Kitten with large belly.

Breed: unknown
Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the last month or so. I thought his stomach was swollen when i first seen him and i think it's definately gettin worse. He has a large bulge on each side. He is eating very well but i'm worried about him. There's no way i can lift him either because he goes mad. What could it be and what can i do for him? Thank you.

Thanks for your question. There are several reasons for a cat to have a large belly.

When I see a young cat or kitten with a large belly a cause can be roundworms. Roundworms would be easy to treat without catching the cat, if you are able to hide some deworming medication in some food. For roundworm most over the counter Dewormers should work just fine. You will want to repeat it in 10-14 days as well.

Are we sure that Ted is a boy? Another possible reason for a large belly would be a pregnancy! Cats are pregnant for 63 days, so if there is still a large belly after 2 months then this is not the reason why.

Another possible reason for a large belly is a virus called FIP. Unfortunately there is no cure for FIP and it is eventually fatal.

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (6344 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (9757 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (17603 views)

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (14229 views)

Painful erection for dog. Help Dr Marie, My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him... (16784 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (4848 views)

Eye problem. Chances eyes are really red all the time and gets a bunch of eye snot I clean it out... (8587 views)

Praziquantal safe in pregnancy? She has been wormed and I also have wormer I do every six months but recently I have... (8636 views)

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (36811 views)

Mole on dog's leg. My dog has what looks like a mole on his leg, do dogs have moles or should I take... (13548 views)