Why did my dog die?

Breed: Black Lab Mix
I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping changing from front to back legs, would yelp in pain if you accidentally touched him, had to be helped up to his feet when laying down, and had fever, legs sometimes shook when standing. Had bloodwork done, x-rays, joint tap, blood test for Lyme's Disease which came back positive for antibodies (we live in Florida and thought that was rare). Was treated for 3 weeks of antibiotics and he seemed to return to his normal self. A few weeks ago he started to show signs of no appetite, lethargy, so he was started on antibiotics again. He got worse with fever, bounding heart rate, pale inside ears, walked slow with head low and kind of swaying from side to side (head), clear liquid dripping from nose, panting...more bloodwork done and different antibiotics were given. Bloodwork came back with white blood cell count double, resting cortisol low, given test for Addison's Disease which came back negative. Also given new Lymes Disease test-negative as well. Started to get better again for a few days, then suddenly passed away. Any thoughts on what may have happened or do you think there was more I should have done? He had been to 2 different vets and 1 specialty hospital.

I'm very sorry for your loss! I wish I could shed some light on the situation but it sounds very complicated. Unfortunately if 2 vets and a specialist couldn't figure out what is going on it must have been very serious.

It sounds like you did everything you could for her.

Clumsy,wobbly yorkiepoo. My son put my 11 month old yorkiepoo outside yesterday and he didn't let him back in... (13328 views)

Should I help a sick vole? I know you only answer questions about dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs,... (9192 views)

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (38502 views)

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (19939 views)

Coughing and not eating. I recently adopted Bell (female) and Sid (6 month old male from a local animal... (5429 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur. Hello, my 12 year old beagle just recently went into the vet for a check up and the... (12209 views)

Chronic and acute kidney disease. My dog is a 3 and half year old toy poodle. About 3 month before, he was diagnosed... (8609 views)

Wobbly after ear cleaning. Hi, The last two times Tigger has been to the vet, they noted that she had a mass... (17890 views)

Swollen gums in dog. in end june of 2009 , gingivitus like symptoms appeared in my dog . the vet did... (19547 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (29079 views)