Kitten not pooping.

Breed: longhair?
Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4 weeks old now. He is starting to walk and walk fast. When I stimulate him to go to the bathroom, he will go pee but no poo. So I'm wondering if maybe he wanders off and goes poo on his own possibly? I've had him for about a week now, and he seems really healthy to me. But I'm wondering if maybe that could be the answer. I hope to hear back from you. Thanks.

Emily

Hi Emily...this is an unusual situation. By 4 weeks a cat should definitely be able to defecate on his own. If he has gone a week and hasn't had any bowel movement then you should have your vet take a look.

There is a condition where cats can be born with no anus and the stool simply backs up. However, it would be unlikely that he could survive for 4 weeks without having a single bowel movement.

It would be a good idea to have a thorough search throughout the house to see if he is defecating elsewhere. If not, I think a vet visit is a good idea!

Cat with coccidia My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she... (6638 views)

Low fat foods and tripe for pancreatitis. My 3 yr old Golden who was on Orijen for 2 years had a pancreatitis attack about 6... (21917 views)

Dog can't bark. I just recent spayed my dog this summer and i recently noticed that her bark sounds... (21705 views)

Cat can't gain weight. My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I... (14791 views)

Cat struggling to breathe. It looks like my cat is struggling to breathe. I can see her chest moving up and... (12001 views)

Lump under eye. Hello Marie My yellow lab "Lucy" has developed a hard lump one inch under her left... (46561 views)

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (6409 views)

Kitten diarrhea. my cat is having diarrhea and is growing weak everyday. he's feces have mucus and he... (8522 views)

Switching foods for allergies. My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and... (6596 views)

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (3738 views)