Kitten not pooping.

Breed: longhair?
Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4 weeks old now. He is starting to walk and walk fast. When I stimulate him to go to the bathroom, he will go pee but no poo. So I'm wondering if maybe he wanders off and goes poo on his own possibly? I've had him for about a week now, and he seems really healthy to me. But I'm wondering if maybe that could be the answer. I hope to hear back from you. Thanks.

Emily

Hi Emily...this is an unusual situation. By 4 weeks a cat should definitely be able to defecate on his own. If he has gone a week and hasn't had any bowel movement then you should have your vet take a look.

There is a condition where cats can be born with no anus and the stool simply backs up. However, it would be unlikely that he could survive for 4 weeks without having a single bowel movement.

It would be a good idea to have a thorough search throughout the house to see if he is defecating elsewhere. If not, I think a vet visit is a good idea!

Test for Cushings? My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise... (6352 views)

Not well after vaccines. Had rabies distemper & bord shots fri Gave her frontline & heartguard yest night.... (9836 views)

Dog scratching and biting. My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have... (18800 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (29837 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (77537 views)

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (11462 views)

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (7920 views)

Trembling chihuahua. SHE HAS BEEN TREMBLING FOR 2 DAYS AND HAS NOT EATEN FOR FOR 2 DAYS. OTHERWISE SHE... (9525 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. I brought my cat to the vet because his ear was bothering him the other day. Now it... (17719 views)

Sore black lab? Hi, I have a 6 1/2 year old extremely active Black Lab named Miller. He loves to... (21990 views)