Cancer or hairball?

Breed: Domestic calico shor
Mama Kitty has a lower abdomen mass. She is 5 lbs. The vet suspects cancer, although blood levels are normal. She excessively grooms her son, a 20lbs black Long haired cat who sheds like crazy.

When I asked the vet about the possibility of it being a giant. Hairball she was condescendingly doubtful. ("I see.. You read about thricobezor, so now you think she has that. She is old and we should have a plan in place for her departure. Would you like the cremation option?"

Kitty is alert, playful, very hungry, but doesn't seem to absorb nutrients. She throws up foam and drops bowl movements, now and then.

She used to vomit hair balls (black long hair, Baby's, i think) about once a week but doesn't do that or groom him anymore.

I wonder if my vet is afraid of performing exploratory surgery on my 14 yr old cat.

Any input is appreciated, as I watched you perform surgery on a cat abdominal obstruction on youtube.

We also have the ability to fly for free. Could be another youtube video?

I'll email photos subject Kitty n Baby

Warm Regards,
Mama Kitty, Baby & Mindy

Aw, I'm sorry to hear about Mama Kitty. I really don't like it when I feel an abdominal mass in any cat, and more so in an older cat.

I have had one time in my career where a cat had a hairball that I was able to feel in the abdomen. This one was very large - about 5 inches in diameter. However, it was quite obvious to me that I was feeling the stomach which is very high up just behind the rib cage. I suppose if this was the area that your vet was feeling the mass in then surgery is an option BUT, I would think that the chances of this being a hairball are very small. When cats get a hairball that is large enough to be palpated, it means that there is an underlying issue. In my case the cat had severe inflammatory bowel disease.

Now I have felt a large number of abdominal masses and I can tell you that every single time I felt one in an older cat it was very bad news. I'm so sorry to have to say that. They almost always mean either an intestinal cancer, pancreatic cancer, kidney cancer or something similar.

It's not wrong to have someone do an exploratory surgery. But, I think that the chances of finding something that is fixable are very small.

Thank you for the offer to come and see me. :) I am on maternity leave now and not currently working. But even still, if you do want to have surgery done it is really something that a local vet should be able to do.

I wish I had better news for you.

Thank you! I decided to take Kitty to an internest who did a sonogram. It was taking hours because she was amazed that she couldn't "find cancer", so she kept looking and looking.
She believes the "mass" is probably bowel movement; constipation.

Her diagnosis was severe IBD -- just as you mentioned was a slight possibility. She explained that just because she couldn't find cancer doesn't mean it's not there and also that there's a sort of concurrent diseases between IBD, lymphoma and...something else.

She prescribed prednisone for inflammation and reglan for nausea. She said she could think of 10 million reasons not to try any exploratory surgery and very few in favor of anything invasive.

Kitty seems much more comfortable: eating, pooping normally and playing.

I appreciate your response, as it was on target and very helpful! Congratulations on your *little *miracle* -- I feel like Kitty and I have one too, a little more time together.

Warm Regards,
Mindy

Well how about that! You know, I believe I have had a similar case where I thought I could feel a mass and it ended up being stool. I think I had assumed when you first asked your question that an xray was taken. Stool will turn up really well and is quite obvious on an xray.

I hope Kitty continues to do well!

Wheezing, sneezing kitten. my kitten is 3 and a half months old recently she has been sleeping a whole lot and... (11703 views)

Pink bumps on dog. My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a... (34217 views)

Enlarged lymph nodes on chemo. My furry child was recently diagnosed Lymphoma, cells suggestive of T-cell. I do... (12928 views)

Rottweiler urinating frequently. my dog has getting let out all the time and and and recently she has been weeing... (8003 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (10026 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (5448 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (10225 views)

Dog has the runs. my dog has the... (17657 views)

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (19615 views)

Dog ate absorbent chicken pad. My dog just ate one of those absorbent pads from a chicken meat tray......would this... (73610 views)