How often is heat cycle?

Breed: Labrador
Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how often labs go 'on heat', how do you tell, & at what age it stops. I would like her to have a litter before she's to old.
Thanks fpr your time
Naomi :)

A dog will generally go into heat every 6 months. It can vary though as some dogs will be every 4 months or every 8 months.

Usually the first heat will start any time after 6 months of age. They can continue to have heats throughout their whole lives but often do stop as they get older. There's no specific age though.

I would highly advise against letting her have a litter. There are a few reasons for this:

1. If we can spay her before her first heat then she has a greatly reduced risk of getting mammary cancer later on in life. (I see though that you say she is between 5-8 years...I didn't know if you meant months.)

2. There are a lot of things that can go wrong with breeding. If she needs a C-Section you're looking at a 2-3000 bill and there is no guarantee of puppies surviving.

3. I recommend leaving breeding to the professionals, especially in a lab. If you do plan to breed her, ideally you should be screening her for hip dysplasia and elbow dysplasia amongst other things.

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (10402 views)

PPA safety for dogs. Hi, Dr. Marie: I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding... (16193 views)

Seizures or syncopal episodes? For some history, Bella is a 12 year old pug who is as healthy as you can expect a... (8459 views)

Cat pooping on floor. My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and... (12842 views)

Dog shedding like crazy. my dog is shedding like crazy year round what should i do? ... (12771 views)

Older dog liver problems. We gave a 13 year old Maltese. He has had liver shunts and since he was 3 months we... (13748 views)

Is this rabies? My dog is going crazy. He's been shaking and walking somewhere and walking back for... (8726 views)

Bulldog losing hair. hello, I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was... (21592 views)

Grade 2 mast cell tumor. Hi, I want to adopt a 9yr old female Golden Retrever from this breeder. The breeder... (16198 views)

Metacam for cancer pain. I have a 13 year old Birman female cat, never really been sick in her life. We... (19311 views)