Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas?

Breed: corgi/rot mix
hello dr. marie,

bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz ultra guard flea and tick drops for dogs weighing 31-60lbs on fri july 2. bear is about 50lbs. it looks like all the fleas went to her butt so my question is would it be alright to give her perscription pills from a vet or more over the counter stuff?
its sat and all the vets are closed so thank for doing this!

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

You're very welcome Senora!

Fleas can be frustrating! I get really frustrated with over the counter flea products because they usually only kill a percentage of the fleas and don't work 100%

It is definitely a good idea to get a prescription product from your vet such as Advantage, Revolution, Frontline, Comfortis or Capstar. All of these will be safe to use even if Bear has recently been treated with Hartz.

Additionally, make sure that ALL animals in your house are treated. And, be sure to treat her once a month for a few months in a row. This way, if any fleas are in your house they will die once they jump on her.

I hope things go well!

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (20555 views)

No bowel movements after parvo. I have a seven month old poodle mix puppy with parvovirus. He was a puppy someone... (29741 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (9541 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (36213 views)

Mass on dog's cheek. My dog recently had a cotton ball size mass on her "cheek". Someone told me it was... (11706 views)

Kitten with large belly. Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the... (11828 views)

Blood in urine after neuter. My dog was neutered 2 days ago. When he pees now there is small traces of blood in... (36283 views)

Dog is losing weight. I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always... (11671 views)

Crusty ears and very itchy. i have a boston terrier that just turned 1 year old (female). at 6 months i took her... (11167 views)

When to do shots? just wanted to know my dog got her parvovirus on 5/01/11 and her leptospirosis on... (9276 views)