Kitten with large belly.

Breed: unknown
Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the last month or so. I thought his stomach was swollen when i first seen him and i think it's definately gettin worse. He has a large bulge on each side. He is eating very well but i'm worried about him. There's no way i can lift him either because he goes mad. What could it be and what can i do for him? Thank you.

Thanks for your question. There are several reasons for a cat to have a large belly.

When I see a young cat or kitten with a large belly a cause can be roundworms. Roundworms would be easy to treat without catching the cat, if you are able to hide some deworming medication in some food. For roundworm most over the counter Dewormers should work just fine. You will want to repeat it in 10-14 days as well.

Are we sure that Ted is a boy? Another possible reason for a large belly would be a pregnancy! Cats are pregnant for 63 days, so if there is still a large belly after 2 months then this is not the reason why.

Another possible reason for a large belly is a virus called FIP. Unfortunately there is no cure for FIP and it is eventually fatal.

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (10608 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (10821 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (35996 views)

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (5841 views)

Kitten died. Hello I work at the humane society. We recently adopted out a 13 week old long... (8492 views)

Antibiotics for pyometra? my dog has pyometra what are the chances with survival after antibotic injection... (9634 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (12255 views)

4 year old cat not eating. My 4 year old cat, who normally is a great eater, isn't eating much at all. She... (6937 views)

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (29205 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (8820 views)