How often is heat cycle?

Breed: Labrador
Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how often labs go 'on heat', how do you tell, & at what age it stops. I would like her to have a litter before she's to old.
Thanks fpr your time
Naomi :)

A dog will generally go into heat every 6 months. It can vary though as some dogs will be every 4 months or every 8 months.

Usually the first heat will start any time after 6 months of age. They can continue to have heats throughout their whole lives but often do stop as they get older. There's no specific age though.

I would highly advise against letting her have a litter. There are a few reasons for this:

1. If we can spay her before her first heat then she has a greatly reduced risk of getting mammary cancer later on in life. (I see though that you say she is between 5-8 years...I didn't know if you meant months.)

2. There are a lot of things that can go wrong with breeding. If she needs a C-Section you're looking at a 2-3000 bill and there is no guarantee of puppies surviving.

3. I recommend leaving breeding to the professionals, especially in a lab. If you do plan to breed her, ideally you should be screening her for hip dysplasia and elbow dysplasia amongst other things.

Can a spayed cat get pregnant? OK its OK if you don't answer but be for you look away please im 12 and my cat is... (25371 views)

Blood in urine My male cat has red staining to his urine, he isn't acting any different but is... (7780 views)

Hair loss around eyes. Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the... (17703 views)

Coughing and panting. My dog is 12 1/2 and he has a hacking cough and pants all the time except when he's... (36908 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (12831 views)

Diarrhea with mucus. Dr, Are you familiar with those bullwinkle sticks. They are about 13" long, bull... (26647 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (13161 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (19597 views)

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (16898 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (12759 views)