Cat with bump on skin.

Breed: American shorthair
My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin and is about the size of a pencil eraser. It does not look red or irritated and does not seem bothersome to him, even when touched. What could it be, and should I be concerned?

Hi and thanks for your question.

It's always hard to talk about lumps online but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

When a cat has a lump I always want to have it checked out. There are a number of skin tumors in cats that can be quite serious and are much easier to treat sooner rather than later.

With that being said, a lot of the time these lumps turn out to be fluid filled cysts that are not bothersome but simply cosmetic.

I have seen some cats that have what was thought to be a wart but turned out to be a tick so this is a possibility as well.

In any case I would advise having your vet take a look at it. They will do a test where they put a small needle into it to draw some cells or fluid out and they should be able to tell you whether it needs to be removed.

Bitch searching for dead puppies. my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead... (27812 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (9431 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (21291 views)

Coughing cat. One of my cats has been hacking a lot the past few days. I have a video I would like... (6461 views)

Is my Golden hypothryoid? We have tried every diet under the sun to get the last few kilo's off our doggie.... (8800 views)

Dog licking other dog's ear. My roommate's pit/lab mix Champ is moderately obsessed with licking/chewing on my... (57673 views)

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (5503 views)

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (8952 views)

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (10418 views)

Itchy cat. My cat is male, age 5 and generally very healthy. A while ago I noticed him biting... (8102 views)