with a large belly a cause can be roundworms. Roundworms would be easy to treat without catching the cat, if you are able to hide some deworming medication in some food. For roundworm most over the counter Dewormers should work just fine. You will want to repeat it in 10-14 days as well.

Are we sure that Ted is a boy? Another possible reason for a large belly would be a pregnancy! Cats are pregnant for 63 days, so if there is still a large belly after 2 months then this is not the reason why.

Another possible reason for a large belly is a virus called FIP. Unfortunately there is no cure for FIP and it is eventually fatal.

Skin problems. i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been... (14132 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (9350 views)

Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting. my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently... (12115 views)

Dog ate collar. Our dog ate half of a leather, metal studded collar about a week ago, which after a... (15607 views)

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (10744 views)

Does high pitch affect seizures? Hello there, I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me... (12775 views)

Kitten urinating in house. we adopted a 4 month old kitten 3 weeks ago. yesterday he urinated on my husbands... (7378 views)

Puppy chewing legs and licking penis Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs,... (30324 views)

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (33321 views)

Pit bull with pink skin. I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately... (49927 views)