Sore neck

Breed: Chinese Crested Powd

You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another question. Jack just turned 11, he's very healthy and had a vet checkup about 3 weeks ago and got a clean bill of health.

However, last night he seemed very lethargic and I thought I saw him limping outisde. When I picked him up before bed, he briefly wimpered.

This morning he was sleeping on the couch and when I came over to greet him, I moved him and he wimpered. So I started testing things out. Straightening out his legs, massaging his back, etc. trying to find what was bothering him. When I moved his head to the right, he wimpered again as if something was hurting his neck.

However, he went outside then came in to eat and was jumping up and down for treats and had a huge burst of energy so I left for work.

He takes tick and heartworm meds every month so I'm not sure that it could be Lyme disease. But could he have gotten a bite or a bruise or a bee sting? Hmmm....

Thank you!

I'm sorry to hear that Jack may be not feeling well. This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine Jack.

It certainly is possible that Jack has some neck pain. Lyme disease would not be the most likely cause of this in my opinion though. It's more likely to be some type of a muscle strain. A sore neck can definitely cause limping as well in a front leg.

Sometimes neck problems can be more severe than just muscular and can be fairly serious. If he is still sore after 24 hours, or if you feel like it is getting significantly worse then I would have your vet take a look. They can make sure there are no neurological symptoms. In other words they want to make sure that Jack's spinal cord is ok. If they do feel that it is just a muscular issue with his neck then they can give you anti-inflammatory medication that really should help.

I hope the little guy is feeling better soon!

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (13348 views)

Does fampridine help with spinal cord trauma? Has there been any success, or even attempt, at treating paralysis in cats using... (10947 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (8956 views)

Dog eats grapes. Hi. I live in rural Peru and have three dogs. I am writing regarding the oldest who... (5030 views)

Urinating in house. Bella has started urinating in places other than her litter box. She has not been... (4165 views)

Gabapentin and Metacam My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it... (9351 views)

Flea problems. My dog Roxie has had a flea dip and has had her last months flea treatment, but she... (8151 views)

Is pinkeye contagious to pets? My husband just contracted pink eye. Is it possible for him to spread it to our dog... (27337 views)

Biopsy? Dr, As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools. 9... (7425 views)

Dog's face is swollen. my dog's face is swollen, her muzzle is swollen on both sides and very firm/hard... (126940 views)