Puffy cat ear.

Breed: Not sure, just a bla
Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's not inside his ear and there is no sign of a scratch of any kind,yet his ear has a definate puffy bump on it. it seems to be under the fur. It doesn't seem to cause him any pain and he's an indoor cat so I was wondering what could have caused the bump and if it's something that I should be concerned about?

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see Dexter.

There are a few things that can cause a puffy bump on a cat's ear.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is an aural hematoma.

An aural hematoma looks like this:

Aural Hematoma in a cat

In the picture above, the top of the ear has been shaved. This is an extreme example of an aural hematoma. Some cats can have just a small amount of swelling.

We used to always treat these with surgery, but I am having good success lately treating them with prednisone tablets. If we do nothing they will eventually heal but the ear will be all scarred and ugly looking.

There are other things that can cause a bump on the ear. If you would like to post a picture, just reply and I can tell you where to send the picture to.

Handling newborn kittens. Hello, My cat has recently had kittens. I think they are a day old. She had... (9784 views)

Pregnancy symptoms in dogs. Hi Dr Marie My 2.5 yr old OES was bred last week with 1 AI and 5 natural ties. This... (15004 views)

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (15799 views)

Broken leg - not eating. Last night my 7 week old puppy broke her leg , we took her to the emergency pet... (6951 views)

Lab swallowed a shotgun shell. my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i... (10148 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (11478 views)

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (10962 views)

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (18424 views)

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (39007 views)

Peeing orange and losing weight. I have a village dog, I think he is dying, I don't know what to do. I always feed... (17713 views)