Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs?

Breed: dog
I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog weighs about
65 to 70 pounds and has been on 20 mg of fluoxetine for about two months. Not too long after
I started giving her the pill, she started with the diarrhea. I put her on the rice and cottage cheese
diet and once daily add 1 packet of FortiFlora, but there is no change. Should I remove the prozac
and see if the diarrhea clears up, or are the two unrelated?

Thanks for your question.

The following side effects are listed for Prozac when used for dogs:

• lethargy

• Gastrointestinal effects

• anxiety

• irritability

• insomnia

• panting

As gastrointestinal effects are listed as a side effect then yes, diarrhea could be caused by the Prozac.

Unfortunately we don't have a lot of research on using Prozac in dogs so we often don't have clear guidelines as to what to expect.

I would not recommend stopping the Prozac without instructions from your vet as dogs, just like people, can have side effects from stopping Prozac too quickly.

It is also possible that there is something else causing the diarrhea. Unfortunately it can often be hard to know what the cause is.

If this were my case I would likely be trying a gradual change to another anti-anxiety medication such as Clomicalm (but this depends on why your dog was put on Prozac). I might also try a course of metronidazole which is an antibiotic which can help with intestinal inflammation. I would likely also be suggesting a fecal check for parasites as well.

I hope things are ok soon!

Thank you for your reply. Deja was put on prozac when I trainer I contracted with stated she showed many symptoms of anxiety, growling when approached or at new people, suckling a favorite blanket and teeth baring to make her point. He said he didn't want to start training until the prozac was tried for six weeks. I will contact the vet who prescribed the prozac and mention the alternative. Thank you again.
S. D'Spain

You're very welcome. I hope Deja is feeling better soon!

Cat peeing in house. Previously my cat would urinate or defecate on clothes/rugs if the letterbox was too... (7034 views)

Constipation or megacolon? We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5... (4765 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (10104 views)

Dark sticky diarrhea. My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the... (13611 views)

Pregnant cat in heat? I thought Clhoe was pregnant , she went into (Heat)a month ago and was seen being...... (13707 views)

Patches of hair loss on snout. Hi, my dog Penelope has started to develop a patch of hair loss on the right side of... (18606 views)

Sterile nodular panniculitis? Hi, My dog has a patch of nodules on his neck. I took him to our normal vet five... (29700 views)

Hair loss in hamster I have a syrian hamster which is about two and a half years old. He as been losing... (7310 views)

Puppy not eating. why isn't my minature pincher puppy not eatting? i tried to feed him myself but he... (8365 views)

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (7259 views)