Cat losing clumps of fur

Breed: domestic tabby
Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house is full of furball tumbleweeds and fat ones too! It has been going on for months. At first I thought it was just a natural shedding but it has become epic. He eats fine, isn't listless and his stools are solid.
On his patches, he is ripping out, I have looked at them closely and there is no raw, exposed scabs but on one there is a yellowish tint to a bumpy skin abrasion. But only on that one. No oozing of any sort.
He is still very affectionate and playful for his age.
What's the matter with my darling cat?

Oh, all of the hair is being ripped out on his sides between his hinds and lower stomach.

I love your cat's name. :) Sorry to hear that he is losing his fur though!

While I won't be able to tell you for certain what is happening I can definitely give you a few ideas.

While it can be very normal for a cat to shed, it shouldn't be causing him to have bald patches. There likely is some sort of medical issue going on.

First of all, is he on some type of prescription flea prevention? Even if you don't see fleas, this is the first thing that I look at when I have a cat who is having a skin condition. With that being said, though, usually cats with fleas will be most itchy over the top of their back by their tail...so this is probably not his problem (but still a possibility).

If you are seeing some type of mild lesions (the yellow tint and bumpy skin) it's definitely possible that there is some type of infection present. It could be a bacterial skin infection.

It's also very possible that this is ringworm. Ringworm isn't actually a worm, but is a fungal infection. It can be difficult to treat sometimes.

Does he have matts in his fur? If a cat has matts, often they will work and work at the matts until they manage to rip them out. Then, you will see bald spots left behind.

Some cats can overgroom like this because of "stress". It's often hard to know what the source of stress is. Given that he is 9 and just starting to do this, I don't think this is the cause.

An allergy can cause these symptoms, but the locations that you mentioned being affected are not typical for allergy.

And finally, sometimes cats can lose a lot of fur if there is an underlying medical issue. If the body is stressed by dealing with a medical problem then the coat will suffer.

I would definitely recommend having your boy see a veterinarian. They may be able to tell what is going on just by looking at him, or they may have to do some tests such as a fungal culture for ringworm.

I hope he feels better soon!

We love the NY Rangers, so hence the name. Yes, he has been on flea and tick meds - Frontline Plus for years. No matts in his fur, just clumps of hair. Isn't ring worm contagious to humans also?
I agree, to the Vet we go!
Thanks for your help.

If it is ringworm, then yes, it can be contagious to humans for sure.

Hope everything works out ok.

Allergic reaction. Harley is having the following symptoms. Shaking head regularly licking... (6734 views)

Vomiting yorkie. Abby is 15 months old. She weighs 2.5-3.0 lbs. She is spayed. My question is that... (25518 views)

Upper respiratory virus Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding... (18532 views)

Lymphangectasia in a dog Hi Dr, Sorry to bother you again. Max's biopsies came back. strong... (10731 views)

How to get cat to lose weight. I have an overweight cat - we have gotten him down by three pounds but needs to lose... (10135 views)

Lump after vaccines. ...Hello! My name is Jessie and I have a Teacup Chihuhua named Zeep. He is about 10... (17044 views)

Dogs eyes are lazy. Within the past 2 days I have noticed my dog's eyes are turing outward, like they... (103660 views)

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (6635 views)

Stuffed up nose. Dear Vet, We have a 12 year old Australian Shepard, 80 pound male. He is not having... (12811 views)

Trouble going to the bathroom. First off i want to say i really wish i could do the paid option so i could for sure... (10739 views)