Kitten not pooping.

Breed: longhair?
Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4 weeks old now. He is starting to walk and walk fast. When I stimulate him to go to the bathroom, he will go pee but no poo. So I'm wondering if maybe he wanders off and goes poo on his own possibly? I've had him for about a week now, and he seems really healthy to me. But I'm wondering if maybe that could be the answer. I hope to hear back from you. Thanks.

Emily

Hi Emily...this is an unusual situation. By 4 weeks a cat should definitely be able to defecate on his own. If he has gone a week and hasn't had any bowel movement then you should have your vet take a look.

There is a condition where cats can be born with no anus and the stool simply backs up. However, it would be unlikely that he could survive for 4 weeks without having a single bowel movement.

It would be a good idea to have a thorough search throughout the house to see if he is defecating elsewhere. If not, I think a vet visit is a good idea!

Rapid breathing while sleeping. I own a white female boxer. She born in oct. 30,2009. I notice when she's sleeping... (15159 views)

Pomeranian in pain. I have a 4 year old pom. All of a sudden, 3 weeks ago he started having abdominal... (16814 views)

Ear mite treatment for dogs and cats. Hello, I just noticed the other day that my cat and dog has alot of ... (9915 views)

Megaesophagus in a puppy. I have a 7 week old lab/pit mix puppy who has been throwing up her food since we got... (9473 views)

Coughing chihuahua My chihuahua has had an intermittent cough since roughly last year when she had most... (15692 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (8644 views)

Peeing in the house. I would like a REAL solution to this, without the standard answers or suggestions(... (9290 views)

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (9370 views)

Red spot on dog's neck. I just noticed a red spot on my pug. I will try to attach a picture. It's on his... (21050 views)

Weak legs on Coton deTulear. Hi! I have an 8 month old Coton de Tulear that I acquired through a very... (8225 views)