Puffy cat ear.

Breed: Not sure, just a bla
Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's not inside his ear and there is no sign of a scratch of any kind,yet his ear has a definate puffy bump on it. it seems to be under the fur. It doesn't seem to cause him any pain and he's an indoor cat so I was wondering what could have caused the bump and if it's something that I should be concerned about?

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see Dexter.

There are a few things that can cause a puffy bump on a cat's ear.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is an aural hematoma.

An aural hematoma looks like this:

Aural Hematoma in a cat

In the picture above, the top of the ear has been shaved. This is an extreme example of an aural hematoma. Some cats can have just a small amount of swelling.

We used to always treat these with surgery, but I am having good success lately treating them with prednisone tablets. If we do nothing they will eventually heal but the ear will be all scarred and ugly looking.

There are other things that can cause a bump on the ear. If you would like to post a picture, just reply and I can tell you where to send the picture to.

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (12027 views)

Milk for cat? Is milk good for a one month old... (7527 views)

Very sick kitten. Thursday 4/21 daughter rescued kitten from tomcat in my mom's backyard. Kitten... (21327 views)

Puppy doesn't want to eat. It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches... (10422 views)

Deformed leg on puppy. I have a Pomeranian Maltese that gave birth early yesterday morning. When going to... (11813 views)

How to get cat to eat. I have a cat that developed anorexia. She lost so much weight that she developed... (5859 views)

Dog biting bas of tail, but no fleas. Hi, I have an otherwise healthy chihuahua who has always been a foot chewer but has... (241909 views)

Cataracts, thirst and lethargy. Hi Dr Marie, I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed... (8581 views)

Pooping in house. I got my dog Clyde on June 25, 2012. He is a 4 year-old Lhasa. His previous owners... (11297 views)

Do dogs get gonorrhea? Hi Dr. Marie, I just got diagnosed with gonorrhea, which is devastating to me. I... (39751 views)