Bald spots on cat's legs.

Breed: Domesic Shorthair Si
I moved from Los Angeles to St.Louis with my cat. For a few months now I've noticed my cat is obsessively licking her hind legs and now her front legs. She's licked the back legs to a point where they're red blood bruised. I've also noticed on occasion red mucus/blood in her stool. I've changed her litter brand, started giving her fish oil and try to spray the areas with wound spray but she's still going at it. I also started giving her half a small can of wet food to help with stool. Her dry food is Natural Balance Indoor Cat. I don't know what else to do. She's an indoor cat, very skiddish, hides under the bed most of the time. I've never taken her to vet. She will be 8 soon. I rescued her from an animal shelter at 3 years old (they estimated her age). She is fixed. I will try to send a picture so you can see her licking.

There are a few things that can cause symptoms like this.

bald legs on a cat

The scabs on the legs are likely due to self trauma. But the question is what is causing her to do this. An allergy certainly is possible. It is often difficult to know what a cat is allergic too. It is unlikely to be the food. Fleas can do this, although the distribution of the lesions is not typical for a flea allergy.

Some cats can do this as a result of "stress". It's often difficult to know what the cause of the stress is and most cats in which I see this actually lead pretty non stressful lives.

There are some conditions such as immune conditions that can cause lesions like this too.

This is something that is not likely to go away on its own. I would highly recommend a veterinary visit. The vet may decide to do some tests to rule out immune conditions like eosiophilic dermatitis or even fungal conditions like ringworm.

There is a good chance that this will go away with steroids. These are safe to give to cats in the right dose.

If your vet thinks that this is due to stress then they may prescribe some antianxiety medications.

I do hope that things improve soon.

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (13546 views)

Dog has sore muscles. About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when... (10319 views)

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (42031 views)

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (165234 views)

Cat behavior problem. We got a 13 year old girl recently (just months ago, not even a year). And we have a... (9766 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (16503 views)

Treatments for constipated cat. Good morning Dr Marie, This is the second time I have used your service. I was... (4039 views)

Liver disease and diarrhea? Hi Dr. Marie My 11 y.o. Boston Andi (about 14 pounds) has been a healthy girl all... (5305 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (10722 views)

Wart on a cat? Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten... (22026 views)