Kitten not pooping.

Breed: longhair?
Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4 weeks old now. He is starting to walk and walk fast. When I stimulate him to go to the bathroom, he will go pee but no poo. So I'm wondering if maybe he wanders off and goes poo on his own possibly? I've had him for about a week now, and he seems really healthy to me. But I'm wondering if maybe that could be the answer. I hope to hear back from you. Thanks.

Emily

Hi Emily...this is an unusual situation. By 4 weeks a cat should definitely be able to defecate on his own. If he has gone a week and hasn't had any bowel movement then you should have your vet take a look.

There is a condition where cats can be born with no anus and the stool simply backs up. However, it would be unlikely that he could survive for 4 weeks without having a single bowel movement.

It would be a good idea to have a thorough search throughout the house to see if he is defecating elsewhere. If not, I think a vet visit is a good idea!

Vomiting Dog. I contacted you about Little White Dog on April 24. She had had an exploratory to... (19208 views)

Bladder stones and crystals. Hello Dr. Marie: Last fall and again in April of this year, Jazz got what was... (10696 views)

Dog looks depressed. Hello, Dr. My dog is pretty active but he usually looks "depressed" out of the... (8454 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (5296 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (188221 views)

Rest for cruciate tears. Is there any unequivical, clinical evidence of a positive effect of... (11072 views)

Dog has itchy lumps my dog has lumps on her body and are a bit... (11515 views)

Kitten has bad breath. I am having serious problems because my cat is having very smelly and bad breath... (33073 views)

Missed vaccines. My dog is approximatley 4 years old and hasnt had any injections since she was... (5200 views)

Cat has a watery eye. Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums... (11832 views)