Coughing and not eating.

Breed: DSH
I recently adopted Bell (female) and Sid (6 month old male from a local animal shelter. Both were seen last week by the vet the shelter uses. They were both fixed and had received their vaccines. They were both treated for ear mites with Sid being treated for tapeworms as well. Bell has recently started coughing as is she has a hairball but nothing comes of it. I have also noticed that she is sleeping more and eating less than when I first got them a week today. They do have an appointment with our vet Friday but I am not sure if I am just being silly or if I should take her in sooner. I don't want anything to happen to her. We just lost our other 2 cats (one due to old age and the other to we think coyotes). I have read that it can be any number of things. Should I take her in sooner or is it allergies possibly?

First of all, congrats on your new family members!

There are a few reasons for cats to cough. I'll describe a few of the reasons and then I'll hopefully help you decide whether Bell needs to be seen sooner than Friday.

My first thought was that this is connected to the recent spay. If she was spayed within the last week or so then she could be coughing because of some slight irritation from the tube that is put in her airway to help her breathe under anesthetic. If that's the cause then there is not much that can be done other than wait. It should resolve itself in a few more days if this is the case.

Some cats can cough because of asthma. This is pretty uncommon in a cat so young though.

There are viruses that can make cats cough. Most kittens with upper respiratory viruses will do more sneezing than coughing but it still is possible. A virus could also explain the decreased appetite.

At this point the vet is not likely to do a whole lot unless the kitten is very unwell. If this is a virus then we don't really do much unless there is an obvious bacterial infection along with the virus.

Here are some criteria that would make me want to see the kitten(s) sooner:

-If there is a yellow or green discharge from the nose or eyes.
-If the appetite is greatly reduced (i.e. not eating at for a whole days or only eating a tiny tiny amount)
-If you feel that Bell is really uncomfortable
-If your gut is just telling you that something is really wrong.

Otherwise I'd keep an eye on her and still see the vet on Friday.

I hope that helps. Hopefully she does well!

Her eyes are alittle teary but no discharge from either her nose or eyes and she seems fine as far as being comfortable but she has been sleeping more which as a kitten I thought she would be more active. I am not sure about her eating today since I went back to work (work at a school) but when I have been home, I haven't seen her eat as much as when she first got here a week ago. Now that I think about it I think her coughing did start around the time she was spayed. I will keep an eye on her and if she gets worse take her in sooner. Thank you so much for your help. I am just a little paranoid since lossing my other two cats recently.

So sorry for the delay Michele. It sounds like your plan is a good one. Let me know if you have more concerns!

Vomiting and diarrhea. Is my dog dying? My dog vomitted yesterday, then she had a very loose stool in my kitchen. She never... (31723 views)

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (10446 views)

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (37887 views)

Senior cat losing weight. Hello, My cat is 11 or 12 years old (he was a rescue kitty I inherited, so I'm... (5138 views)

Terbutaline and atenolol. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m interested in your thoughts on what may have caused my cat’s... (13325 views)

Dog's stool a little loose. Dr Marie, Examining that bump around Max's nipples it appears to be less solid.... (4292 views)

Bengal leg weakness. Rebel has had some undiagnosed rear end lameness and weakness intermitantly since... (8329 views)

Cat vomits after eating wet food. My cat has been doing this strange thing, but only after she eats wet food. It... (11338 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (13586 views)

Bumps over dog's body. My pug is having dry bumps on his body.. It's not paining him but yeah it's bit... (7789 views)