White eye discharge in Guinea Pig.

Breed: guinea pig
i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has soom kind of white stuff coming out of her eyes. she is still eating and drinking but she seems very depressed and i dont know what to do.

Sorry to hear that your guinea pig is not well.

A white discharge from the eyes can be an eye infection. Some piggies will get either a chlamydia infection in the eye or a yeast infection which could produce a white discharge. Either of these would need to be treated with medication that would be prescribed by your veterinarian.

Another possibility is a problem with a tooth root. An overgrown tooth root can block off a tear duct. If this is the case, this could account for her losing weight as she may be eating less with a sore tooth.

A tooth problem can be difficult to diagnose. Your vet may need to administer an anesthetic in order to have a good look and hopefully, if it is a tooth root it is something that they can fix!

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (9205 views)

Dog having seizures. Hi Dr. Marie, My regular vet left to go on holiday today and after calling the... (10886 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (10988 views)

Myasthenia gravis I am grieving the loss of my beloved companion who was euthanized on May 18, 2011.... (17627 views)

Are raisins toxic to cats? Hello, On Monday of this week (today is Wednesday) my cat came up to me while I... (19328 views)

Hamster cough. Do hamsters have to have a special treatment when they have got a... (7961 views)

Cat pooping on floor. My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and... (8886 views)

Stop dogs from fighting. I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this?... (3574 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (23530 views)

Lots of problems. Dear Dr Marie, Here's the link to our ongoing... (8106 views)