Sudden death in a dog after swimming.

Breed: pit bull terrier
My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly siffing up and fell over dead! What could have caused this to happen? She was healthy and shots up to date. Thank You

Oh my! I am so sorry to hear that this happened.

Unfortunately no one will be able to tell you for sure what happened without doing a post mortem exam. But, I can give you a few of my thoughts.

When a young, healthy dog dies suddenly like this I usually think of a heart condition called dilated cardiomyopathy. Dogs who have this condition will often have no clinical signs. Sometimes a vet can hear a heart murmur, but often we don't. If it was dilated cardiomyopathy then the good news is that your dog likely did not suffer at all.

Another possibility is if your dog had a tumor on the spleen that suddenly ruptured. However, this is more common in older dogs.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Red lump between dog's toes. Hello I noticed that Sam has a big red swellen bump between second and third... (94723 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (14430 views)

Patches of fur loss. My dog has small patches of fur coming out & he has a few bald spots around his neck... (12006 views)

Why did my dog die? I have a query re. cause of death in older dog. She was a Yorkshire Terrier,... (31689 views)

43 days pregnant and not eating. MY DOG IS 43 DAYS PREGNANT, SHE HAS LOW APETITE, DOCTOR PRESCRIBED PETPRO TABS 1... (9987 views)

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (12843 views)

Why did my puppy die? Hello, I'm in the UK and I hope you can give me some idea as to why my seemingly... (13701 views)

Megacolon cat with problems. Addie was diagnosed with megacolon at age 2. The vet prescribed medications - I... (10072 views)

Mycoplasma in rats. Hi, my name is Ann and I have two rats, Pinky and Roc. Unfortunately, one has... (12326 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (69260 views)