Kitten with large belly.

Breed: unknown
Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the last month or so. I thought his stomach was swollen when i first seen him and i think it's definately gettin worse. He has a large bulge on each side. He is eating very well but i'm worried about him. There's no way i can lift him either because he goes mad. What could it be and what can i do for him? Thank you.

Thanks for your question. There are several reasons for a cat to have a large belly.

When I see a young cat or kitten with a large belly a cause can be roundworms. Roundworms would be easy to treat without catching the cat, if you are able to hide some deworming medication in some food. For roundworm most over the counter Dewormers should work just fine. You will want to repeat it in 10-14 days as well.

Are we sure that Ted is a boy? Another possible reason for a large belly would be a pregnancy! Cats are pregnant for 63 days, so if there is still a large belly after 2 months then this is not the reason why.

Another possible reason for a large belly is a virus called FIP. Unfortunately there is no cure for FIP and it is eventually fatal.

Different pupil sizes in older cat. I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other... (28360 views)

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (12119 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (9477 views)

Megacolon cat with problems. Addie was diagnosed with megacolon at age 2. The vet prescribed medications - I... (9615 views)

Wheezing then died. We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just... (8452 views)

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (10059 views)

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (8544 views)

Dogs with occasional diarrhea. I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5... (34346 views)

Pooping in the house. Hi Ipurchased a dog from a pet rescue organisation in Sydney just over three months... (16101 views)

Ear cropping for boxers? should a boxers ear be cut off or let them grow? and my pets name is not any of your... (9336 views)