Sore neck

Breed: Chinese Crested Powd

You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another question. Jack just turned 11, he's very healthy and had a vet checkup about 3 weeks ago and got a clean bill of health.

However, last night he seemed very lethargic and I thought I saw him limping outisde. When I picked him up before bed, he briefly wimpered.

This morning he was sleeping on the couch and when I came over to greet him, I moved him and he wimpered. So I started testing things out. Straightening out his legs, massaging his back, etc. trying to find what was bothering him. When I moved his head to the right, he wimpered again as if something was hurting his neck.

However, he went outside then came in to eat and was jumping up and down for treats and had a huge burst of energy so I left for work.

He takes tick and heartworm meds every month so I'm not sure that it could be Lyme disease. But could he have gotten a bite or a bruise or a bee sting? Hmmm....

Thank you!

I'm sorry to hear that Jack may be not feeling well. This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine Jack.

It certainly is possible that Jack has some neck pain. Lyme disease would not be the most likely cause of this in my opinion though. It's more likely to be some type of a muscle strain. A sore neck can definitely cause limping as well in a front leg.

Sometimes neck problems can be more severe than just muscular and can be fairly serious. If he is still sore after 24 hours, or if you feel like it is getting significantly worse then I would have your vet take a look. They can make sure there are no neurological symptoms. In other words they want to make sure that Jack's spinal cord is ok. If they do feel that it is just a muscular issue with his neck then they can give you anti-inflammatory medication that really should help.

I hope the little guy is feeling better soon!

Can't move back legs. My cat could not get up using its back legs. Her front legs were working but she... (30191 views)

Should I get an ultrasound? Dear Dr. Marie, My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole... (8813 views)

Cat not eating. About 2 Weeks ago I took Emma to the Vet because pretty much overnight her Appetite... (9963 views)

Dog bitten by another dog my dog got bit by a boxer dog on the front leg what shall i... (12018 views)

Dog bite wound. Hello, My dog got bit by a Pit bull on Saturday 9/1. I was not able to take him to... (11451 views)

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (13742 views)

Puppy throwing up 3 days. My kids brought home a new puppy I have no money she has been here for 2 weeks I... (7775 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (6940 views)

Lung problem in dog. Our cuddly Walter had "kennel cough" several times throughout his life (about 5),... (5992 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (50650 views)