Puffy cat ear.

Breed: Not sure, just a bla
Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's not inside his ear and there is no sign of a scratch of any kind,yet his ear has a definate puffy bump on it. it seems to be under the fur. It doesn't seem to cause him any pain and he's an indoor cat so I was wondering what could have caused the bump and if it's something that I should be concerned about?

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see Dexter.

There are a few things that can cause a puffy bump on a cat's ear.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is an aural hematoma.

An aural hematoma looks like this:

Aural Hematoma in a cat

In the picture above, the top of the ear has been shaved. This is an extreme example of an aural hematoma. Some cats can have just a small amount of swelling.

We used to always treat these with surgery, but I am having good success lately treating them with prednisone tablets. If we do nothing they will eventually heal but the ear will be all scarred and ugly looking.

There are other things that can cause a bump on the ear. If you would like to post a picture, just reply and I can tell you where to send the picture to.

Diaphragmatic hernia. Our 8-year-old neutered male cat has a history of various health issues:... (6344 views)

Benadryl for dogs How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a... (11533 views)

Vomiting after allergy injection My sister took my dog to the vet yesterday where she recieved a shot to stop itching... (14674 views)

Getting a second guinea pig. So I have a male guinea pig and one of my friends can't keep hers so she is gonna... (7763 views)

Possible cruciate tear. I am currently fostering an overweight husky/lab cross (Working on the weight... (6882 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (8327 views)

Swelling on dog's face. Hi the right side of my 6 year old boxer boy's face has swelled up - looks like he... (53286 views)

Purple feces. Why is my dog's poop... (13692 views)

Dog shedding like crazy. my dog is shedding like crazy year round what should i do? ... (10410 views)

Cat is not eating. Our 6 year old male cat has not been eating or Drinking. He has not been using the... (16947 views)