Sudden death in a dog after swimming.

Breed: pit bull terrier
My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly siffing up and fell over dead! What could have caused this to happen? She was healthy and shots up to date. Thank You

Oh my! I am so sorry to hear that this happened.

Unfortunately no one will be able to tell you for sure what happened without doing a post mortem exam. But, I can give you a few of my thoughts.

When a young, healthy dog dies suddenly like this I usually think of a heart condition called dilated cardiomyopathy. Dogs who have this condition will often have no clinical signs. Sometimes a vet can hear a heart murmur, but often we don't. If it was dilated cardiomyopathy then the good news is that your dog likely did not suffer at all.

Another possibility is if your dog had a tumor on the spleen that suddenly ruptured. However, this is more common in older dogs.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Bleeding cat? my cat (female and she has has been neutered)appears to be dropping a red liquid in... (12912 views)

Dog scratching and biting. My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have... (21034 views)

Sore leg in 16 year old cat. Hello We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has... (7148 views)

Pit bull with pink skin. I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately... (54709 views)

Rare form hepatitis. I got Sadie in January this year. She is a rescue. She's been sick since February.... (6514 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (11537 views)

Dog has an upset stomach. Hi, (again) Dr. Marie: For the past week, Jammy has been having an upset stomach... (13244 views)

low protein food My brother's cat, who is about 14 years old, recently got bloodwork done at the vet,... (10467 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (40692 views)

Peeing outside of box. Hi Dr Marie, My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was... (11771 views)