Cat can't gain weight.

Breed: Tabby
My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I help her gain weight that she lost due to her kittens which are with other people now?

Sorry to hear that your cat is having issues with not being able to gain weight.

Any time I see a cat not be able to gain weight I get worried about medical problems. In a young cat like this there is a possibility that she has a serious virus such as feline leukemia virus, FIV or FIP.

If her appetite is down it is possible that she has a problem with her kidneys, or even an infection in her uterus both of which are very serious.

While parasites can cause some mild health issues they usually don't cause significant weight loss.

If she is really pale another possibility is blood loss possibly due to a parasite called hemobartonella (or mycoplasma felis). This needs to be treated with a particular antibiotic prescribed by the vet.

It is possible for a cat to lose weight because of the stress of nursing, but this weight should come back quite rapidly once the kittens are gone. You can try feeding her kitten food which is higher in calories than adult food. But, if she is not gaining weight then she will need to see the vet to figure out what is wrong.

I hope all is well!

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (6497 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (20568 views)

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (5552 views)

Albendazole for puppy? Long story short my little over 3 month old puppy has Giardia. Sidenote: she goes... (10296 views)

Swollen nose. My 9 yo Female Samoyed has a swollen nose - the black part of the nose, on the top.... (8501 views)

Very sick dog. Last night I noticed my dog had diarrhea and bad gas, but I thought she was just a... (16937 views)

Cat has lump on neck. hi dr marie my cat abby has been bitten or posioned on her neck first it was a big... (14623 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (25973 views)

Bloated abdomen in hamster. Hi....our pet hamster buddy is extremely bloated. We have had him for a year and a... (86816 views)

Possible laryngeal Parlysis Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or... (9155 views)