Cat with bump on skin.

Breed: American shorthair
My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin and is about the size of a pencil eraser. It does not look red or irritated and does not seem bothersome to him, even when touched. What could it be, and should I be concerned?

Hi and thanks for your question.

It's always hard to talk about lumps online but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

When a cat has a lump I always want to have it checked out. There are a number of skin tumors in cats that can be quite serious and are much easier to treat sooner rather than later.

With that being said, a lot of the time these lumps turn out to be fluid filled cysts that are not bothersome but simply cosmetic.

I have seen some cats that have what was thought to be a wart but turned out to be a tick so this is a possibility as well.

In any case I would advise having your vet take a look at it. They will do a test where they put a small needle into it to draw some cells or fluid out and they should be able to tell you whether it needs to be removed.

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (6634 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (11303 views)

Brown spot on lip of dog. Greetings, I have noticed that my cat has problem with her mouth. On the lower... (10514 views)

Toxoplasmosis questions. 1) My cat is an outdoor cat. I know he is at risk for getting the parasite that... (12088 views)

Advil for arthritis? Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have... (16371 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (9535 views)

Dog ate chicken bones. PLese help me! My 8 year old American Golden just ate cooked chicken bones! What... (137804 views)

Pregnant cat is vomiting. My cat got out and didn't come home for about a month. When she got out she was in... (18188 views)

Vaginal Discharge. Dr. Marie, I rescued a female unspayed german shepherd from a neighbor's yard a few... (14434 views)

Symptoms of Lupus Help! owners have spent $1100 on test and everything comes back normal but Archie is... (9993 views)