Paying for megacolon surgery.

Breed: snowfoot siamese
hello my cat has mega-colon my question is do you know of any place that might be able to help him he is as smart as any cat can be i do not have the money to pay my rent much less surgery. but he deserves so much more even if i have to give him away at least he will live a better life then i can give him ill be fine. Armond has already been back in forth to the vet on Lactulose and Cisapride we give him enemas and a high fiber moist diet but to no avail. If you know anything that can help please. thank you

Oh, I am sorry to hear this. Megacolon is one of my least favorite conditions to treat. While some cats do well with the repeated medications and special foods, a good number of cats end up completely losing the ability to move food along.

Unfortunately when this happens we are left with two unpleasant choices - an expensive surgery, or euthanasia.

I can tell you that I have treated several cats that got to this point and have not had many where the owners were able or willing to pay for surgery. However, if you can have surgery done the majority of cats do extremely well.

You may want to try some of the resources listed here to see if you can get some help:

http://askavetquestion.com/blog/need-help-paying-for-veterinary-bills/

Two other great companies that help people with payment plans are:

http://www.carecredit.com
http://www.medicard.com

I really hope Armond does ok!

Severe skin problems. My dog Leila started licking on 8/1/12. Her spots looked like hot spots on elbows... (8980 views)

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (12708 views)

Frontline and capstar but still has fleas. My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea... (23019 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (39825 views)

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (7580 views)

Red gums next to baby teeth. Hi Dr, This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded... (15042 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (17896 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (7807 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (8220 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (15285 views)