Kitten with large belly.

Breed: unknown
Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the last month or so. I thought his stomach was swollen when i first seen him and i think it's definately gettin worse. He has a large bulge on each side. He is eating very well but i'm worried about him. There's no way i can lift him either because he goes mad. What could it be and what can i do for him? Thank you.

Thanks for your question. There are several reasons for a cat to have a large belly.

When I see a young cat or kitten with a large belly a cause can be roundworms. Roundworms would be easy to treat without catching the cat, if you are able to hide some deworming medication in some food. For roundworm most over the counter Dewormers should work just fine. You will want to repeat it in 10-14 days as well.

Are we sure that Ted is a boy? Another possible reason for a large belly would be a pregnancy! Cats are pregnant for 63 days, so if there is still a large belly after 2 months then this is not the reason why.

Another possible reason for a large belly is a virus called FIP. Unfortunately there is no cure for FIP and it is eventually fatal.

Puppies with dandruff. We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it... (6849 views)

Bald spots on cat's legs. I moved from Los Angeles to St.Louis with my cat. For a few months now I've noticed... (14948 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (10722 views)

Ringworm treatment in cat. First, thank you for your previous help with my questions. I have 2 issues with... (17198 views)

Lab swallowed a shotgun shell. my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i... (9564 views)

Introducing kittens. hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the... (8201 views)

Cat losing fur. Hi Why is my cats fur on his back all falling off in large clumps, other than that... (22415 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in pregnancy. My dog has had 1 or 2 ties and it's been about a week now and she's starting to have... (6258 views)

1 month puppy can't poop. She has been constipated for 3 days. We have put half tsp. olive oil in food, giving... (13578 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (7693 views)