Dog eating his own poop.

Breed: Rottweiler
My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there something he is lacking in his diet? Are there nutrients that I can give him to make him stop doing this because this is really really gross!

Hi Anne, and thanks for your question.

This is certainly a very frustrating problem! The good news is that your dog is not doing this because of a dietary deficiency or anything like that - it is just a bad habit.

I have had good success using a product called "Forbid". It is not very expensive and you can buy it from your vet or from many pet stores. You sprinkle the powder on your dog's food and it tastes very good. However, when it goes through the digestive tract it makes the stool taste absolutely horrible. The package tells you to feed it for 3-5 days and it often will cure the problem. The problem with this though is that you need to let him taste the stool during this period.

Another thing that often works is to set up some booby traps by spiking some stool in the yard with either tabasco sauce or a spray of a product called "bitter apple".

Most dogs do grow out of this behavior, but usually if we use one of the above methods we can fix this quickly.

Why did my cat die? my cat was fine one day and the next he stopped everything he only walked when... (11372 views)

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (10787 views)

Clavaseptin and diarrhea. My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate... (16563 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello Dr. Marie, I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday... (11195 views)

Dog losing chunks of fur. My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns... (11004 views)

Treatments for constipated cat. Good morning Dr Marie, This is the second time I have used your service. I was... (5366 views)

Itchy dog. whats would be the best flea medication for a my dog?? hes been chewing for months... (9686 views)

Introducing kittens. hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the... (9821 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (21916 views)

Dog doesn't like u/d For a dog that has once needed to have surgery to have bladder stones removed do you... (23668 views)