Why did my dog die?

Breed: Black Lab Mix
I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping changing from front to back legs, would yelp in pain if you accidentally touched him, had to be helped up to his feet when laying down, and had fever, legs sometimes shook when standing. Had bloodwork done, x-rays, joint tap, blood test for Lyme's Disease which came back positive for antibodies (we live in Florida and thought that was rare). Was treated for 3 weeks of antibiotics and he seemed to return to his normal self. A few weeks ago he started to show signs of no appetite, lethargy, so he was started on antibiotics again. He got worse with fever, bounding heart rate, pale inside ears, walked slow with head low and kind of swaying from side to side (head), clear liquid dripping from nose, panting...more bloodwork done and different antibiotics were given. Bloodwork came back with white blood cell count double, resting cortisol low, given test for Addison's Disease which came back negative. Also given new Lymes Disease test-negative as well. Started to get better again for a few days, then suddenly passed away. Any thoughts on what may have happened or do you think there was more I should have done? He had been to 2 different vets and 1 specialty hospital.

I'm very sorry for your loss! I wish I could shed some light on the situation but it sounds very complicated. Unfortunately if 2 vets and a specialist couldn't figure out what is going on it must have been very serious.

It sounds like you did everything you could for her.

Lump on boxer's neck. Hi, My six yr. old female boxer has a large AA egg size growth below the right tmj... (63995 views)

Not eating, blood tests normal. Hello, Dr. Marie. I'm actually asking this question for my parents about their cat,... (28108 views)

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (14486 views)

Diethylene glycol in chicken jerky. Do you know of any of the Chicken Jerky do treats that are made in China, has been... (7436 views)

Dog drinking and panting lots. my dog has been drinking and panting a lot since i changed his dog food last summer.... (16224 views)

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (6485 views)

Dog is licking where he was neutered. my dog is licking where he was neutered 3 years ago help asap... (10128 views)

Lance abscess? My dog was was in a fight with my roomates dog. He healed up and was himself a few... (15137 views)

Sunscreen for cats and dogs. My cat is a white cat and he loves to lounge in the sun. I was wondering if you... (16651 views)

Cat not doing well. Hi Dr. Marie, First I want to say I love your page on Facebook and I am a big Fan... (10059 views)