Sudden death in a dog after swimming.

Breed: pit bull terrier
My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly siffing up and fell over dead! What could have caused this to happen? She was healthy and shots up to date. Thank You

Oh my! I am so sorry to hear that this happened.

Unfortunately no one will be able to tell you for sure what happened without doing a post mortem exam. But, I can give you a few of my thoughts.

When a young, healthy dog dies suddenly like this I usually think of a heart condition called dilated cardiomyopathy. Dogs who have this condition will often have no clinical signs. Sometimes a vet can hear a heart murmur, but often we don't. If it was dilated cardiomyopathy then the good news is that your dog likely did not suffer at all.

Another possibility is if your dog had a tumor on the spleen that suddenly ruptured. However, this is more common in older dogs.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

lump on spay incision Hello Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed 5 days ago. Her incision looks wonderful... (26855 views)

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (7826 views)

Lab is not eating. my dog is a labrador retriever and about 9 years old. he was a solid eater and never... (7131 views)

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (21336 views)

Click in dog's elbow. Hi Dr. I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it.... (12362 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (7328 views)

Bald on belly. My cat is around seven years old and recently started going bald on her stomach.... (10703 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (7239 views)

Swollen ear flap. i have a dog named shiloh and something is wrong with his ear and i just need to... (11242 views)

Sore anus after using chlorox wipe. I put a Clorox Disenfecting Wipes on my dog's anus. It's been a couple of days and... (12508 views)