Interstitial cystitis.

Breed: Tabby
My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet, constantly in the little tray and blood is present in her urine. We took her to the vet a couple times 2 years ago. All she had was antibiotics and a injection. Even thought that helped her, it didn't stop the Cystitis reoccurring. She has had it ever since, with it popping up for a couple of days at a time every 2-3 weeks. Not only is it painful my Cat but it is also a nuisance as she pees everywhere and doesn't eat anything. When she was kitten she was on a dry food diet. But changed about a year later to 100% wet food diet when the vet told us to. Is there a underlying cause to this? Is there anything I can d o?

Interstitial cystitis is usually a chronic condition that comes and goes. I will sometimes prescribe an anti-inflammatory drug for my clients to use during a cystitis flare up.

Some cats do well on a medication called amitriptylline as well.

Additionally, once things are under control a lot of cats do better if they are on a food called Royal Canin s/o which helps to control the pH level of the urine and also to get more urine travelling through the bladder.

If she hasn't been to the vet recently then you'll need to see them again just to be sure there isn't something else going on such as an infection or crystals. Once they confirm that this is interstitial cystitis then they can talk about chronic treatment options for you.

Light sensitivity in older cat. Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills... (10111 views)

Cat suddenly bites or scratches. Hi there....i have a beautiful BIG moggy who is a 'lovecat' - very affectionate -... (15238 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (68694 views)

Needs anal glands done again. I just took Chloe to the vet last weekend because she was skooting and her vet... (7731 views)

Diarrhea with mucus. Dr, Are you familiar with those bullwinkle sticks. They are about 13" long, bull... (19945 views)

Bald spot on hamster. My dwarf hamster has a rather large bald spot above her left front leg. I noticed... (25687 views)

Tapeworms in kittens. Hey there, I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The... (11121 views)

Questions about anesthesia Hi my name is Jazmin. I'm currently in college now in vet tech school. i have a... (6670 views)

Problems with Rimadyl? she seems to have paralysis of her front left paw. she can not stand on her own and... (22000 views)

Bleach for parvo? My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little... (18791 views)