Sudden death in a dog after swimming.

Breed: pit bull terrier
My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly siffing up and fell over dead! What could have caused this to happen? She was healthy and shots up to date. Thank You

Oh my! I am so sorry to hear that this happened.

Unfortunately no one will be able to tell you for sure what happened without doing a post mortem exam. But, I can give you a few of my thoughts.

When a young, healthy dog dies suddenly like this I usually think of a heart condition called dilated cardiomyopathy. Dogs who have this condition will often have no clinical signs. Sometimes a vet can hear a heart murmur, but often we don't. If it was dilated cardiomyopathy then the good news is that your dog likely did not suffer at all.

Another possibility is if your dog had a tumor on the spleen that suddenly ruptured. However, this is more common in older dogs.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Ivermectin toxicity? Help! I think that I am accidentally poisoning my boy 4 year old by giving him... (15210 views)

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (10503 views)

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (18576 views)

Cat urinalysis. Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! My cat DB had a Urinalysis (by... (5951 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (38306 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (6289 views)

Wobbly cavalier during pregnancy. Hi, we have a female 3 year old cavalier king charles spaniel. she is 5 weeks... (9323 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (9829 views)

Sniffling, sneezing cat. For the past two days our cat has been constantly sniffling and sneezing and has... (55764 views)

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (30337 views)