Sudden death in a dog after swimming.

Breed: pit bull terrier
My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly siffing up and fell over dead! What could have caused this to happen? She was healthy and shots up to date. Thank You

Oh my! I am so sorry to hear that this happened.

Unfortunately no one will be able to tell you for sure what happened without doing a post mortem exam. But, I can give you a few of my thoughts.

When a young, healthy dog dies suddenly like this I usually think of a heart condition called dilated cardiomyopathy. Dogs who have this condition will often have no clinical signs. Sometimes a vet can hear a heart murmur, but often we don't. If it was dilated cardiomyopathy then the good news is that your dog likely did not suffer at all.

Another possibility is if your dog had a tumor on the spleen that suddenly ruptured. However, this is more common in older dogs.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (3978 views)

Tumor on spinal cord. My dog is diagnosed with cancer. An NMR has been done. The tumor is affecting his... (4311 views)

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (10394 views)

Contagious seizures. Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010.... (9816 views)

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (11647 views)

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (7153 views)

Maltese has bald spot on head. We have a two year old Maltese that had a small bald spot on her head when we got... (10488 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (5936 views)

Bloated stomach in Papillion. my dog had a bloated stomach and had trouble going to the bathroom and the next day... (20733 views)

Does Hartz kill roundworms? well, this one time when I had a lab mix puppy that wasn't vetted or wormed or... (7619 views)