Itchy spot on thigh.

Breed: chihuahua
my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and scratched it so much it turned red and darkened color...ive given him oatmeal baths and tried soothing creams from the pet store and its been about 3 months since this happened and even though he doesnt itch there a whole lot anymore and the most of the redness has passed and now its just a darker color and it looks dry and flaky..i was wondering if you might know what this is and what i can possibly do to treat this at home so his skin can go back to normal. thank you

This is a tough one to comment on without actually seeing your dog. But, most of the time when there is a skin lesion like this there is some type of infection present. It could be a bacterial infection or it could be a fungal infection such as ringworm.

If this is an infection then it will definitely need prescription medications in order to clear up. Over the counter creams and sprays are not very effective.

Most skin infections need oral antibiotics for a period of a few weeks.

It sounds like it's a good idea to have your vet take a look!

Xray for hip dysplasia? Hi Dr, I was just wondering as a rule whether I should have Max x-rayed to check... (6401 views)

Peeing orange and losing weight. I have a village dog, I think he is dying, I don't know what to do. I always feed... (18299 views)

Dog bitten by another dog my dog got bit by a boxer dog on the front leg what shall i... (13136 views)

Slimy white stuff in urine. Last night my cat urinated on the couch. That's abnormal on it's own but, in... (29863 views)

Infection on leg. My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there... (19536 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (7758 views)

Vomiting after allergy injection My sister took my dog to the vet yesterday where she recieved a shot to stop itching... (16044 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (9899 views)

Switching foods for allergies. My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and... (7879 views)

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (98430 views)