Why did my dog die?

Breed: Black Lab Mix
I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping changing from front to back legs, would yelp in pain if you accidentally touched him, had to be helped up to his feet when laying down, and had fever, legs sometimes shook when standing. Had bloodwork done, x-rays, joint tap, blood test for Lyme's Disease which came back positive for antibodies (we live in Florida and thought that was rare). Was treated for 3 weeks of antibiotics and he seemed to return to his normal self. A few weeks ago he started to show signs of no appetite, lethargy, so he was started on antibiotics again. He got worse with fever, bounding heart rate, pale inside ears, walked slow with head low and kind of swaying from side to side (head), clear liquid dripping from nose, panting...more bloodwork done and different antibiotics were given. Bloodwork came back with white blood cell count double, resting cortisol low, given test for Addison's Disease which came back negative. Also given new Lymes Disease test-negative as well. Started to get better again for a few days, then suddenly passed away. Any thoughts on what may have happened or do you think there was more I should have done? He had been to 2 different vets and 1 specialty hospital.

I'm very sorry for your loss! I wish I could shed some light on the situation but it sounds very complicated. Unfortunately if 2 vets and a specialist couldn't figure out what is going on it must have been very serious.

It sounds like you did everything you could for her.

Diarrhea and lump on face. My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea... (10424 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (25299 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (33157 views)

Pug died suddenly. My 8 year old female pug just died. My husband came home from work and she had... (24781 views)

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (12375 views)

Low protein and leaking urine. A German Shepherd mix, approximately 4-6 years old, was dropped off and we started... (5999 views)

Peeing in house and throwing up. My dog has not woke us up to be let ouside since he has been house trained. A... (45994 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (7853 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (6279 views)

Sardine treats for my cat. Is this recipe for cat treats safe for my cat? 3/4 cup dry, whole wheat bread... (7381 views)