Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs?

Breed: dog
I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog weighs about
65 to 70 pounds and has been on 20 mg of fluoxetine for about two months. Not too long after
I started giving her the pill, she started with the diarrhea. I put her on the rice and cottage cheese
diet and once daily add 1 packet of FortiFlora, but there is no change. Should I remove the prozac
and see if the diarrhea clears up, or are the two unrelated?

Thanks for your question.

The following side effects are listed for Prozac when used for dogs:

• lethargy

• Gastrointestinal effects

• anxiety

• irritability

• insomnia

• panting

As gastrointestinal effects are listed as a side effect then yes, diarrhea could be caused by the Prozac.

Unfortunately we don't have a lot of research on using Prozac in dogs so we often don't have clear guidelines as to what to expect.

I would not recommend stopping the Prozac without instructions from your vet as dogs, just like people, can have side effects from stopping Prozac too quickly.

It is also possible that there is something else causing the diarrhea. Unfortunately it can often be hard to know what the cause is.

If this were my case I would likely be trying a gradual change to another anti-anxiety medication such as Clomicalm (but this depends on why your dog was put on Prozac). I might also try a course of metronidazole which is an antibiotic which can help with intestinal inflammation. I would likely also be suggesting a fecal check for parasites as well.

I hope things are ok soon!

Thank you for your reply. Deja was put on prozac when I trainer I contracted with stated she showed many symptoms of anxiety, growling when approached or at new people, suckling a favorite blanket and teeth baring to make her point. He said he didn't want to start training until the prozac was tried for six weeks. I will contact the vet who prescribed the prozac and mention the alternative. Thank you again.
S. D'Spain

You're very welcome. I hope Deja is feeling better soon!

Lump on jaw. OK...my cat has a lump on her neck/jaw. One vet has told me it was an... (27987 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (18495 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (36043 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (10323 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (17510 views)

Rat is not eating. my pet rat has an infection and we took her to the vet and was given a mineral food... (9945 views)

Can dogs take human antibiotics? Can dogs take human antibiotics or triple creams for... (16741 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (10611 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (9545 views)

Will neutering stop a dog peeing on things? hi i my dog pisses on everything well getting him fixes stop that thanks... (11555 views)