Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas?

Breed: corgi/rot mix
hello dr. marie,

bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz ultra guard flea and tick drops for dogs weighing 31-60lbs on fri july 2. bear is about 50lbs. it looks like all the fleas went to her butt so my question is would it be alright to give her perscription pills from a vet or more over the counter stuff?
its sat and all the vets are closed so thank for doing this!

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

You're very welcome Senora!

Fleas can be frustrating! I get really frustrated with over the counter flea products because they usually only kill a percentage of the fleas and don't work 100%

It is definitely a good idea to get a prescription product from your vet such as Advantage, Revolution, Frontline, Comfortis or Capstar. All of these will be safe to use even if Bear has recently been treated with Hartz.

Additionally, make sure that ALL animals in your house are treated. And, be sure to treat her once a month for a few months in a row. This way, if any fleas are in your house they will die once they jump on her.

I hope things go well!

Cause of high ALP? mickey a male is 6 and 1/2 years old. he was prescribed on 8/12/11 rimadyl (1/2 75mg... (11472 views)

Cushing's and diabetes. My dog was diagnosed last month with cushings disease and diabetes. He's up to 14... (15392 views)

Tumor or cystitis? I have a 17-year-old male cat (British short hair). He is in good health, eats and... (11184 views)

Spinal cord lymphoma Hello Dr. Marie, Our angel puppy Oreo passed away last night. We decided to move... (10888 views)

Is Tropiclean safe? Dear Dr. Marie: Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my... (17713 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (24831 views)

Blood in urine My male cat has red staining to his urine, he isn't acting any different but is... (5363 views)

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (8124 views)

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (12166 views)

Dog vomiting clear mucus and white foam. My dog continues to throw up a clear mucus with white foam. He is still very... (18673 views)