Repair hernia now?

Breed: Pitbull
My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows no pain from it and it's soft to touch. Should I get it fixed right away or should I wait until I get her spayed?

It's pretty rare that I recommend repairing an umbilical hernia earlier than when a dog is spayed. The only ones that I have done early are ones where the hernia is HUGE (like big enough to put your fist into).

In theory, it is possible for intestines to pop out into the hernia. These intestines can be susceptible to injury if the dog was to say scrape herself on her belly. But, it would have to be a very significant injury in a very exact location in order for this to happen.

Your vet is the best person to ask about whether or not Kahlua's hernia is serious enough to require reapir now, but from what you have described it is probably perfectly safe to wait until she is spayed. The exception would be if it is getting much larger, or if it is ever red and painful for her. If that happens she needs to be seen right away.

For most animals I recommend a spay at 5-6 months of age. If an animal has a hernia that is getting larger I will sometimes do the spay at 4 months so that we can get the hernia fixed sooner.

That was very helpful! Thank you!

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (9894 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (7557 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (8075 views)

Antibiotics for anal glands? Hi I have written before about our unique living situation. We are expats with... (5911 views)

Liver infections in cat. My 13 year old cat has had at least 3 serious, life threatening liver infections... (6466 views)

Trifexis overdose. My approx 4-5lb teacup Pomeranian ate HALF of the Trifexis meant for a 60-120lb dog... (4322 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (16560 views)

Wobbly cavalier during pregnancy. Hi, we have a female 3 year old cavalier king charles spaniel. she is 5 weeks... (8983 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (22778 views)

Hind end paralysis. I put my beautiful, loyal companion to sleep on Christmas day. The guilt is... (6853 views)