How often is heat cycle?

Breed: Labrador
Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how often labs go 'on heat', how do you tell, & at what age it stops. I would like her to have a litter before she's to old.
Thanks fpr your time
Naomi :)

A dog will generally go into heat every 6 months. It can vary though as some dogs will be every 4 months or every 8 months.

Usually the first heat will start any time after 6 months of age. They can continue to have heats throughout their whole lives but often do stop as they get older. There's no specific age though.

I would highly advise against letting her have a litter. There are a few reasons for this:

1. If we can spay her before her first heat then she has a greatly reduced risk of getting mammary cancer later on in life. (I see though that you say she is between 5-8 years...I didn't know if you meant months.)

2. There are a lot of things that can go wrong with breeding. If she needs a C-Section you're looking at a 2-3000 bill and there is no guarantee of puppies surviving.

3. I recommend leaving breeding to the professionals, especially in a lab. If you do plan to breed her, ideally you should be screening her for hip dysplasia and elbow dysplasia amongst other things.

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (11651 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (10568 views)

Peptobismol use in cats I gave pepto bismol to my cat will it be... (20985 views)

Painful erection for dog. Help Dr Marie, My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him... (16706 views)

Dark spot on eye. scooby recently has a darker spot on his pupil, other than that his health is... (26726 views)

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (38037 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (15975 views)

Not eating and very weak. Our dog has been quite sick for a bit over a week now. We live on a small island in... (56252 views)

Brown bugs over top of tail. Dear Dr. Marie: I HAVE A CAT, IT HAS BROWN BUG AND SCAB AT THE DORSAL ASPECT OF... (10141 views)

Cat has lump on neck. hi dr marie my cat abby has been bitten or posioned on her neck first it was a big... (13046 views)