Interstitial cystitis.

Breed: Tabby
My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet, constantly in the little tray and blood is present in her urine. We took her to the vet a couple times 2 years ago. All she had was antibiotics and a injection. Even thought that helped her, it didn't stop the Cystitis reoccurring. She has had it ever since, with it popping up for a couple of days at a time every 2-3 weeks. Not only is it painful my Cat but it is also a nuisance as she pees everywhere and doesn't eat anything. When she was kitten she was on a dry food diet. But changed about a year later to 100% wet food diet when the vet told us to. Is there a underlying cause to this? Is there anything I can d o?

Interstitial cystitis is usually a chronic condition that comes and goes. I will sometimes prescribe an anti-inflammatory drug for my clients to use during a cystitis flare up.

Some cats do well on a medication called amitriptylline as well.

Additionally, once things are under control a lot of cats do better if they are on a food called Royal Canin s/o which helps to control the pH level of the urine and also to get more urine travelling through the bladder.

If she hasn't been to the vet recently then you'll need to see them again just to be sure there isn't something else going on such as an infection or crystals. Once they confirm that this is interstitial cystitis then they can talk about chronic treatment options for you.

Urinating outside of box. Hi Marie, We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning,... (11800 views)

Wound on ear won't heal. My puppy accidentally scratched her inner ear, the wound scabbed over but now she... (19846 views)

Hair loss around eyes. Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the... (17562 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (19259 views)

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (29561 views)

Cancer in lung? Hello You answered already a questions with respect to my dog Mara (x rays: lots of... (32668 views)

Cat can't pee. Cat can't pee. Licking himself and yowling when tries to... (14767 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (11489 views)

Is celery safe for rabbits? is it okey to feed my rabbits celery? i did research on what veggies to feed my... (12295 views)

Cushing's and panting. I saw where you advised a person on dog breathing problems, that is could be... (46768 views)