Kitten not pooping.

Breed: longhair?
Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4 weeks old now. He is starting to walk and walk fast. When I stimulate him to go to the bathroom, he will go pee but no poo. So I'm wondering if maybe he wanders off and goes poo on his own possibly? I've had him for about a week now, and he seems really healthy to me. But I'm wondering if maybe that could be the answer. I hope to hear back from you. Thanks.

Emily

Hi Emily...this is an unusual situation. By 4 weeks a cat should definitely be able to defecate on his own. If he has gone a week and hasn't had any bowel movement then you should have your vet take a look.

There is a condition where cats can be born with no anus and the stool simply backs up. However, it would be unlikely that he could survive for 4 weeks without having a single bowel movement.

It would be a good idea to have a thorough search throughout the house to see if he is defecating elsewhere. If not, I think a vet visit is a good idea!

Cushing's and diabetes. My dog was diagnosed last month with cushings disease and diabetes. He's up to 14... (14736 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (4363 views)

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (8949 views)

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (6613 views)

Cat losing weight Hello, I took my 15 year old neutered cat to the vet the other day because he was... (11524 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (9687 views)

Steroid shot and NSAID? Hi Dr. Marie, Bare with me in my lengthy explanation :) I recently found out... (8153 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (43379 views)

Patellar luxation surgery for pomeranian? Hi, How necessary is it to have surgery on a 2 year old Pomeranian's back legs to... (5197 views)

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (7258 views)