Is this a flea problem?

Breed: mix
My small 3 year old in door cat very recently survived a bout with flea anemia. We took care of the flea problem in the house, had him washed, dipped, and then treated with Sentry Purrscriptions Plus squeeze on flea protection. He now spends 24/7 in our bathroom on the ironing board. He will come up to eat and use the box. He is very alert and talkative when we pick him up or go in the room. I think the bathroom thing is because it was the only place with out carpet and he is up high from the ground, but I have now notice an excessive amount of shedded hair and black and white sandy stuff all over the ironing board...is this dander and just a summer shedding or could it be a skin condition possibly from the flea infestation? Is there something I can do for him?

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Hi and thanks for your question. Fleas can certainly be frustrating to deal with!

What you are describing may indeed be still due to fleas. The "white sandy stuff" could be flea eggs. Of course, dander is possible as well, but a normal healthy cat should not suddenly be leaving dander like this.

I'd like you to do a little test for me. Get a paper towel and put it underneath Louie. Then, vigorously rub the fur on his back just in front of his tail. Collect anything that falls off of him on the paper towel. Are there any black flecks on the towel? If so, put a few drops of water on them and see if you can smear them. If they smear and make a rusty color then this is flea dirt.

The flea product that you used (Sargents Sentry Purrscriptions Plus) is really not a great flea product. Unfortunately most products that you can buy in the pet store don't work 100%. I would highly advise getting a perscription product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline from your vet and then using this product monthly for at least 3 months.

It is also possible that there is something else going on. Do you know if he has completely recovered from the anemia? If a cat is not feeling well we will often see that the coat is not as healthy and there will be more shedding and dander. So, if you don't see any flea dirt then I would suggest another vet visit to have your vet make sure that he is ok.

I hope everything works out for you!

I will be heading offline now, but if you have more concerns let me know and I will reply in the morning.

Aggressive cats when in heat. i have 2 cats cocoa & honey & honey jus had kittens but before honey had her kittens... (8533 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (6187 views)

Not eating, blood tests normal. Hello, Dr. Marie. I'm actually asking this question for my parents about their cat,... (19120 views)

Possible degnerative myelopathy. My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc... (7986 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (15649 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (19179 views)

cat with bald belly Dr Marie, My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is... (10310 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (14455 views)

Brain tumor or epilepsy? Hi Dr. Marie I have a yellow lab named Sam He experienced seizures twice... (10713 views)

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (10418 views)