Vuvlar tumor in a cat.

Breed: russian blue

2 weeks ago i had my russian blue sterilised cat (elderly not sure how old as she came to me as a stray but she was at least 15) put to sleep, 8 weeks before she was diagnosed with a vulval tumour and had it surgically removed, and came home from the op perfectly well. 3 weeks later her appetite dropped right off (several times she would approach her food but walk away again) and she became very lethargic, for last 4 weeks of her life she spent most of her time lying in the same spot in my spare bedroom or in my wardrobe, i put her on my bed at night. she had an ultrasound done and she had enlarged lymph nodes in her stomach and fluid in her stomach,the specialist did an aspiration from the back of the abdomen and
she had secondary cancer . the vet gave her injection of convenial but did not encourage her appetite so so exactly 8 weeks after being diagnosed with the tumour i had her put to sleep as i didn't want her to suffer any more. i can't find out very much about feline vulval tumours i would like to know are they always fatal and is it true it is very rare?

Thank You
Lisa

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that your cat passed away. It sounds like you did everything you could for her.

It is true that vulvar tumors are very rare in cats. I have been practicing for 12 years and I don't remember ever seeing one.

I did some research for you and did find a few cases of vulvar tumors. It looks like there are two types of cancer that can be seen on the vulva of a cat. The first type is a vulvar adenoma. These tumors are benign and can often be cured with surgery.

The second kind is a vulvar adenocarcinoma. These are much more serious. They spread to other organs or lymph nodes and are almost always fatal. It sounds like this is the type that your girl had.

It sounds like you did everything you could for her. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Frequent urination in puppy. Dr. Marie, We have a brand new 7 week old bullmastiff female, named June...I have... (25814 views)

Cat abscess not healing. About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the... (11679 views)

Is my dog pregnant? We think my dog is pregnant.She keeps trying to make little areas for herself and... (4951 views)

Wobbly after ear cleaning. Hi, The last two times Tigger has been to the vet, they noted that she had a mass... (18337 views)

Foot got caught in door. As my 10 lb chiwawa was going back in the house this morning and I was opening the... (20324 views)

Not eating losing weight. Age: 13 months Weight: 8 1/2 pounds He was 9 pounds, but lost half a pound in May.... (4856 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia? Hello Dr Marie, I recently found an abandoned feral kitten in the street who was... (9316 views)

PNST in a dog. My Jack Russell (8 years old) was just diagnosed with a PNST. Which was discovered... (12537 views)

Great Dane footpad problems. I am employeed as a dog walker and recently began visiting a young Great Dane. Her... (11996 views)

Lump on kitten's chest. Hi I have a kitten and he has developped a very hard lump on his chest, its on... (23702 views)