Interstitial cystitis.

Breed: Tabby
My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet, constantly in the little tray and blood is present in her urine. We took her to the vet a couple times 2 years ago. All she had was antibiotics and a injection. Even thought that helped her, it didn't stop the Cystitis reoccurring. She has had it ever since, with it popping up for a couple of days at a time every 2-3 weeks. Not only is it painful my Cat but it is also a nuisance as she pees everywhere and doesn't eat anything. When she was kitten she was on a dry food diet. But changed about a year later to 100% wet food diet when the vet told us to. Is there a underlying cause to this? Is there anything I can d o?

Interstitial cystitis is usually a chronic condition that comes and goes. I will sometimes prescribe an anti-inflammatory drug for my clients to use during a cystitis flare up.

Some cats do well on a medication called amitriptylline as well.

Additionally, once things are under control a lot of cats do better if they are on a food called Royal Canin s/o which helps to control the pH level of the urine and also to get more urine travelling through the bladder.

If she hasn't been to the vet recently then you'll need to see them again just to be sure there isn't something else going on such as an infection or crystals. Once they confirm that this is interstitial cystitis then they can talk about chronic treatment options for you.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

3 week old kitten with diarrhea. i have a kitten that is 3 weeks old and she has diarrhea and also i wanted to know... (7137 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (7288 views)

Ear cropping for boxers? should a boxers ear be cut off or let them grow? and my pets name is not any of your... (4760 views)

Can I get toxoplasmosis from my dog? I've caught my dog eating stray cat feces in my yard several times. I would then... (16019 views)

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (55180 views)

Paying for megacolon surgery. hello my cat has mega-colon my question is do you know of any place that might be... (4810 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (4136 views)

Clear discharge from dog's nose. Hello, My 3 year old Golden Retriever has been blowing her nose--exactly how... (10310 views)

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (1433 views)

Heart murmur in puppy. Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's... (2716 views)