How often is heat cycle?

Breed: Labrador
Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how often labs go 'on heat', how do you tell, & at what age it stops. I would like her to have a litter before she's to old.
Thanks fpr your time
Naomi :)

A dog will generally go into heat every 6 months. It can vary though as some dogs will be every 4 months or every 8 months.

Usually the first heat will start any time after 6 months of age. They can continue to have heats throughout their whole lives but often do stop as they get older. There's no specific age though.

I would highly advise against letting her have a litter. There are a few reasons for this:

1. If we can spay her before her first heat then she has a greatly reduced risk of getting mammary cancer later on in life. (I see though that you say she is between 5-8 years...I didn't know if you meant months.)

2. There are a lot of things that can go wrong with breeding. If she needs a C-Section you're looking at a 2-3000 bill and there is no guarantee of puppies surviving.

3. I recommend leaving breeding to the professionals, especially in a lab. If you do plan to breed her, ideally you should be screening her for hip dysplasia and elbow dysplasia amongst other things.

Seizures wouldn't stop. My dog suddenly had status epilepticus without having prior history of seizures. He... (27311 views)

Puppy with vomiting and diarrhea. i have a 1 month old puppy and she is vomiting, not eating,pooping brown water and... (19185 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i think my dog is pregnet she has big nipples and she is getting lazy she was in... (4647 views)

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (7784 views)

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (29354 views)

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (13566 views)

Pug died suddenly. Aloha, Our beloved Pug Tobi passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday and as much as I... (7432 views)

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (8379 views)

Vomiting every time she eats. My cat is throwing up every time she eats, what is the... (17089 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (14653 views)