Why did my dog die?

Breed: Black Lab Mix
I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping changing from front to back legs, would yelp in pain if you accidentally touched him, had to be helped up to his feet when laying down, and had fever, legs sometimes shook when standing. Had bloodwork done, x-rays, joint tap, blood test for Lyme's Disease which came back positive for antibodies (we live in Florida and thought that was rare). Was treated for 3 weeks of antibiotics and he seemed to return to his normal self. A few weeks ago he started to show signs of no appetite, lethargy, so he was started on antibiotics again. He got worse with fever, bounding heart rate, pale inside ears, walked slow with head low and kind of swaying from side to side (head), clear liquid dripping from nose, panting...more bloodwork done and different antibiotics were given. Bloodwork came back with white blood cell count double, resting cortisol low, given test for Addison's Disease which came back negative. Also given new Lymes Disease test-negative as well. Started to get better again for a few days, then suddenly passed away. Any thoughts on what may have happened or do you think there was more I should have done? He had been to 2 different vets and 1 specialty hospital.

I'm very sorry for your loss! I wish I could shed some light on the situation but it sounds very complicated. Unfortunately if 2 vets and a specialist couldn't figure out what is going on it must have been very serious.

It sounds like you did everything you could for her.

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (50343 views)

In heat cat spay. Dear Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed today (by laser). When I picked her up the vet... (12203 views)

Sensitive at tail base. My cat is 7 years old. She is the only suvivor of her litteer. All of the kittens... (113121 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (9495 views)

Constipated cat. Hi Dr. Marie, The last time I emailed you (about a year ago), our cat, Keane, was... (13680 views)

Died after bloat surgery. My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and... (16753 views)

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (68501 views)

Lump on dog's belly. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a... (14591 views)

Restraint of dogs. Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the... (7570 views)

Dog died at the vet's A couple weeks ago I noticed our dog Gauge was straining to urinate but couldnt. I... (8003 views)