Cat with bump on skin.

Breed: American shorthair
My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin and is about the size of a pencil eraser. It does not look red or irritated and does not seem bothersome to him, even when touched. What could it be, and should I be concerned?

Hi and thanks for your question.

It's always hard to talk about lumps online but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

When a cat has a lump I always want to have it checked out. There are a number of skin tumors in cats that can be quite serious and are much easier to treat sooner rather than later.

With that being said, a lot of the time these lumps turn out to be fluid filled cysts that are not bothersome but simply cosmetic.

I have seen some cats that have what was thought to be a wart but turned out to be a tick so this is a possibility as well.

In any case I would advise having your vet take a look at it. They will do a test where they put a small needle into it to draw some cells or fluid out and they should be able to tell you whether it needs to be removed.

Snorting dog My dog has been sneezing and once ina while making a coughing sound...like snoring. ... (26282 views)

Bald itchy spots on a dog. Hi, I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different... (15797 views)

Is this a tick? So Badger has a strange growth on the edge of his ear...I will include two pictures... (27404 views)

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (4986 views)

Dog died after surgery. On Saturday evening my daughters 6 month old dog swallowed a needle which got her... (12907 views)

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (15528 views)

Guinea pig lifespan. Hi! Just wanna know, whats the life span of a guinea... (7939 views)

Vomiting undigested food. My cat primarily eats dry food. She frequently vomits undigested food.What can I do... (12237 views)

Cat not getting over URTI. Hi, My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems... (6723 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (5230 views)