Puffy cat ear.

Breed: Not sure, just a bla
Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's not inside his ear and there is no sign of a scratch of any kind,yet his ear has a definate puffy bump on it. it seems to be under the fur. It doesn't seem to cause him any pain and he's an indoor cat so I was wondering what could have caused the bump and if it's something that I should be concerned about?

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see Dexter.

There are a few things that can cause a puffy bump on a cat's ear.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is an aural hematoma.

An aural hematoma looks like this:

Aural Hematoma in a cat

In the picture above, the top of the ear has been shaved. This is an extreme example of an aural hematoma. Some cats can have just a small amount of swelling.

We used to always treat these with surgery, but I am having good success lately treating them with prednisone tablets. If we do nothing they will eventually heal but the ear will be all scarred and ugly looking.

There are other things that can cause a bump on the ear. If you would like to post a picture, just reply and I can tell you where to send the picture to.

Problems with Rimadyl? she seems to have paralysis of her front left paw. she can not stand on her own and... (22339 views)

Chin acne in cats. He's been on a cleansing agent and anti-biotic/steroid for 5 of 7 days for his acne... (7097 views)

Cat can't gain weight. My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I... (16285 views)

Infected cut on leg. My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small... (6261 views)

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (20466 views)

Vomiting and trouble with urination and stool. My 5 year old goldendoodle vomited (not food regurgitation) this morning, is trying... (22555 views)

Rottweiler urinating frequently. my dog has getting let out all the time and and and recently she has been weeing... (8123 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (9167 views)

Training blind dog. My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and... (9793 views)

Tail fell off. My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues... (10225 views)