Vuvlar tumor in a cat.

Breed: russian blue

2 weeks ago i had my russian blue sterilised cat (elderly not sure how old as she came to me as a stray but she was at least 15) put to sleep, 8 weeks before she was diagnosed with a vulval tumour and had it surgically removed, and came home from the op perfectly well. 3 weeks later her appetite dropped right off (several times she would approach her food but walk away again) and she became very lethargic, for last 4 weeks of her life she spent most of her time lying in the same spot in my spare bedroom or in my wardrobe, i put her on my bed at night. she had an ultrasound done and she had enlarged lymph nodes in her stomach and fluid in her stomach,the specialist did an aspiration from the back of the abdomen and
she had secondary cancer . the vet gave her injection of convenial but did not encourage her appetite so so exactly 8 weeks after being diagnosed with the tumour i had her put to sleep as i didn't want her to suffer any more. i can't find out very much about feline vulval tumours i would like to know are they always fatal and is it true it is very rare?

Thank You
Lisa

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that your cat passed away. It sounds like you did everything you could for her.

It is true that vulvar tumors are very rare in cats. I have been practicing for 12 years and I don't remember ever seeing one.

I did some research for you and did find a few cases of vulvar tumors. It looks like there are two types of cancer that can be seen on the vulva of a cat. The first type is a vulvar adenoma. These tumors are benign and can often be cured with surgery.

The second kind is a vulvar adenocarcinoma. These are much more serious. They spread to other organs or lymph nodes and are almost always fatal. It sounds like this is the type that your girl had.

It sounds like you did everything you could for her. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Puppy vaccinations. I have a new puppy. I was given his vaccination record (number of... (4694 views)

No bowel movements after parvo. I have a seven month old poodle mix puppy with parvovirus. He was a puppy someone... (23705 views)

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (26818 views)

Good appetite in blind deaf cat. my cat is over 15 years old she is partially blind and deaf she misses her litterbox... (7671 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (11196 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (25799 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (10290 views)

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (26726 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (27632 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (24854 views)