Cat with bump on skin.

Breed: American shorthair
My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin and is about the size of a pencil eraser. It does not look red or irritated and does not seem bothersome to him, even when touched. What could it be, and should I be concerned?

Hi and thanks for your question.

It's always hard to talk about lumps online but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

When a cat has a lump I always want to have it checked out. There are a number of skin tumors in cats that can be quite serious and are much easier to treat sooner rather than later.

With that being said, a lot of the time these lumps turn out to be fluid filled cysts that are not bothersome but simply cosmetic.

I have seen some cats that have what was thought to be a wart but turned out to be a tick so this is a possibility as well.

In any case I would advise having your vet take a look at it. They will do a test where they put a small needle into it to draw some cells or fluid out and they should be able to tell you whether it needs to be removed.

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (11159 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (8578 views)

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (12251 views)

Sending dog to UK. My cats were given Killed Virus 3 year vaccine (Fort Dodge Rabvac 3TF) at 4 months... (6265 views)

Trouble breathing My 12 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and a "5"... (10743 views)

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (18208 views)

How to remove stitches Hi Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life. Ok we... (23484 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (6418 views)

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (23726 views)

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (6936 views)