Cat losing clumps of fur

Breed: domestic tabby
Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house is full of furball tumbleweeds and fat ones too! It has been going on for months. At first I thought it was just a natural shedding but it has become epic. He eats fine, isn't listless and his stools are solid.
On his patches, he is ripping out, I have looked at them closely and there is no raw, exposed scabs but on one there is a yellowish tint to a bumpy skin abrasion. But only on that one. No oozing of any sort.
He is still very affectionate and playful for his age.
What's the matter with my darling cat?

Oh, all of the hair is being ripped out on his sides between his hinds and lower stomach.

I love your cat's name. :) Sorry to hear that he is losing his fur though!

While I won't be able to tell you for certain what is happening I can definitely give you a few ideas.

While it can be very normal for a cat to shed, it shouldn't be causing him to have bald patches. There likely is some sort of medical issue going on.

First of all, is he on some type of prescription flea prevention? Even if you don't see fleas, this is the first thing that I look at when I have a cat who is having a skin condition. With that being said, though, usually cats with fleas will be most itchy over the top of their back by their tail...so this is probably not his problem (but still a possibility).

If you are seeing some type of mild lesions (the yellow tint and bumpy skin) it's definitely possible that there is some type of infection present. It could be a bacterial skin infection.

It's also very possible that this is ringworm. Ringworm isn't actually a worm, but is a fungal infection. It can be difficult to treat sometimes.

Does he have matts in his fur? If a cat has matts, often they will work and work at the matts until they manage to rip them out. Then, you will see bald spots left behind.

Some cats can overgroom like this because of "stress". It's often hard to know what the source of stress is. Given that he is 9 and just starting to do this, I don't think this is the cause.

An allergy can cause these symptoms, but the locations that you mentioned being affected are not typical for allergy.

And finally, sometimes cats can lose a lot of fur if there is an underlying medical issue. If the body is stressed by dealing with a medical problem then the coat will suffer.

I would definitely recommend having your boy see a veterinarian. They may be able to tell what is going on just by looking at him, or they may have to do some tests such as a fungal culture for ringworm.

I hope he feels better soon!

We love the NY Rangers, so hence the name. Yes, he has been on flea and tick meds - Frontline Plus for years. No matts in his fur, just clumps of hair. Isn't ring worm contagious to humans also?
I agree, to the Vet we go!
Thanks for your help.

If it is ringworm, then yes, it can be contagious to humans for sure.

Hope everything works out ok.

Sneezing and runny eyes. My cat seems to be ill. It's been a few days that starts sneezing. Now its... (5302 views)

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (94412 views)

Not putting weight on leg. Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When... (11693 views)

Pregnant cat question. Back in March approx. around the 9th my cat Faith went into heat. During this time... (31437 views)

Bump on dog's neck. Hello, I found a small, pink, raised bump on my dog's neck this morning. It is... (113666 views)

Bottom lip tremor. my poodle has recently developed a bottom lip tremor. What would cause... (31205 views)

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (20140 views)

Cat bitten by dog. My cat recently got bit by a dog. he has a huge hole on his left leg kind of toward... (6534 views)

Garlic or Vinegar for fleas? My little Lady has been to the vet and has received a flea treatment that went... (10872 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (13021 views)