Cat can't gain weight.

Breed: Tabby
My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I help her gain weight that she lost due to her kittens which are with other people now?

Sorry to hear that your cat is having issues with not being able to gain weight.

Any time I see a cat not be able to gain weight I get worried about medical problems. In a young cat like this there is a possibility that she has a serious virus such as feline leukemia virus, FIV or FIP.

If her appetite is down it is possible that she has a problem with her kidneys, or even an infection in her uterus both of which are very serious.

While parasites can cause some mild health issues they usually don't cause significant weight loss.

If she is really pale another possibility is blood loss possibly due to a parasite called hemobartonella (or mycoplasma felis). This needs to be treated with a particular antibiotic prescribed by the vet.

It is possible for a cat to lose weight because of the stress of nursing, but this weight should come back quite rapidly once the kittens are gone. You can try feeding her kitten food which is higher in calories than adult food. But, if she is not gaining weight then she will need to see the vet to figure out what is wrong.

I hope all is well!

Can cats transmit viruses to people hello.. i wanted to ask that my kitten is not vaccinated and she bites and scratches... (6960 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (16108 views)

Small Russian Blue Cat. I have a Russian Blue who has recently turned 4 years old (we have had him since 6... (10045 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (11834 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (10564 views)

Lumps on hamster. Hi , my hamster is all covered with lumps , some of them are bleeding,and new ones... (10308 views)

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (7808 views)

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (35398 views)

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (17152 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (10013 views)