Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs?

Breed: dog
I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog weighs about
65 to 70 pounds and has been on 20 mg of fluoxetine for about two months. Not too long after
I started giving her the pill, she started with the diarrhea. I put her on the rice and cottage cheese
diet and once daily add 1 packet of FortiFlora, but there is no change. Should I remove the prozac
and see if the diarrhea clears up, or are the two unrelated?

Thanks for your question.

The following side effects are listed for Prozac when used for dogs:

• lethargy

• Gastrointestinal effects

• anxiety

• irritability

• insomnia

• panting

As gastrointestinal effects are listed as a side effect then yes, diarrhea could be caused by the Prozac.

Unfortunately we don't have a lot of research on using Prozac in dogs so we often don't have clear guidelines as to what to expect.

I would not recommend stopping the Prozac without instructions from your vet as dogs, just like people, can have side effects from stopping Prozac too quickly.

It is also possible that there is something else causing the diarrhea. Unfortunately it can often be hard to know what the cause is.

If this were my case I would likely be trying a gradual change to another anti-anxiety medication such as Clomicalm (but this depends on why your dog was put on Prozac). I might also try a course of metronidazole which is an antibiotic which can help with intestinal inflammation. I would likely also be suggesting a fecal check for parasites as well.

I hope things are ok soon!

Thank you for your reply. Deja was put on prozac when I trainer I contracted with stated she showed many symptoms of anxiety, growling when approached or at new people, suckling a favorite blanket and teeth baring to make her point. He said he didn't want to start training until the prozac was tried for six weeks. I will contact the vet who prescribed the prozac and mention the alternative. Thank you again.
S. D'Spain

You're very welcome. I hope Deja is feeling better soon!

Bleeding after whelping. My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's... (77496 views)

Not well after vaccines. Had rabies distemper & bord shots fri Gave her frontline & heartguard yest night.... (9520 views)

Heart enlargement? Hi I have a female terrier dog, Fido and she is 9 years old. Couple of months ago my... (5815 views)

Big lymph nodes. My dog has swollen lymph nodes for about 15 days now and they are all over his body.... (21539 views)

Can't urinate after neuter. My boy cat was castrated yesterday he has been trying to wee but there is no wee... (8314 views)

Lump on paw pad. Hi Dr. Marie! Baileys is a patient of yours at Beechwood Animal Hospital. We were... (45138 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (8424 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (18620 views)

Is this distemper? I live in Mexico and I rescued Trinket when she was 8 to 10 weeks old. She had... (8934 views)

Flea problems. My dog Roxie has had a flea dip and has had her last months flea treatment, but she... (8805 views)