Vuvlar tumor in a cat.

Breed: russian blue

2 weeks ago i had my russian blue sterilised cat (elderly not sure how old as she came to me as a stray but she was at least 15) put to sleep, 8 weeks before she was diagnosed with a vulval tumour and had it surgically removed, and came home from the op perfectly well. 3 weeks later her appetite dropped right off (several times she would approach her food but walk away again) and she became very lethargic, for last 4 weeks of her life she spent most of her time lying in the same spot in my spare bedroom or in my wardrobe, i put her on my bed at night. she had an ultrasound done and she had enlarged lymph nodes in her stomach and fluid in her stomach,the specialist did an aspiration from the back of the abdomen and
she had secondary cancer . the vet gave her injection of convenial but did not encourage her appetite so so exactly 8 weeks after being diagnosed with the tumour i had her put to sleep as i didn't want her to suffer any more. i can't find out very much about feline vulval tumours i would like to know are they always fatal and is it true it is very rare?

Thank You
Lisa

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that your cat passed away. It sounds like you did everything you could for her.

It is true that vulvar tumors are very rare in cats. I have been practicing for 12 years and I don't remember ever seeing one.

I did some research for you and did find a few cases of vulvar tumors. It looks like there are two types of cancer that can be seen on the vulva of a cat. The first type is a vulvar adenoma. These tumors are benign and can often be cured with surgery.

The second kind is a vulvar adenocarcinoma. These are much more serious. They spread to other organs or lymph nodes and are almost always fatal. It sounds like this is the type that your girl had.

It sounds like you did everything you could for her. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (10276 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (16547 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (11344 views)

Tumor on a guinea pig. Hi Marie, My daughter's 14 month old guinea pig has a tumor with a thick, scaly... (13764 views)

Skin infection is back. Hello Doctor, My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as... (8573 views)

Male cat nipple problem. My male desexed cat has always had a enlarged nipple. It seems to be getting larger... (19359 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome hi i had my cat spayed a year ago and she went back into heat (full blown moaning... (17289 views)

Kitten is bleeding from vagina. since ive got my kitten she has been crying alot, ive noticed her bleeding aswell... (14837 views)

Pregnant cat is vomiting. My cat got out and didn't come home for about a month. When she got out she was in... (19326 views)

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (36994 views)