Vuvlar tumor in a cat.

Breed: russian blue

2 weeks ago i had my russian blue sterilised cat (elderly not sure how old as she came to me as a stray but she was at least 15) put to sleep, 8 weeks before she was diagnosed with a vulval tumour and had it surgically removed, and came home from the op perfectly well. 3 weeks later her appetite dropped right off (several times she would approach her food but walk away again) and she became very lethargic, for last 4 weeks of her life she spent most of her time lying in the same spot in my spare bedroom or in my wardrobe, i put her on my bed at night. she had an ultrasound done and she had enlarged lymph nodes in her stomach and fluid in her stomach,the specialist did an aspiration from the back of the abdomen and
she had secondary cancer . the vet gave her injection of convenial but did not encourage her appetite so so exactly 8 weeks after being diagnosed with the tumour i had her put to sleep as i didn't want her to suffer any more. i can't find out very much about feline vulval tumours i would like to know are they always fatal and is it true it is very rare?

Thank You
Lisa

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that your cat passed away. It sounds like you did everything you could for her.

It is true that vulvar tumors are very rare in cats. I have been practicing for 12 years and I don't remember ever seeing one.

I did some research for you and did find a few cases of vulvar tumors. It looks like there are two types of cancer that can be seen on the vulva of a cat. The first type is a vulvar adenoma. These tumors are benign and can often be cured with surgery.

The second kind is a vulvar adenocarcinoma. These are much more serious. They spread to other organs or lymph nodes and are almost always fatal. It sounds like this is the type that your girl had.

It sounds like you did everything you could for her. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (9814 views)

Sick after having puppies. My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog... (11540 views)

Should we put down out cat? Good evening. My 15 year old tabby seems to be in rough shape. He is still... (4919 views)

Hamster has crusty eye. my hamster is 2 years old and a week ago i noticed his right eye has crusted over i... (8270 views)

Roundworms and hookworms. How often do you find roundworms /hookworms in dogs is it rare of fairly... (4044 views)

Hungry and losing weight. hi our cat is scrounging for food 24hrs a day even if he has just eaten. we dont... (6866 views)

Coughing cat. My cat has had a horrible cough for two or three months and the vet doesn't know... (4290 views)

Metronidazole side effects? My Dog had a surgery Dec 9. The Doctor removed a tumor from his small intestine. He... (14800 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (4992 views)

White spot on dog's nose. sadie has a white spot below her nose right in the middle of the muzzle i can't tell... (32929 views)