Vuvlar tumor in a cat.

Breed: russian blue

2 weeks ago i had my russian blue sterilised cat (elderly not sure how old as she came to me as a stray but she was at least 15) put to sleep, 8 weeks before she was diagnosed with a vulval tumour and had it surgically removed, and came home from the op perfectly well. 3 weeks later her appetite dropped right off (several times she would approach her food but walk away again) and she became very lethargic, for last 4 weeks of her life she spent most of her time lying in the same spot in my spare bedroom or in my wardrobe, i put her on my bed at night. she had an ultrasound done and she had enlarged lymph nodes in her stomach and fluid in her stomach,the specialist did an aspiration from the back of the abdomen and
she had secondary cancer . the vet gave her injection of convenial but did not encourage her appetite so so exactly 8 weeks after being diagnosed with the tumour i had her put to sleep as i didn't want her to suffer any more. i can't find out very much about feline vulval tumours i would like to know are they always fatal and is it true it is very rare?

Thank You
Lisa

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that your cat passed away. It sounds like you did everything you could for her.

It is true that vulvar tumors are very rare in cats. I have been practicing for 12 years and I don't remember ever seeing one.

I did some research for you and did find a few cases of vulvar tumors. It looks like there are two types of cancer that can be seen on the vulva of a cat. The first type is a vulvar adenoma. These tumors are benign and can often be cured with surgery.

The second kind is a vulvar adenocarcinoma. These are much more serious. They spread to other organs or lymph nodes and are almost always fatal. It sounds like this is the type that your girl had.

It sounds like you did everything you could for her. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Swollen feet in older cat. My 13 year old female cat has had several odd problems for about 2 months. I have... (17462 views)

Itchy dog. This is a follow on of a question past #2740. Choo Choo's itch has continued all... (6634 views)

Perianal fistula Dear Dr Marie, My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils... (21569 views)

Blood in urine My male cat has red staining to his urine, he isn't acting any different but is... (5677 views)

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (69093 views)

Cat losing weight Hello, I took my 15 year old neutered cat to the vet the other day because he was... (12590 views)

Cat sick after prednisone. Two weeks ago LittleMan had something like an infection in the corners of his mouth... (19208 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (15130 views)

How to remove stitches Hi Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life. Ok we... (24398 views)

Megaesophagus in a puppy. I have a 7 week old lab/pit mix puppy who has been throwing up her food since we got... (8345 views)