Kitten not pooping.

Breed: longhair?
Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4 weeks old now. He is starting to walk and walk fast. When I stimulate him to go to the bathroom, he will go pee but no poo. So I'm wondering if maybe he wanders off and goes poo on his own possibly? I've had him for about a week now, and he seems really healthy to me. But I'm wondering if maybe that could be the answer. I hope to hear back from you. Thanks.

Emily

Hi Emily...this is an unusual situation. By 4 weeks a cat should definitely be able to defecate on his own. If he has gone a week and hasn't had any bowel movement then you should have your vet take a look.

There is a condition where cats can be born with no anus and the stool simply backs up. However, it would be unlikely that he could survive for 4 weeks without having a single bowel movement.

It would be a good idea to have a thorough search throughout the house to see if he is defecating elsewhere. If not, I think a vet visit is a good idea!

Dog ate M&M's. My 20 pound dachsund just ate a pack of M&M chocolate!!! Will he die? PLEASE... (42218 views)

Is my cat pregnant? we just opened our home to a female stray cat. i estimated her to be a year old or... (9366 views)

Cat hair loss. My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out.... (50026 views)

Skin infection is back. Hello Doctor, My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as... (8082 views)

Boxer grinding teeth. my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this... (49960 views)

Goat's milk for puppies. Is goat's milk good to give nursing puppies? My puppies won't nurse and I was told... (7137 views)

Cushing's and panting. I saw where you advised a person on dog breathing problems, that is could be... (39345 views)

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (135767 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (11976 views)

Cancer or infection? I recently had to put my dog to sleep after I found out he had cancer that had... (9605 views)