Dog eating his own poop.

Breed: Rottweiler
My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there something he is lacking in his diet? Are there nutrients that I can give him to make him stop doing this because this is really really gross!

Hi Anne, and thanks for your question.

This is certainly a very frustrating problem! The good news is that your dog is not doing this because of a dietary deficiency or anything like that - it is just a bad habit.

I have had good success using a product called "Forbid". It is not very expensive and you can buy it from your vet or from many pet stores. You sprinkle the powder on your dog's food and it tastes very good. However, when it goes through the digestive tract it makes the stool taste absolutely horrible. The package tells you to feed it for 3-5 days and it often will cure the problem. The problem with this though is that you need to let him taste the stool during this period.

Another thing that often works is to set up some booby traps by spiking some stool in the yard with either tabasco sauce or a spray of a product called "bitter apple".

Most dogs do grow out of this behavior, but usually if we use one of the above methods we can fix this quickly.

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (9878 views)

dog with strabismus Dr. , My Boxer Cooper has what I think is called strabismus or lazy eye. He has... (13979 views)

Ivermectin toxicity in a cat. My kitten and I live in Democractic Republic of Congo. Today, a vet administered an... (12503 views)

Severe skin problems. My dog Leila started licking on 8/1/12. Her spots looked like hot spots on elbows... (6871 views)

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (5285 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (25337 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (6961 views)

Tumor in belly. I recently discovered my 13 year old cat has a probably cancerous mass growing in... (6377 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (8872 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (6505 views)