Cat can't gain weight.

Breed: Tabby
My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I help her gain weight that she lost due to her kittens which are with other people now?

Sorry to hear that your cat is having issues with not being able to gain weight.

Any time I see a cat not be able to gain weight I get worried about medical problems. In a young cat like this there is a possibility that she has a serious virus such as feline leukemia virus, FIV or FIP.

If her appetite is down it is possible that she has a problem with her kidneys, or even an infection in her uterus both of which are very serious.

While parasites can cause some mild health issues they usually don't cause significant weight loss.

If she is really pale another possibility is blood loss possibly due to a parasite called hemobartonella (or mycoplasma felis). This needs to be treated with a particular antibiotic prescribed by the vet.

It is possible for a cat to lose weight because of the stress of nursing, but this weight should come back quite rapidly once the kittens are gone. You can try feeding her kitten food which is higher in calories than adult food. But, if she is not gaining weight then she will need to see the vet to figure out what is wrong.

I hope all is well!

Can't get rid of fleas. Lately my dog has been non stop scratching and biting his skin. His skin becomes... (10146 views)

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (29088 views)

Dog's face is swollen. my dog's face is swollen, her muzzle is swollen on both sides and very firm/hard... (133359 views)

Dog ate soap. My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. ... (184934 views)

Questions about anesthesia Hi my name is Jazmin. I'm currently in college now in vet tech school. i have a... (8783 views)

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (13199 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (12608 views)

Information on parvo virus. Hello dr., I am a senior in high school doing a senior project and my topic... (21477 views)

Pancreatitis My dog had an exploratory Lap. done 3 days ago to rule out a foreign body. She had... (19497 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (17716 views)