Dog eating his own poop.

Breed: Rottweiler
My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there something he is lacking in his diet? Are there nutrients that I can give him to make him stop doing this because this is really really gross!

Hi Anne, and thanks for your question.

This is certainly a very frustrating problem! The good news is that your dog is not doing this because of a dietary deficiency or anything like that - it is just a bad habit.

I have had good success using a product called "Forbid". It is not very expensive and you can buy it from your vet or from many pet stores. You sprinkle the powder on your dog's food and it tastes very good. However, when it goes through the digestive tract it makes the stool taste absolutely horrible. The package tells you to feed it for 3-5 days and it often will cure the problem. The problem with this though is that you need to let him taste the stool during this period.

Another thing that often works is to set up some booby traps by spiking some stool in the yard with either tabasco sauce or a spray of a product called "bitter apple".

Most dogs do grow out of this behavior, but usually if we use one of the above methods we can fix this quickly.

Dog with FCE Dr. M, We have a 40 pound bulldog terrier mix. Eight days ago he was fighting with... (7424 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (9737 views)

My dog is grieving. Good Day Dr. In March of 2011 we lost Lucy (Coton du Tulear) to heart disease. ... (13599 views)

Wobbly after anesthesia. Hello Dr. Marie, I just have a few questions about Snova...he got shaved for the... (14003 views)

Hibiscus toxic to dogs? Are Hibiscus flowers poisonous? I caught my pomeranian eating one this morning... (20888 views)

Cat with bone cancer. When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front... (11954 views)

House training adult dog. Is it possible to house break a 5 y/o mini pin that was rescued from a puppy mill? ... (8131 views)

Cat with asthma. Dr. Marie, Misto is a 9-year-old, 15-pound domestic shorthair, house-only cat who... (7950 views)

Boxer skin problems. -I apologize in advance for the novel i wrote below- We are officially at a loss.... (51924 views)

Heartworm in a puppy? I recently sold an 11 week old pomeranian on January 24, 2010 due to allergies. I... (12467 views)