Cat with bump on skin.

Breed: American shorthair
My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin and is about the size of a pencil eraser. It does not look red or irritated and does not seem bothersome to him, even when touched. What could it be, and should I be concerned?

Hi and thanks for your question.

It's always hard to talk about lumps online but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

When a cat has a lump I always want to have it checked out. There are a number of skin tumors in cats that can be quite serious and are much easier to treat sooner rather than later.

With that being said, a lot of the time these lumps turn out to be fluid filled cysts that are not bothersome but simply cosmetic.

I have seen some cats that have what was thought to be a wart but turned out to be a tick so this is a possibility as well.

In any case I would advise having your vet take a look at it. They will do a test where they put a small needle into it to draw some cells or fluid out and they should be able to tell you whether it needs to be removed.

Pancreatic enzymes. How do we handle a situation when we unexpectely temporaryly are without the... (9388 views)

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (17437 views)

Red spots under arms and legs. my dog has red spots under her arms and now on her legs what could it be... (14628 views)

Died after grooming. Hi, my puppy recently died and was wondering if you could help me, she had a trip to... (9452 views)

Limping kitten. I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first... (12989 views)

Small Russian Blue Cat. I have a Russian Blue who has recently turned 4 years old (we have had him since 6... (10609 views)

Fleas on a newborn kitten. My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on... (8558 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog, Ace, passed away on Thursday, July 5th. We live in the midwest and had been... (13159 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (10858 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (7894 views)