Dog eating his own poop.

Breed: Rottweiler
My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there something he is lacking in his diet? Are there nutrients that I can give him to make him stop doing this because this is really really gross!

Hi Anne, and thanks for your question.

This is certainly a very frustrating problem! The good news is that your dog is not doing this because of a dietary deficiency or anything like that - it is just a bad habit.

I have had good success using a product called "Forbid". It is not very expensive and you can buy it from your vet or from many pet stores. You sprinkle the powder on your dog's food and it tastes very good. However, when it goes through the digestive tract it makes the stool taste absolutely horrible. The package tells you to feed it for 3-5 days and it often will cure the problem. The problem with this though is that you need to let him taste the stool during this period.

Another thing that often works is to set up some booby traps by spiking some stool in the yard with either tabasco sauce or a spray of a product called "bitter apple".

Most dogs do grow out of this behavior, but usually if we use one of the above methods we can fix this quickly.

Big belly in stray cat. Hello, One day a stray cat showed up at our Home, We could tell she was expecting.... (22171 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (4751 views)

Lump on my dog. Hello Dr. Marie, I sincerely hope that this is real, and that if it is and you... (33617 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (9081 views)

Cat abscess not healing. About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the... (10630 views)

Diarrhea with blood Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be... (12838 views)

Puppy died and had fluid in lungs. Hi Dr. Marie, My case is probally irrelevant now since my 14 weeks puppy(american... (15254 views)

Rimadyl and Otomax. Hi, I have a two part question. The first is Rimadyl dosage for an older dog. My... (9492 views)

Flea problems. My dog Roxie has had a flea dip and has had her last months flea treatment, but she... (8278 views)

Not eating and vomiting. Since saturday our terrior cross hasn't been eating her food,and drinking alot. We... (6906 views)