Why did my dog die?

Breed: Black Lab Mix
I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping changing from front to back legs, would yelp in pain if you accidentally touched him, had to be helped up to his feet when laying down, and had fever, legs sometimes shook when standing. Had bloodwork done, x-rays, joint tap, blood test for Lyme's Disease which came back positive for antibodies (we live in Florida and thought that was rare). Was treated for 3 weeks of antibiotics and he seemed to return to his normal self. A few weeks ago he started to show signs of no appetite, lethargy, so he was started on antibiotics again. He got worse with fever, bounding heart rate, pale inside ears, walked slow with head low and kind of swaying from side to side (head), clear liquid dripping from nose, panting...more bloodwork done and different antibiotics were given. Bloodwork came back with white blood cell count double, resting cortisol low, given test for Addison's Disease which came back negative. Also given new Lymes Disease test-negative as well. Started to get better again for a few days, then suddenly passed away. Any thoughts on what may have happened or do you think there was more I should have done? He had been to 2 different vets and 1 specialty hospital.

I'm very sorry for your loss! I wish I could shed some light on the situation but it sounds very complicated. Unfortunately if 2 vets and a specialist couldn't figure out what is going on it must have been very serious.

It sounds like you did everything you could for her.

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (12554 views)

High ALKP and bile acids. Hi Dr. Marie I value your opinion so much and I do respect and understand that... (16313 views)

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (10697 views)

Wheezing dog. My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or... (7011 views)

Rabies from my dog? my 70 days old cocker spaniel bit my toe and there ws little bleeding and i cleaned... (4861 views)

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (12887 views)

White spot on dog's nose. sadie has a white spot below her nose right in the middle of the muzzle i can't tell... (33144 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (9160 views)

Kittens died. My 9-10 month old cat had five kittens. No problem delivering. Kittens seemed... (11010 views)

Red spot near vulva. My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and... (22168 views)