Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog ate grapes.

Species: Dog
Breed: Westie
Age: 1-2 years
My dog ate 3 grapes! My son gave them to him about 2-3 hours ago. Are grapes toxic? Do I need an emergency visit?



Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Are grapes bad for dogs?

Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

This is always a tough call! It has been shown that a small percentage of dogs can develop renal failure from eating even a small amount of grapes or raisins.

If we play the odds, most likely your dog will be ok. However, the dogs that do get affected are usually very sick and can possibly die.

At 2-3 hours post ingestion it is debatable whether or not inducing vomiting will produce the grapes, but if this were my dog I would probably try it. Here is some info on how to do that:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If you wanted to be absolutely sure there is no problem it is not a bad idea to do an emergency visit and have your vet administer some activated charcoal.

Certainly if you notice any signs of kidney problems in the net few days such as increased thirst and urination, lethargy or vomiting then a vet visit is in order.

Related question: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (43676 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (20892 views)

Ear mite treatment for dogs and cats. Hello, I just noticed the other day that my cat and dog has alot of ... (9316 views)

Shaking cat. My cat, Misty will be 14 in Aug. The only problems she’s had until recently have... (10636 views)

Should we euthanize? Hershey was diagnosed with lymphoma today. He has two large swollen nodes under his... (14539 views)

Vomiting and elevated liver enzymes. Hi Dr. Marie, I don't know the appropriate name for my dog's breed, but I have... (24824 views)

Overdose of Xanax. Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my... (80323 views)

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (7573 views)

How often is heat cycle? Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how... (26689 views)

Hair loss at base of tail. My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald... (14471 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.