Overgrooming cat.

Breed: FERAL SHORT HAIR
I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE HIM ADVANTAGE FOR FLEAS, IUSE ERADAMITE IN HIS EARS, GIVE HIM OMEG-3 AND BRUSH HIM DAILY, YET HE SPENDS ALL HIS WAKING TIME GROOMING AND KNAWING AS IF HE HAS FLES OR BUGS. I HAVE ANOTHER CAT WHO ISN'T BOTHERED AND NO EVIDENCE OF BUGS IN THE HOUSE..
WHAT CAN I DO
THANK YOU..

Hi Richard, thanks for your question!

I just have a few questions about your cat before I answer:

Does your cat have any lesions (red spots, flakiness, etc) anywhere?
Where does he seem to be the most itchy?
When did he last receive Advantage? How many times has he had advantage?

Hi Rich...just wanted to remind you that your question is here...You can click on the link below to reply to my questions.

DR. MARIE ASKED IF MI AMIGO HAS BEEN ON ADVANTAGE VERY LONG, AND MY ANSWER IS THE LAST TWO MONTHS; ALSO THERE ARE NO SKIN IRRATATIONS THAT I CAN SEE.
THANKS

Thanks for that information!

It certainly sounds like your cat is quite uncomfortable. I wish I could examine him to see if I could have a better idea as to what is going on. However, I can give you a few ideas.

You may be seeing signs of an allergy. While the most common allergy is fleas, we can probably rule this out because your cat is on Advantage which is an excellent flea product. It is also possible that he is allergic to his food. If so, he may need a trial of hypoallergenic food to see if this helps. By far the best hypoallergenic foods are those available at the vet's office. If this is working it may take 6-8 weeks for him to be better.

It is also possible that he is allergic to something in the environment which is harder to deal with. Most cats with environmental allergies need a small dose of steroids prescribed by the vet.

Another possibility is a parasite called Demodex Gattoi. However, if this were the case I would expect both cats to have it.

And then, we see some cats who can overgroom due to stress. Often the source of stress is never found. However, these cats are not usually chewing to the extreme that you have mentioned.

Ideally it would be best to have your vet take a look at him. They may be able to administer a steroid injection which should work for 4-6 weeks and if they feel it is warranted they will prescribe a hypoallergenic food. Or, you can try changing his food and see how things go and if there is no improvement in a few weeks then take him to the vet.

If you have more concerns, just hit reply below, scroll down and you can ask me any more questions you have about this concern!

Best ear cleaner? i would like to know which solution is better to use, oti-clens or... (6042 views)

Itchy mouth in a dog. For quite sometime now she has been experiencing something that is irritating her... (66967 views)

Cushing's and diabetes. My dog was diagnosed last month with cushings disease and diabetes. He's up to 14... (16381 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (90293 views)

Itchy dog. This is a follow on of a question past #2740. Choo Choo's itch has continued all... (6792 views)

Increased appetite and hair loss. My Burmese cat is losing her hair all over and I am concerned about how hungry she... (6295 views)

Milk for cat? Is milk good for a one month old... (6830 views)

Is aspirin safe for dogs? I bought the excel enteric coated aspirin 81mg each for my 85lb husky. I don't know... (16803 views)

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (9798 views)

Does my cat have a hernia? Hi, My cat was operated on Thursday. My vet suspected that there may have been a... (24430 views)