Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs?

Breed: dog
I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog weighs about
65 to 70 pounds and has been on 20 mg of fluoxetine for about two months. Not too long after
I started giving her the pill, she started with the diarrhea. I put her on the rice and cottage cheese
diet and once daily add 1 packet of FortiFlora, but there is no change. Should I remove the prozac
and see if the diarrhea clears up, or are the two unrelated?

Thanks for your question.

The following side effects are listed for Prozac when used for dogs:

• lethargy

• Gastrointestinal effects

• anxiety

• irritability

• insomnia

• panting

As gastrointestinal effects are listed as a side effect then yes, diarrhea could be caused by the Prozac.

Unfortunately we don't have a lot of research on using Prozac in dogs so we often don't have clear guidelines as to what to expect.

I would not recommend stopping the Prozac without instructions from your vet as dogs, just like people, can have side effects from stopping Prozac too quickly.

It is also possible that there is something else causing the diarrhea. Unfortunately it can often be hard to know what the cause is.

If this were my case I would likely be trying a gradual change to another anti-anxiety medication such as Clomicalm (but this depends on why your dog was put on Prozac). I might also try a course of metronidazole which is an antibiotic which can help with intestinal inflammation. I would likely also be suggesting a fecal check for parasites as well.

I hope things are ok soon!

Thank you for your reply. Deja was put on prozac when I trainer I contracted with stated she showed many symptoms of anxiety, growling when approached or at new people, suckling a favorite blanket and teeth baring to make her point. He said he didn't want to start training until the prozac was tried for six weeks. I will contact the vet who prescribed the prozac and mention the alternative. Thank you again.
S. D'Spain

You're very welcome. I hope Deja is feeling better soon!

Drinking more and thirsty LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND... (14621 views)

Chlamydia contagious? Can dogs get chlamydia? I encountered information regarding oral chlamydia&don't... (10253 views)

Limping boston terrier. hi my boston terrier wont put any weight on his back right foot. It started of only... (22482 views)

Peeing in the house. I would like a REAL solution to this, without the standard answers or suggestions(... (8314 views)

Throwing up and diarrhea. My dog has been throwing up and has had diarrhea for a couple of days. She is able... (30082 views)

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (5101 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (10086 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (8144 views)

Male cat has large breasts. Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly... (19173 views)

Cerenia and buprenorphine My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her... (9437 views)