Puffy cat ear.

Breed: Not sure, just a bla
Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's not inside his ear and there is no sign of a scratch of any kind,yet his ear has a definate puffy bump on it. it seems to be under the fur. It doesn't seem to cause him any pain and he's an indoor cat so I was wondering what could have caused the bump and if it's something that I should be concerned about?

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see Dexter.

There are a few things that can cause a puffy bump on a cat's ear.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is an aural hematoma.

An aural hematoma looks like this:

Aural Hematoma in a cat

In the picture above, the top of the ear has been shaved. This is an extreme example of an aural hematoma. Some cats can have just a small amount of swelling.

We used to always treat these with surgery, but I am having good success lately treating them with prednisone tablets. If we do nothing they will eventually heal but the ear will be all scarred and ugly looking.

There are other things that can cause a bump on the ear. If you would like to post a picture, just reply and I can tell you where to send the picture to.

Skinny 19 year old cat. Hi my cat is 19 years old! He is a little skinny but perfectly healthy! I also have... (12128 views)

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (60881 views)

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (8763 views)

How does a vet put a dog to sleep? i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in... (17784 views)

Parvo? My English Mastiff started vomiting on Friday. By Saturday he had extremely watery... (16166 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (15181 views)

Dog limping. My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk... (11048 views)

Panadol (tylenol) for cat? my cat(3 years) has been drooling non-stop for the past 3 days and wont eat or drink... (6729 views)

Puppy with diarrhea My 14 week old Aussie, Max, had a pretty sudden case of diarrhea, today. I took him... (20851 views)

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (8216 views)