Overgrooming cat.

Breed: FERAL SHORT HAIR
I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE HIM ADVANTAGE FOR FLEAS, IUSE ERADAMITE IN HIS EARS, GIVE HIM OMEG-3 AND BRUSH HIM DAILY, YET HE SPENDS ALL HIS WAKING TIME GROOMING AND KNAWING AS IF HE HAS FLES OR BUGS. I HAVE ANOTHER CAT WHO ISN'T BOTHERED AND NO EVIDENCE OF BUGS IN THE HOUSE..
WHAT CAN I DO
THANK YOU..

Hi Richard, thanks for your question!

I just have a few questions about your cat before I answer:

Does your cat have any lesions (red spots, flakiness, etc) anywhere?
Where does he seem to be the most itchy?
When did he last receive Advantage? How many times has he had advantage?

Hi Rich...just wanted to remind you that your question is here...You can click on the link below to reply to my questions.

DR. MARIE ASKED IF MI AMIGO HAS BEEN ON ADVANTAGE VERY LONG, AND MY ANSWER IS THE LAST TWO MONTHS; ALSO THERE ARE NO SKIN IRRATATIONS THAT I CAN SEE.
THANKS

Thanks for that information!

It certainly sounds like your cat is quite uncomfortable. I wish I could examine him to see if I could have a better idea as to what is going on. However, I can give you a few ideas.

You may be seeing signs of an allergy. While the most common allergy is fleas, we can probably rule this out because your cat is on Advantage which is an excellent flea product. It is also possible that he is allergic to his food. If so, he may need a trial of hypoallergenic food to see if this helps. By far the best hypoallergenic foods are those available at the vet's office. If this is working it may take 6-8 weeks for him to be better.

It is also possible that he is allergic to something in the environment which is harder to deal with. Most cats with environmental allergies need a small dose of steroids prescribed by the vet.

Another possibility is a parasite called Demodex Gattoi. However, if this were the case I would expect both cats to have it.

And then, we see some cats who can overgroom due to stress. Often the source of stress is never found. However, these cats are not usually chewing to the extreme that you have mentioned.

Ideally it would be best to have your vet take a look at him. They may be able to administer a steroid injection which should work for 4-6 weeks and if they feel it is warranted they will prescribe a hypoallergenic food. Or, you can try changing his food and see how things go and if there is no improvement in a few weeks then take him to the vet.

If you have more concerns, just hit reply below, scroll down and you can ask me any more questions you have about this concern!

Sores on dog's nose. Dr. Marie- Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his... (83068 views)

Dog sick after eating apricots. Yesterday I found Poppy and my other Aussie eating apricots from the neighbors... (22140 views)

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (19047 views)

Cats pooping on the carpet. I have 2 beautiful, loving cats (male/female) 6 years old. They are siblings from... (18276 views)

Suddenly jumps up. I have a dauschund and sheltie mix dog. He's about 3 years old. I've had him for 2... (76671 views)

Lump on paw pad. Hi Dr. Marie! Baileys is a patient of yours at Beechwood Animal Hospital. We were... (46556 views)

Regular anal gland expression. Hello, I am trying to get some answers about my puppy's anal gland problem. I... (8366 views)

Swollen cheek on puppy. 3 days ago I came home to find my dogs right cheek swollen to golf ball size. ... (15524 views)

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (6520 views)

Puppy not eating. Hello my 7 month old pup just recently started to eat less. This just started 2... (25745 views)