Sore neck

Breed: Chinese Crested Powd

You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another question. Jack just turned 11, he's very healthy and had a vet checkup about 3 weeks ago and got a clean bill of health.

However, last night he seemed very lethargic and I thought I saw him limping outisde. When I picked him up before bed, he briefly wimpered.

This morning he was sleeping on the couch and when I came over to greet him, I moved him and he wimpered. So I started testing things out. Straightening out his legs, massaging his back, etc. trying to find what was bothering him. When I moved his head to the right, he wimpered again as if something was hurting his neck.

However, he went outside then came in to eat and was jumping up and down for treats and had a huge burst of energy so I left for work.

He takes tick and heartworm meds every month so I'm not sure that it could be Lyme disease. But could he have gotten a bite or a bruise or a bee sting? Hmmm....

Thank you!

I'm sorry to hear that Jack may be not feeling well. This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine Jack.

It certainly is possible that Jack has some neck pain. Lyme disease would not be the most likely cause of this in my opinion though. It's more likely to be some type of a muscle strain. A sore neck can definitely cause limping as well in a front leg.

Sometimes neck problems can be more severe than just muscular and can be fairly serious. If he is still sore after 24 hours, or if you feel like it is getting significantly worse then I would have your vet take a look. They can make sure there are no neurological symptoms. In other words they want to make sure that Jack's spinal cord is ok. If they do feel that it is just a muscular issue with his neck then they can give you anti-inflammatory medication that really should help.

I hope the little guy is feeling better soon!

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (12670 views)

Mycoplasma in rats. Hi, my name is Ann and I have two rats, Pinky and Roc. Unfortunately, one has... (10848 views)

Frontline and bathing. Hi Dr. Marie, I applied Frontline Plus to my puppy the same day that he had a... (25282 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (6823 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (8235 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (6189 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (9475 views)

Skinny 19 year old cat. Hi my cat is 19 years old! He is a little skinny but perfectly healthy! I also have... (11277 views)

My dog is pooping blood. What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was... (679041 views)

Feeding chicken liver to dogs. I feed Petey a high quality dry dog food in the morning, but I enjoy cooking his... (67166 views)