Cat losing clumps of fur

Breed: domestic tabby
Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house is full of furball tumbleweeds and fat ones too! It has been going on for months. At first I thought it was just a natural shedding but it has become epic. He eats fine, isn't listless and his stools are solid.
On his patches, he is ripping out, I have looked at them closely and there is no raw, exposed scabs but on one there is a yellowish tint to a bumpy skin abrasion. But only on that one. No oozing of any sort.
He is still very affectionate and playful for his age.
What's the matter with my darling cat?

Oh, all of the hair is being ripped out on his sides between his hinds and lower stomach.

I love your cat's name. :) Sorry to hear that he is losing his fur though!

While I won't be able to tell you for certain what is happening I can definitely give you a few ideas.

While it can be very normal for a cat to shed, it shouldn't be causing him to have bald patches. There likely is some sort of medical issue going on.

First of all, is he on some type of prescription flea prevention? Even if you don't see fleas, this is the first thing that I look at when I have a cat who is having a skin condition. With that being said, though, usually cats with fleas will be most itchy over the top of their back by their tail...so this is probably not his problem (but still a possibility).

If you are seeing some type of mild lesions (the yellow tint and bumpy skin) it's definitely possible that there is some type of infection present. It could be a bacterial skin infection.

It's also very possible that this is ringworm. Ringworm isn't actually a worm, but is a fungal infection. It can be difficult to treat sometimes.

Does he have matts in his fur? If a cat has matts, often they will work and work at the matts until they manage to rip them out. Then, you will see bald spots left behind.

Some cats can overgroom like this because of "stress". It's often hard to know what the source of stress is. Given that he is 9 and just starting to do this, I don't think this is the cause.

An allergy can cause these symptoms, but the locations that you mentioned being affected are not typical for allergy.

And finally, sometimes cats can lose a lot of fur if there is an underlying medical issue. If the body is stressed by dealing with a medical problem then the coat will suffer.

I would definitely recommend having your boy see a veterinarian. They may be able to tell what is going on just by looking at him, or they may have to do some tests such as a fungal culture for ringworm.

I hope he feels better soon!

We love the NY Rangers, so hence the name. Yes, he has been on flea and tick meds - Frontline Plus for years. No matts in his fur, just clumps of hair. Isn't ring worm contagious to humans also?
I agree, to the Vet we go!
Thanks for your help.

If it is ringworm, then yes, it can be contagious to humans for sure.

Hope everything works out ok.

Possible elbow hygroma. I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini... (26512 views)

Dog limping. My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk... (9954 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (15575 views)

Lumps on hips. My dog is five years old female golden/lab. Three weeks ago I noticed two bumps at... (15246 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (10029 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (45365 views)

Cat is despondent. My cat is despondent. I don't think she's sick. I'll try anything to get some life... (6130 views)

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (6872 views)

Wounds by anus. hello, i have a boxer and it is the third time that he has some kind of wound inside... (18372 views)

Dog can't stand. Vera is unable to stand on her back legs. She also cannot climb on to sofas or... (9921 views)