Puppy vomited and became unresponsive.

Breed: Pomeranian cross kel
My puppy violet was out on her walk this afternoon and she started dry reaching and after a few minutes threw up- this was white with grass in it. She refused to walk any further so I started carrying her. After a moment I noticed a strange smell and realised she had diarrhoea. It was green/yellow in colour and had a metallic/fishy smell. She also was quite limp and not responding to her name- normally she is very lively. After about 20 minutes of me carrying her home she seemed fine. When we got home she drank water and she has eaten dry food for her dinner (I didn't want to agitate her stomach). As far as I know she has just eaten grass, we don't have any chemicals or animal bait she could have eaten and is fully vaccinated. We have another dog who is a kelpie cross German shepherd and he is fine, showing no symptoms of illness. What could have been/be wrong with violet?

Hmmm...this is an interesting situation. It's not uncommon for a puppy to eat grass and vomit, but to then immediately have diarrhea and be limp and unresponsive is very unusual.

One possibility is that Violet could have a condition called Addison's. Addison's is not common and is even less common in puppies though. Addison's is a serious and lifelong disease but there are medications to treat it.

It's also possible that she had some sort of a seizure. Often we don't find the cause of a seizure, but it is common to have vomiting, diarrhea and then be unresponsive afterwards.

A toxin is possible, but seems unlikely. It would be very unusual for her to be affected for only 20 minutes and then be fine.

Had Violet eaten before walking? Sometimes tiny puppies can get hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) which could cause an incident like this.

Similarly, some small puppies can have a condition called a liver shunt (or portosystemic shunt) that can cause them to have odd episodes like this.

Another possibility would be a serious heart condition. However, if she had this, then her vet likely would have heard a significant heart murmur on her.

At this point, if she seems like she is relatively ok, then I wouldn't rush in to emergency. Here are some criteria for whether or not you should see an emergency vet:

1. If it happens again today.
2. If you feel like she is really uncomfortable.
3. If you notice a very excessive thirst and urination (as this can be a sign of a toxin).

It probably is a good idea to have your vet do some general bloodwork and a good exam in the next week though just to see if there is anything obvious going on.

Hopefully I haven't scared you with all of these frightening possibilities. My gut instinct is that this is nothing terribly serious, but I would still be a little worried.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (9832 views)

Matts on my cat I have a long hair cat with alot of matted hair. I also got L'oreal tangle tamer for... (6691 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. I have a 4mo old kitten who has had diarrhea 2 days and threw up last night. No... (5244 views)

Jaw cancer? Hello doctor. My question is about my 8-10 year old cat. He has had teeth removed do... (11872 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (24306 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi there, I have two cats, a male (Duke, long haired tabby) and female (Bella,... (7765 views)

Human mouthwash for dog? Can I give my dog diluted mouthwash (regular people mouthwash) I want to mix a... (18758 views)

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (28181 views)

Parvo and hookworms. Last Monday, I got this puppy, a miniature doxen. Well, the first few days he was a... (22741 views)

53 days pregnant. My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly... (48760 views)