Overgrooming cat.

Breed: FERAL SHORT HAIR
I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE HIM ADVANTAGE FOR FLEAS, IUSE ERADAMITE IN HIS EARS, GIVE HIM OMEG-3 AND BRUSH HIM DAILY, YET HE SPENDS ALL HIS WAKING TIME GROOMING AND KNAWING AS IF HE HAS FLES OR BUGS. I HAVE ANOTHER CAT WHO ISN'T BOTHERED AND NO EVIDENCE OF BUGS IN THE HOUSE..
WHAT CAN I DO
THANK YOU..

Hi Richard, thanks for your question!

I just have a few questions about your cat before I answer:

Does your cat have any lesions (red spots, flakiness, etc) anywhere?
Where does he seem to be the most itchy?
When did he last receive Advantage? How many times has he had advantage?

Hi Rich...just wanted to remind you that your question is here...You can click on the link below to reply to my questions.

DR. MARIE ASKED IF MI AMIGO HAS BEEN ON ADVANTAGE VERY LONG, AND MY ANSWER IS THE LAST TWO MONTHS; ALSO THERE ARE NO SKIN IRRATATIONS THAT I CAN SEE.
THANKS

Thanks for that information!

It certainly sounds like your cat is quite uncomfortable. I wish I could examine him to see if I could have a better idea as to what is going on. However, I can give you a few ideas.

You may be seeing signs of an allergy. While the most common allergy is fleas, we can probably rule this out because your cat is on Advantage which is an excellent flea product. It is also possible that he is allergic to his food. If so, he may need a trial of hypoallergenic food to see if this helps. By far the best hypoallergenic foods are those available at the vet's office. If this is working it may take 6-8 weeks for him to be better.

It is also possible that he is allergic to something in the environment which is harder to deal with. Most cats with environmental allergies need a small dose of steroids prescribed by the vet.

Another possibility is a parasite called Demodex Gattoi. However, if this were the case I would expect both cats to have it.

And then, we see some cats who can overgroom due to stress. Often the source of stress is never found. However, these cats are not usually chewing to the extreme that you have mentioned.

Ideally it would be best to have your vet take a look at him. They may be able to administer a steroid injection which should work for 4-6 weeks and if they feel it is warranted they will prescribe a hypoallergenic food. Or, you can try changing his food and see how things go and if there is no improvement in a few weeks then take him to the vet.

If you have more concerns, just hit reply below, scroll down and you can ask me any more questions you have about this concern!

Heart murmur in puppy. Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's... (6191 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (7833 views)

Puppy with crystals. our registered golden retriever,Ginger, had a litter of puppies a few months ago(no... (10592 views)

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (4228 views)

Can't bear weight. This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog... (7095 views)

Urinating in home. My cat is urinating all over my home. We recently moved into it about 2 months ago.... (7311 views)

Kitten died. Hello I work at the humane society. We recently adopted out a 13 week old long... (7591 views)

Dog losing chunks of fur. My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns... (9421 views)

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (96946 views)

Home remedy for ear infection? Hello, My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to... (12574 views)