Ear mite treatment for dogs and cats.

Breed: Pitbull/Shepard Mix
I just noticed the other day that my cat and dog has alot of brown stuff in there ears after doing some research online I found that it was ear mites. I'm not working right now and I cannot afford to bring them to the vet, Can you please tell me how I can get rid of the mites? Thanks so much!

Ear mites are a possibility but another possibility is an ear infection. However, with both the dog and the cat affected I think ear mites are most likely.

The medication that I use the most for ear mites is Revolution which is a little tube of liquid that is put on the skin on the back of the neck. It works amazingly well. However, it is a prescription product and you can only get it with a written prescription from your vet.

Sometimes an over the counter ear mite treatment but I have not always found these to be effective.

It also helps to use an ear cleaner to remove the debris.

However, if this is an ear infection then they almost always need to be treated with prescription medications from the vet, in which case a visit would be necessary.

Is my cat diabetic? Ollie is consuming lots of water, and peeing a lot. There has been a marked increase... (6204 views)

Is this a flea problem? My small 3 year old in door cat very recently survived a bout with flea anemia. We... (10151 views)

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (59799 views)

Hyperthyroid older cat. Dear Dr. Marie: My cat is 25 years old and has been relatively healthy in the 10... (8510 views)

Blood behind dog's ears. I noticed a couple of days ago what looked like mud behind her ears, now it's bloody... (35820 views)

Does my cat have glaucoma? About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing that Mietzi's right pupil would always stay... (6043 views)

Kitten with large belly. Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the... (11100 views)

Guinea Pig Pregnancy info. Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes... (15189 views)

Repeated ear infections. Hi! My dog Opie is a five-and-a-half-year-old, male (neutered) red sable... (12908 views)

Loose black stools. Sid is older, lately his stools ate loose and turn black? He can tell time and... (5418 views)