Interstitial cystitis.

Breed: Tabby
My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet, constantly in the little tray and blood is present in her urine. We took her to the vet a couple times 2 years ago. All she had was antibiotics and a injection. Even thought that helped her, it didn't stop the Cystitis reoccurring. She has had it ever since, with it popping up for a couple of days at a time every 2-3 weeks. Not only is it painful my Cat but it is also a nuisance as she pees everywhere and doesn't eat anything. When she was kitten she was on a dry food diet. But changed about a year later to 100% wet food diet when the vet told us to. Is there a underlying cause to this? Is there anything I can d o?

Interstitial cystitis is usually a chronic condition that comes and goes. I will sometimes prescribe an anti-inflammatory drug for my clients to use during a cystitis flare up.

Some cats do well on a medication called amitriptylline as well.

Additionally, once things are under control a lot of cats do better if they are on a food called Royal Canin s/o which helps to control the pH level of the urine and also to get more urine travelling through the bladder.

If she hasn't been to the vet recently then you'll need to see them again just to be sure there isn't something else going on such as an infection or crystals. Once they confirm that this is interstitial cystitis then they can talk about chronic treatment options for you.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Ear problems. Charlie has possibly caught ear mites. He his continuously scratching for minutes... (4438 views)

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (5257 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (3954 views)

Pomeranian in pain. I have a 4 year old pom. All of a sudden, 3 weeks ago he started having abdominal... (7012 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (1727 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (3244 views)

Why is my hamster biting me? My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on... (5990 views)

Dog licking everything My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can... (7380 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (8057 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (1977 views)