Cat can't gain weight.

Breed: Tabby
My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I help her gain weight that she lost due to her kittens which are with other people now?

Sorry to hear that your cat is having issues with not being able to gain weight.

Any time I see a cat not be able to gain weight I get worried about medical problems. In a young cat like this there is a possibility that she has a serious virus such as feline leukemia virus, FIV or FIP.

If her appetite is down it is possible that she has a problem with her kidneys, or even an infection in her uterus both of which are very serious.

While parasites can cause some mild health issues they usually don't cause significant weight loss.

If she is really pale another possibility is blood loss possibly due to a parasite called hemobartonella (or mycoplasma felis). This needs to be treated with a particular antibiotic prescribed by the vet.

It is possible for a cat to lose weight because of the stress of nursing, but this weight should come back quite rapidly once the kittens are gone. You can try feeding her kitten food which is higher in calories than adult food. But, if she is not gaining weight then she will need to see the vet to figure out what is wrong.

I hope all is well!

Bald spots on cat's legs. I moved from Los Angeles to St.Louis with my cat. For a few months now I've noticed... (29172 views)

Swollen gums in dog. in end june of 2009 , gingivitus like symptoms appeared in my dog . the vet did... (22938 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (24369 views)

Repeated diarrhea and vomiting. Dr. Marie: Thank you for your input and warning -- this will be a bit lengthy. I... (13759 views)

Guinea pig noises. Heys! I have only one guinea pig and she is female. Sometimes my guinea pig makes... (13666 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (31718 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (32054 views)

Benadryl for swollen snout? my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its... (24500 views)

Euthanized dog with megaesophagus. 3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with... (16844 views)

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (10892 views)