Sore neck

Breed: Chinese Crested Powd

You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another question. Jack just turned 11, he's very healthy and had a vet checkup about 3 weeks ago and got a clean bill of health.

However, last night he seemed very lethargic and I thought I saw him limping outisde. When I picked him up before bed, he briefly wimpered.

This morning he was sleeping on the couch and when I came over to greet him, I moved him and he wimpered. So I started testing things out. Straightening out his legs, massaging his back, etc. trying to find what was bothering him. When I moved his head to the right, he wimpered again as if something was hurting his neck.

However, he went outside then came in to eat and was jumping up and down for treats and had a huge burst of energy so I left for work.

He takes tick and heartworm meds every month so I'm not sure that it could be Lyme disease. But could he have gotten a bite or a bruise or a bee sting? Hmmm....

Thank you!

I'm sorry to hear that Jack may be not feeling well. This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine Jack.

It certainly is possible that Jack has some neck pain. Lyme disease would not be the most likely cause of this in my opinion though. It's more likely to be some type of a muscle strain. A sore neck can definitely cause limping as well in a front leg.

Sometimes neck problems can be more severe than just muscular and can be fairly serious. If he is still sore after 24 hours, or if you feel like it is getting significantly worse then I would have your vet take a look. They can make sure there are no neurological symptoms. In other words they want to make sure that Jack's spinal cord is ok. If they do feel that it is just a muscular issue with his neck then they can give you anti-inflammatory medication that really should help.

I hope the little guy is feeling better soon!

Puppy vaccinations. I have a new puppy. I was given his vaccination record (number of... (4011 views)

Cat's stomach making noises My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This... (172977 views)

Dog has lost her voice. What could cause this? It's come on gradually for about 3 months. When she tries to... (13032 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog, Ace, passed away on Thursday, July 5th. We live in the midwest and had been... (10302 views)

Vomiting after allergy injection My sister took my dog to the vet yesterday where she recieved a shot to stop itching... (13173 views)

Dog snaps when head touched. Dear Dr. Marie, Our 7 year old bichon frise has started new concerning behavior.... (5767 views)

Possible elbow hygroma. I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini... (24137 views)

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (13211 views)

Peptobismol use in cats I gave pepto bismol to my cat will it be... (19689 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (9507 views)