Paying for megacolon surgery.

Breed: snowfoot siamese
hello my cat has mega-colon my question is do you know of any place that might be able to help him he is as smart as any cat can be i do not have the money to pay my rent much less surgery. but he deserves so much more even if i have to give him away at least he will live a better life then i can give him ill be fine. Armond has already been back in forth to the vet on Lactulose and Cisapride we give him enemas and a high fiber moist diet but to no avail. If you know anything that can help please. thank you

Oh, I am sorry to hear this. Megacolon is one of my least favorite conditions to treat. While some cats do well with the repeated medications and special foods, a good number of cats end up completely losing the ability to move food along.

Unfortunately when this happens we are left with two unpleasant choices - an expensive surgery, or euthanasia.

I can tell you that I have treated several cats that got to this point and have not had many where the owners were able or willing to pay for surgery. However, if you can have surgery done the majority of cats do extremely well.

You may want to try some of the resources listed here to see if you can get some help:

http://askavetquestion.com/blog/need-help-paying-for-veterinary-bills/

Two other great companies that help people with payment plans are:

http://www.carecredit.com
http://www.medicard.com

I really hope Armond does ok!

Discolored fur around mouth. I have a Westie , 4 years old , the fur around his mouth has become redish pink... (13321 views)

What foods to give cats? Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum... (8515 views)

Kidney disease in a cat. First of all I am asking you because I am under extreme financial constraints right... (27297 views)

Swollen foot and death in a dog. I am seeking for an answer what could be the reason my dog can hardly breathe and... (20000 views)

Boxer collapsed. Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We... (12506 views)

Cat died. Dear Doctor Haynes, I started looking after a stray young tomcat (who I presume... (7676 views)

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (20853 views)

Dog bitten by another dog my dog got bit by a boxer dog on the front leg what shall i... (13527 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (10533 views)

Licking feet. My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them... (10571 views)