Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas?

Breed: corgi/rot mix
hello dr. marie,

bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz ultra guard flea and tick drops for dogs weighing 31-60lbs on fri july 2. bear is about 50lbs. it looks like all the fleas went to her butt so my question is would it be alright to give her perscription pills from a vet or more over the counter stuff?
its sat and all the vets are closed so thank for doing this!

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

You're very welcome Senora!

Fleas can be frustrating! I get really frustrated with over the counter flea products because they usually only kill a percentage of the fleas and don't work 100%

It is definitely a good idea to get a prescription product from your vet such as Advantage, Revolution, Frontline, Comfortis or Capstar. All of these will be safe to use even if Bear has recently been treated with Hartz.

Additionally, make sure that ALL animals in your house are treated. And, be sure to treat her once a month for a few months in a row. This way, if any fleas are in your house they will die once they jump on her.

I hope things go well!

Dog with pancreatitis. My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I... (10856 views)

One small testicle. I have a 25 week old male pup who had 2 normal testicles at 8 weeks old. At about 10... (19895 views)

Cat flung himself around. Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up... (5424 views)

Ivermectin toxicity in a cat. My kitten and I live in Democractic Republic of Congo. Today, a vet administered an... (11455 views)

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (4251 views)

Puppy vaccinations. I have a new puppy. I was given his vaccination record (number of... (4195 views)

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (19917 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (4944 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (10949 views)

Golden retriever with lymphoma died. My golden retriever was 125 pounds (all muscle) and enjoyed perfect health for all... (29544 views)