Overgrooming cat.

Breed: FERAL SHORT HAIR
I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE HIM ADVANTAGE FOR FLEAS, IUSE ERADAMITE IN HIS EARS, GIVE HIM OMEG-3 AND BRUSH HIM DAILY, YET HE SPENDS ALL HIS WAKING TIME GROOMING AND KNAWING AS IF HE HAS FLES OR BUGS. I HAVE ANOTHER CAT WHO ISN'T BOTHERED AND NO EVIDENCE OF BUGS IN THE HOUSE..
WHAT CAN I DO
THANK YOU..

Hi Richard, thanks for your question!

I just have a few questions about your cat before I answer:

Does your cat have any lesions (red spots, flakiness, etc) anywhere?
Where does he seem to be the most itchy?
When did he last receive Advantage? How many times has he had advantage?

Hi Rich...just wanted to remind you that your question is here...You can click on the link below to reply to my questions.

DR. MARIE ASKED IF MI AMIGO HAS BEEN ON ADVANTAGE VERY LONG, AND MY ANSWER IS THE LAST TWO MONTHS; ALSO THERE ARE NO SKIN IRRATATIONS THAT I CAN SEE.
THANKS

Thanks for that information!

It certainly sounds like your cat is quite uncomfortable. I wish I could examine him to see if I could have a better idea as to what is going on. However, I can give you a few ideas.

You may be seeing signs of an allergy. While the most common allergy is fleas, we can probably rule this out because your cat is on Advantage which is an excellent flea product. It is also possible that he is allergic to his food. If so, he may need a trial of hypoallergenic food to see if this helps. By far the best hypoallergenic foods are those available at the vet's office. If this is working it may take 6-8 weeks for him to be better.

It is also possible that he is allergic to something in the environment which is harder to deal with. Most cats with environmental allergies need a small dose of steroids prescribed by the vet.

Another possibility is a parasite called Demodex Gattoi. However, if this were the case I would expect both cats to have it.

And then, we see some cats who can overgroom due to stress. Often the source of stress is never found. However, these cats are not usually chewing to the extreme that you have mentioned.

Ideally it would be best to have your vet take a look at him. They may be able to administer a steroid injection which should work for 4-6 weeks and if they feel it is warranted they will prescribe a hypoallergenic food. Or, you can try changing his food and see how things go and if there is no improvement in a few weeks then take him to the vet.

If you have more concerns, just hit reply below, scroll down and you can ask me any more questions you have about this concern!

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (43659 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (15021 views)

Itchy dog. Desirae was gave to us,she was dirty and i belive she was kept outside,when we got... (6104 views)

Dark spot on eye. scooby recently has a darker spot on his pupil, other than that his health is... (28297 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 10 week old OES pup, male. He is in good weight, healthy... (15739 views)

Bumps near mouth and chin. My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what... (16776 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (15098 views)

Seizures in a Yorkie. This past Monday she had an episode where she went limp and wasn't responsive to her... (23003 views)

Sudden bulldog death. Hello Dr. Marie, I own a boarding kennel and have for fifteen years. We pride... (28461 views)

Itchy feet, belly, tail. I live in MA with my dog. We went to NY (an hour north of NYC) at the very beginning... (29444 views)