Cut my dog while grooming.

Breed: small mixed phalene
My mother was trimming Levi's fringe, and accidentally cut skin instead. Needless to say, the wound does not have any rough edges. The wound is on one of his hind legs in between hip joint near his groin and where a human's knee would be -- his upper thigh.

The wound does not appear to be infected. It doesn't have red edges, nor is it inflamed nor warm. There is no discoloration or anything at all that resembles puss or oozing. My parents ran a cotton swab over it just to see if there was any clear slime or ooze, and the swab came back with nothing.

That being said, the wound doesn't seem to be forming a scab. We thinks this might be because Levi is licking it when he is left alone.

Should we get an Elizabethan collar to stop him from licking?
Or, is his licking helping him heal and we just don't realize it?
Should the wound be covered or left open to the air?

Thanks for your assistance!

Aw, the poor guy!

First of all, don't feel too bad. This type of thing happens really often. I once worked with a very experienced veterinary technician who was grooming a cat and she thought she was cutting out a matt but she actually cut a massive amount of skin off of the cat and the cat needed stitches!

Your question is a tough one for me to answer without seeing the wound. Ultimately it would be best to have a vet take a look at it to see if it either needs some stitches or possibly some antibiotics. However, a good number of these wounds will heal up on their own. They will often take several weeks to heal over completely.

If Levi is licking at this occasionally (i.e. 4-5 times per day) then I am not too worried about it. But if he is obsessing over it then, yes, an E-Collar would be a good idea. On the other hand, if he is licking obsessively then it may be a sign that it is infected (even if you don't see pus), and therefore he'd need antibiotics.

If you do need an E-collar, you may want to look into something called the Bite-Not Collar. These things are awesome because the dog doesn't need to wear a cone. You can see these here: Bite Not Collar. Another decent type of E-Collar is a soft collar called Trimline.

When I have an animal with an open wound, one thing I will often recommend in order to speed up the healing is something called hydrotherapy. This is where you take a removable showerhead and use a soft stream of lukewarm water over the wound for about 10 minutes, 3 times a day.

I don't usually recommend any creams or lotions at all, and covering it usually is not a good idea.

I hope he heals soon!

Why did my dog die? Hi, My dog died recently. She was 11 yr.s 9 mo.s old, about 55-60 lbs.,... (154174 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (19699 views)

Pit Bull won't eat. My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray... (13144 views)

Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis. Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on... (6114 views)

Swollen ankle in my dog. My Labrador has the right back leg ankle joint bigger than his left one. 15 days ago... (9195 views)

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (4998 views)

67 days pregnant. Dog is 67 days pregnant no sign of labor how much longer should i wait before taking... (10958 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (12099 views)

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (12501 views)

Tubes in dogs ears? our bulldog has bad problems with his ears they are almost swollen shut. our vet... (18015 views)