Is this a flea problem?

Breed: mix
My small 3 year old in door cat very recently survived a bout with flea anemia. We took care of the flea problem in the house, had him washed, dipped, and then treated with Sentry Purrscriptions Plus squeeze on flea protection. He now spends 24/7 in our bathroom on the ironing board. He will come up to eat and use the box. He is very alert and talkative when we pick him up or go in the room. I think the bathroom thing is because it was the only place with out carpet and he is up high from the ground, but I have now notice an excessive amount of shedded hair and black and white sandy stuff all over the ironing board...is this dander and just a summer shedding or could it be a skin condition possibly from the flea infestation? Is there something I can do for him?

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Hi and thanks for your question. Fleas can certainly be frustrating to deal with!

What you are describing may indeed be still due to fleas. The "white sandy stuff" could be flea eggs. Of course, dander is possible as well, but a normal healthy cat should not suddenly be leaving dander like this.

I'd like you to do a little test for me. Get a paper towel and put it underneath Louie. Then, vigorously rub the fur on his back just in front of his tail. Collect anything that falls off of him on the paper towel. Are there any black flecks on the towel? If so, put a few drops of water on them and see if you can smear them. If they smear and make a rusty color then this is flea dirt.

The flea product that you used (Sargents Sentry Purrscriptions Plus) is really not a great flea product. Unfortunately most products that you can buy in the pet store don't work 100%. I would highly advise getting a perscription product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline from your vet and then using this product monthly for at least 3 months.

It is also possible that there is something else going on. Do you know if he has completely recovered from the anemia? If a cat is not feeling well we will often see that the coat is not as healthy and there will be more shedding and dander. So, if you don't see any flea dirt then I would suggest another vet visit to have your vet make sure that he is ok.

I hope everything works out for you!

I will be heading offline now, but if you have more concerns let me know and I will reply in the morning.

Cloudy eye after an infection hi my dog steve is 8 months old hes a pureb german shepherd, within the last 8weeks... (9909 views)

Pimple on ear. My dog has a pimple on his ear. Its on the inside flap. It only bother him when i... (12523 views)

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (11267 views)

ECG for heart murmur? Hi, We have an 8 year old european shorthair cat who was recently diagnosed as... (7922 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (15642 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (11645 views)

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (8168 views)

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (6482 views)

Dog died after injections. Our 12 yo 12 lb healthy mini dachsund fell off our bed in the middle of the night.... (4273 views)

Redo rabies vaccine? Can a dog get a rabies shot twice? I am waiting for the previous owners to get me... (24526 views)