Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas?

Breed: corgi/rot mix
hello dr. marie,

bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz ultra guard flea and tick drops for dogs weighing 31-60lbs on fri july 2. bear is about 50lbs. it looks like all the fleas went to her butt so my question is would it be alright to give her perscription pills from a vet or more over the counter stuff?
its sat and all the vets are closed so thank for doing this!

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

You're very welcome Senora!

Fleas can be frustrating! I get really frustrated with over the counter flea products because they usually only kill a percentage of the fleas and don't work 100%

It is definitely a good idea to get a prescription product from your vet such as Advantage, Revolution, Frontline, Comfortis or Capstar. All of these will be safe to use even if Bear has recently been treated with Hartz.

Additionally, make sure that ALL animals in your house are treated. And, be sure to treat her once a month for a few months in a row. This way, if any fleas are in your house they will die once they jump on her.

I hope things go well!

Vomiting yellow liquid. Maynard has been vomiting up yellowish urine colored liquid a few time in the last... (8765 views)

Pregnant cat in heat? I thought Clhoe was pregnant , she went into (Heat)a month ago and was seen being...... (14391 views)

Cat pooping on floor. My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and... (11224 views)

viscious dogs Killer dogs next door! We live next door to 4 dogs, a female German Shepard, a... (12657 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (49049 views)

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (8497 views)

Possibly hip dysplasia. Dear Dr. Marie, I recently had to put my dog down as he was only two and a half... (7773 views)

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (46642 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma questions. Hello Dr. Marie, What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland... (15933 views)

Questions about seizures and MRI. Dr., We are in a dilemma and don't know what to do. Our pet, BooBoo, our beatiful... (62190 views)