Excessive drooling

Breed: Short Hair tabby, al
Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively drooling. I believe I only noticed it yesterday, but it has continued. She has eaten some dry food and I saw her drink water last night but I'm unsure of how much.
To note, I adopted a kitten exactly a week ago. She is still not crazy about him but it's getting better.
Also, my roommate has two little dogs. They never really interact since she spends most of the time in my room and I have a pet gate up. The kitten will hang out with them though.
She hasn't had too many health issues that I know of, to be honest she is halfway impossible to take to the vet or even get in the carrier. I try to monitor her though and make sure she is healthy Also, she is strictly a indoor cat and I do not keep flowers around.

My apologies for the delay in my answer.

There are a number of things that can cause a cat to drool excessively, although I wouldn't say that this is a common problem.

Most likely this is not the case, but one cause for drooling would be if you just applied a pet store flea product, especially if it was one meant for dogs and not for cats. This can be a serious emergency, so if you think this is the issue then I'd see the vet right away.

A more likely answer is that there is something going on in your cat's mouth. If it is serious enough to cause excessive drooling then it probably is something that should be checked out by a vet. A tooth problem can cause this type of issue although unfortunately a more common problem that causes drooling in an older cat is some type of tumor affecting the tongue or mouth. Hopefully this is not the case.

It's also possible that the cat has a foreign object stuck in her mouth. I have seen this happen several times as well.

There really isn't a home remedy that I can think of. If it continues then she really should see a vet.

I hope things are ok.

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (5581 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (19429 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (26968 views)

Repeat of parvo? my 3 puppies got parvo last week (6/29/2010)they were only 3 months old and they all... (21707 views)

Maltese has bald spot on head. We have a two year old Maltese that had a small bald spot on her head when we got... (12405 views)

Dog ate sewing needle. I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I... (36070 views)

Hydrocode side effect? My dog is a 16-1/2 year old Wheaten who has had two seizures at a groomers. I took... (7538 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (17462 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (36631 views)

Why did dog die? My dog, Runway, died suddenly early sunday morning, at about 1:00am. I am wondering... (14282 views)