Is this a flea problem?

Breed: mix
My small 3 year old in door cat very recently survived a bout with flea anemia. We took care of the flea problem in the house, had him washed, dipped, and then treated with Sentry Purrscriptions Plus squeeze on flea protection. He now spends 24/7 in our bathroom on the ironing board. He will come up to eat and use the box. He is very alert and talkative when we pick him up or go in the room. I think the bathroom thing is because it was the only place with out carpet and he is up high from the ground, but I have now notice an excessive amount of shedded hair and black and white sandy stuff all over the ironing board...is this dander and just a summer shedding or could it be a skin condition possibly from the flea infestation? Is there something I can do for him?

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Hi and thanks for your question. Fleas can certainly be frustrating to deal with!

What you are describing may indeed be still due to fleas. The "white sandy stuff" could be flea eggs. Of course, dander is possible as well, but a normal healthy cat should not suddenly be leaving dander like this.

I'd like you to do a little test for me. Get a paper towel and put it underneath Louie. Then, vigorously rub the fur on his back just in front of his tail. Collect anything that falls off of him on the paper towel. Are there any black flecks on the towel? If so, put a few drops of water on them and see if you can smear them. If they smear and make a rusty color then this is flea dirt.

The flea product that you used (Sargents Sentry Purrscriptions Plus) is really not a great flea product. Unfortunately most products that you can buy in the pet store don't work 100%. I would highly advise getting a perscription product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline from your vet and then using this product monthly for at least 3 months.

It is also possible that there is something else going on. Do you know if he has completely recovered from the anemia? If a cat is not feeling well we will often see that the coat is not as healthy and there will be more shedding and dander. So, if you don't see any flea dirt then I would suggest another vet visit to have your vet make sure that he is ok.

I hope everything works out for you!

I will be heading offline now, but if you have more concerns let me know and I will reply in the morning.

Won't eat dog food. Inherited my Mom's 4 year old terrier mix - 14 to 15 pounds - who has always eaten... (7815 views)

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (29938 views)

White blisters in cat's ears. My cat has a number of small white "blisters" on her ears. She repeatedly scratches... (9052 views)

Cat is dying. I took in a stray that was living in a garage since his was little for years and was... (11831 views)

Pitbull is itchy. I have a 4 year old pitbull/lab mix that has been scratching and biting at herself.... (51743 views)

Dog looks depressed. Hello, Dr. My dog is pretty active but he usually looks "depressed" out of the... (9280 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (23942 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (8688 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (8466 views)

Skin lesion on gerbil. can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation... (7726 views)