Cat with bump on skin.

Breed: American shorthair
My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin and is about the size of a pencil eraser. It does not look red or irritated and does not seem bothersome to him, even when touched. What could it be, and should I be concerned?

Hi and thanks for your question.

It's always hard to talk about lumps online but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

When a cat has a lump I always want to have it checked out. There are a number of skin tumors in cats that can be quite serious and are much easier to treat sooner rather than later.

With that being said, a lot of the time these lumps turn out to be fluid filled cysts that are not bothersome but simply cosmetic.

I have seen some cats that have what was thought to be a wart but turned out to be a tick so this is a possibility as well.

In any case I would advise having your vet take a look at it. They will do a test where they put a small needle into it to draw some cells or fluid out and they should be able to tell you whether it needs to be removed.

Does my dog have a gait problem? Hi Dr. I'm hoping this is a trivial question. As the email pic shows, the... (17725 views)

Does Pet Calm Work? Dr. Marie My Bobbie has serious trembling normally during the evning and night.... (13431 views)

Cat is sneezing a lot. I have a two year old cat. I adopted her from a shelter last December. When I... (30224 views)

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (10546 views)

Is my cat pregnant? we just opened our home to a female stray cat. i estimated her to be a year old or... (9561 views)

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (16297 views)

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (14938 views)

Repeated bouts of Giardia. Our 4 month old Boston terrier Gidget was diagnosed with giardia over 6 weeks ago.... (6710 views)

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (21020 views)

Itchy dog. This is a follow on of a question past #2740. Choo Choo's itch has continued all... (6898 views)