Kitten not pooping.

Breed: longhair?
Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4 weeks old now. He is starting to walk and walk fast. When I stimulate him to go to the bathroom, he will go pee but no poo. So I'm wondering if maybe he wanders off and goes poo on his own possibly? I've had him for about a week now, and he seems really healthy to me. But I'm wondering if maybe that could be the answer. I hope to hear back from you. Thanks.

Emily

Hi Emily...this is an unusual situation. By 4 weeks a cat should definitely be able to defecate on his own. If he has gone a week and hasn't had any bowel movement then you should have your vet take a look.

There is a condition where cats can be born with no anus and the stool simply backs up. However, it would be unlikely that he could survive for 4 weeks without having a single bowel movement.

It would be a good idea to have a thorough search throughout the house to see if he is defecating elsewhere. If not, I think a vet visit is a good idea!

Puppy died. My 7week old puppy died yesterday. She laid around all weekend and was not very... (9879 views)

Dried blood in ferret's ears. My ferret has dry blood in it's ears what does that... (14487 views)

Stopped prednisolone suddenly. Hi Dr. Marie, My 2.5 year old cat, Pebbles, was diagnosed with pretty severe... (21556 views)

Surgery needed for cruciate tear? Hello again Dr. Marie, you seem like a compassionate and caring person, so I would... (4857 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (18303 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (58974 views)

Regular vs baby aspirin I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer... (20811 views)

Possibly hip dysplasia. Dear Dr. Marie, I recently had to put my dog down as he was only two and a half... (7745 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (9674 views)

Lumps on belly Hello, Dr. Marie: I noticed some small bumps on my dog's bladder on/near the site... (17881 views)