Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs?

Breed: dog
I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog weighs about
65 to 70 pounds and has been on 20 mg of fluoxetine for about two months. Not too long after
I started giving her the pill, she started with the diarrhea. I put her on the rice and cottage cheese
diet and once daily add 1 packet of FortiFlora, but there is no change. Should I remove the prozac
and see if the diarrhea clears up, or are the two unrelated?

Thanks for your question.

The following side effects are listed for Prozac when used for dogs:

• lethargy

• Gastrointestinal effects

• anxiety

• irritability

• insomnia

• panting

As gastrointestinal effects are listed as a side effect then yes, diarrhea could be caused by the Prozac.

Unfortunately we don't have a lot of research on using Prozac in dogs so we often don't have clear guidelines as to what to expect.

I would not recommend stopping the Prozac without instructions from your vet as dogs, just like people, can have side effects from stopping Prozac too quickly.

It is also possible that there is something else causing the diarrhea. Unfortunately it can often be hard to know what the cause is.

If this were my case I would likely be trying a gradual change to another anti-anxiety medication such as Clomicalm (but this depends on why your dog was put on Prozac). I might also try a course of metronidazole which is an antibiotic which can help with intestinal inflammation. I would likely also be suggesting a fecal check for parasites as well.

I hope things are ok soon!

Thank you for your reply. Deja was put on prozac when I trainer I contracted with stated she showed many symptoms of anxiety, growling when approached or at new people, suckling a favorite blanket and teeth baring to make her point. He said he didn't want to start training until the prozac was tried for six weeks. I will contact the vet who prescribed the prozac and mention the alternative. Thank you again.
S. D'Spain

You're very welcome. I hope Deja is feeling better soon!

Lump on hamster Hi, Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its... (19901 views)

Cat is eating less and vomiting. Bernie has been on Royal Canin wet Overweight Management food for awhile. Lately he... (4566 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (8065 views)

Iverheart Plus and Max. i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently... (26400 views)

Cracked Toe Nail. My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I... (9762 views)

Dog eats cat poop. I've caught my dog eating out of our kitten's litter box twice in the past two days.... (14980 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (4731 views)

Lethargic cat My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She... (16634 views)

Coughing older dog. Parker is a slightly smaller than average Wheaten mix who has been overweight most... (4948 views)

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (27313 views)