Puffy cat ear.

Breed: Not sure, just a bla
Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's not inside his ear and there is no sign of a scratch of any kind,yet his ear has a definate puffy bump on it. it seems to be under the fur. It doesn't seem to cause him any pain and he's an indoor cat so I was wondering what could have caused the bump and if it's something that I should be concerned about?

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see Dexter.

There are a few things that can cause a puffy bump on a cat's ear.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is an aural hematoma.

An aural hematoma looks like this:

Aural Hematoma in a cat

In the picture above, the top of the ear has been shaved. This is an extreme example of an aural hematoma. Some cats can have just a small amount of swelling.

We used to always treat these with surgery, but I am having good success lately treating them with prednisone tablets. If we do nothing they will eventually heal but the ear will be all scarred and ugly looking.

There are other things that can cause a bump on the ear. If you would like to post a picture, just reply and I can tell you where to send the picture to.

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (19612 views)

Itchy lump on eyelid. I have a 2 year old Shepherd mix, and he has developed a pink mole/growth on his... (6956 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (24555 views)

Dog gagging and coughing. My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does... (239060 views)

Can I get toxoplasmosis from my dog? I've caught my dog eating stray cat feces in my yard several times. I would then... (36660 views)

Parvo and hookworms. Last Monday, I got this puppy, a miniature doxen. Well, the first few days he was a... (22822 views)

Dog pooping and peeing in house. why does my dog poo or pee when i leeve her out in the house at night ??? when i... (8610 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (18624 views)

Bitten by copperhead snake. My mom's 14 week old puppy got bit by a snake. Didn't see the snake. What should... (9445 views)

Good chew toys for dogs. Hi Dr, I have a 9 month old dog who is part Golden and part Canadian beaver. He... (14354 views)