Puppy vomited and became unresponsive.

Breed: Pomeranian cross kel
My puppy violet was out on her walk this afternoon and she started dry reaching and after a few minutes threw up- this was white with grass in it. She refused to walk any further so I started carrying her. After a moment I noticed a strange smell and realised she had diarrhoea. It was green/yellow in colour and had a metallic/fishy smell. She also was quite limp and not responding to her name- normally she is very lively. After about 20 minutes of me carrying her home she seemed fine. When we got home she drank water and she has eaten dry food for her dinner (I didn't want to agitate her stomach). As far as I know she has just eaten grass, we don't have any chemicals or animal bait she could have eaten and is fully vaccinated. We have another dog who is a kelpie cross German shepherd and he is fine, showing no symptoms of illness. What could have been/be wrong with violet?

Hmmm...this is an interesting situation. It's not uncommon for a puppy to eat grass and vomit, but to then immediately have diarrhea and be limp and unresponsive is very unusual.

One possibility is that Violet could have a condition called Addison's. Addison's is not common and is even less common in puppies though. Addison's is a serious and lifelong disease but there are medications to treat it.

It's also possible that she had some sort of a seizure. Often we don't find the cause of a seizure, but it is common to have vomiting, diarrhea and then be unresponsive afterwards.

A toxin is possible, but seems unlikely. It would be very unusual for her to be affected for only 20 minutes and then be fine.

Had Violet eaten before walking? Sometimes tiny puppies can get hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) which could cause an incident like this.

Similarly, some small puppies can have a condition called a liver shunt (or portosystemic shunt) that can cause them to have odd episodes like this.

Another possibility would be a serious heart condition. However, if she had this, then her vet likely would have heard a significant heart murmur on her.

At this point, if she seems like she is relatively ok, then I wouldn't rush in to emergency. Here are some criteria for whether or not you should see an emergency vet:

1. If it happens again today.
2. If you feel like she is really uncomfortable.
3. If you notice a very excessive thirst and urination (as this can be a sign of a toxin).

It probably is a good idea to have your vet do some general bloodwork and a good exam in the next week though just to see if there is anything obvious going on.

Hopefully I haven't scared you with all of these frightening possibilities. My gut instinct is that this is nothing terribly serious, but I would still be a little worried.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Blood behind dog's ears. I noticed a couple of days ago what looked like mud behind her ears, now it's bloody... (32387 views)

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (20390 views)

Bladder stones and crystals. Hello Dr. Marie: Last fall and again in April of this year, Jazz got what was... (9948 views)

Large mammary glands. Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in... (9752 views)

Kitten eating her feces. My kitten keeps eating her own poo and vomiting it back up and i dont know why... (10876 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (18464 views)

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (8939 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (8428 views)

Dog losing chunks of fur. My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns... (9006 views)

Lab swallowed a shotgun shell. my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i... (8908 views)