Itchy spot on thigh.

Breed: chihuahua
my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and scratched it so much it turned red and darkened color...ive given him oatmeal baths and tried soothing creams from the pet store and its been about 3 months since this happened and even though he doesnt itch there a whole lot anymore and the most of the redness has passed and now its just a darker color and it looks dry and flaky..i was wondering if you might know what this is and what i can possibly do to treat this at home so his skin can go back to normal. thank you

This is a tough one to comment on without actually seeing your dog. But, most of the time when there is a skin lesion like this there is some type of infection present. It could be a bacterial infection or it could be a fungal infection such as ringworm.

If this is an infection then it will definitely need prescription medications in order to clear up. Over the counter creams and sprays are not very effective.

Most skin infections need oral antibiotics for a period of a few weeks.

It sounds like it's a good idea to have your vet take a look!

Pug died after pooping blood. my female pug passed away between 4:00A.M. & 8:00 A.m. yesterday. She had never... (55916 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (12442 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (9859 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (11448 views)

Blood in urine after neuter. My dog was neutered 2 days ago. When he pees now there is small traces of blood in... (32490 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (10013 views)

Dog ate collar. Our dog ate half of a leather, metal studded collar about a week ago, which after a... (14029 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (8056 views)

Sores on dog's leg. My dog recently got theses two sores on her back leg, one bigger than the other. Its... (9178 views)

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (34382 views)