Interstitial cystitis.

Breed: Tabby
My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet, constantly in the little tray and blood is present in her urine. We took her to the vet a couple times 2 years ago. All she had was antibiotics and a injection. Even thought that helped her, it didn't stop the Cystitis reoccurring. She has had it ever since, with it popping up for a couple of days at a time every 2-3 weeks. Not only is it painful my Cat but it is also a nuisance as she pees everywhere and doesn't eat anything. When she was kitten she was on a dry food diet. But changed about a year later to 100% wet food diet when the vet told us to. Is there a underlying cause to this? Is there anything I can d o?

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Interstitial cystitis is usually a chronic condition that comes and goes. I will sometimes prescribe an anti-inflammatory drug for my clients to use during a cystitis flare up.

Some cats do well on a medication called amitriptylline as well.

Additionally, once things are under control a lot of cats do better if they are on a food called Royal Canin s/o which helps to control the pH level of the urine and also to get more urine travelling through the bladder.

If she hasn't been to the vet recently then you'll need to see them again just to be sure there isn't something else going on such as an infection or crystals. Once they confirm that this is interstitial cystitis then they can talk about chronic treatment options for you.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Chronic cat diarrhea. I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January.... (2869 views)

Incontinence she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she... (5908 views)

Upper respiratory infection. HI Dr. Marie, Ten days ago a neighborhood cat started hanging around my house. I... (6498 views)

Cat with bump on skin. My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin... (7450 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (14377 views)

Small pink lump on back. My dog has had a small light pink lump on his back for a little while now. I have... (8599 views)

Overdose of Xanax. Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my... (43497 views)

calamine lotion on dogs Doeden has a itchy rash, raised pale bumps, on the back of his neck; I put on some... (69171 views)

ACTH Stim my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in... (5975 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (2408 views)