Sudden death in a dog after swimming.

Breed: pit bull terrier
My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly siffing up and fell over dead! What could have caused this to happen? She was healthy and shots up to date. Thank You

Oh my! I am so sorry to hear that this happened.

Unfortunately no one will be able to tell you for sure what happened without doing a post mortem exam. But, I can give you a few of my thoughts.

When a young, healthy dog dies suddenly like this I usually think of a heart condition called dilated cardiomyopathy. Dogs who have this condition will often have no clinical signs. Sometimes a vet can hear a heart murmur, but often we don't. If it was dilated cardiomyopathy then the good news is that your dog likely did not suffer at all.

Another possibility is if your dog had a tumor on the spleen that suddenly ruptured. However, this is more common in older dogs.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Swollen lab. Hi, my name is Ron Lamoureux. One month ago I noticed that my 2 yr old Lab... (7872 views)

Irregular heart rhythm. MY 12 year old lurcher ran into a car and broke a leg and a few ribs he is in... (7272 views)

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (16546 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (7999 views)

Lump on jaw. OK...my cat has a lump on her neck/jaw. One vet has told me it was an... (23003 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (7957 views)

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (8785 views)

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (5091 views)

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (13826 views)

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (8716 views)