Is this a flea problem?

Breed: mix
My small 3 year old in door cat very recently survived a bout with flea anemia. We took care of the flea problem in the house, had him washed, dipped, and then treated with Sentry Purrscriptions Plus squeeze on flea protection. He now spends 24/7 in our bathroom on the ironing board. He will come up to eat and use the box. He is very alert and talkative when we pick him up or go in the room. I think the bathroom thing is because it was the only place with out carpet and he is up high from the ground, but I have now notice an excessive amount of shedded hair and black and white sandy stuff all over the ironing board...is this dander and just a summer shedding or could it be a skin condition possibly from the flea infestation? Is there something I can do for him?

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Hi and thanks for your question. Fleas can certainly be frustrating to deal with!

What you are describing may indeed be still due to fleas. The "white sandy stuff" could be flea eggs. Of course, dander is possible as well, but a normal healthy cat should not suddenly be leaving dander like this.

I'd like you to do a little test for me. Get a paper towel and put it underneath Louie. Then, vigorously rub the fur on his back just in front of his tail. Collect anything that falls off of him on the paper towel. Are there any black flecks on the towel? If so, put a few drops of water on them and see if you can smear them. If they smear and make a rusty color then this is flea dirt.

The flea product that you used (Sargents Sentry Purrscriptions Plus) is really not a great flea product. Unfortunately most products that you can buy in the pet store don't work 100%. I would highly advise getting a perscription product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline from your vet and then using this product monthly for at least 3 months.

It is also possible that there is something else going on. Do you know if he has completely recovered from the anemia? If a cat is not feeling well we will often see that the coat is not as healthy and there will be more shedding and dander. So, if you don't see any flea dirt then I would suggest another vet visit to have your vet make sure that he is ok.

I hope everything works out for you!

I will be heading offline now, but if you have more concerns let me know and I will reply in the morning.

Ovarian remnant syndrome hi i had my cat spayed a year ago and she went back into heat (full blown moaning... (16761 views)

Sick pregnant cat. hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted... (8615 views)

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (8091 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (10702 views)

Time for euthanasia. Mr. Magoo is 14 1/2 years old. He has Cushings disease (not being treated) and... (4957 views)

Are chicken feces toxic? I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do... (87253 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (62640 views)

Diarrhea and increased appetite. We found a cat that we have decided to keep. We have had all his shots, Neutered and... (5105 views)

Back leg shaking. My aging Pit bull terrier's back leg shakes like he has Parkinson's disease. Back... (8233 views)

Small pink lump on back. My dog has had a small light pink lump on his back for a little while now. I have... (11438 views)