Itchy spot on thigh.

Breed: chihuahua
my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and scratched it so much it turned red and darkened color...ive given him oatmeal baths and tried soothing creams from the pet store and its been about 3 months since this happened and even though he doesnt itch there a whole lot anymore and the most of the redness has passed and now its just a darker color and it looks dry and flaky..i was wondering if you might know what this is and what i can possibly do to treat this at home so his skin can go back to normal. thank you

This is a tough one to comment on without actually seeing your dog. But, most of the time when there is a skin lesion like this there is some type of infection present. It could be a bacterial infection or it could be a fungal infection such as ringworm.

If this is an infection then it will definitely need prescription medications in order to clear up. Over the counter creams and sprays are not very effective.

Most skin infections need oral antibiotics for a period of a few weeks.

It sounds like it's a good idea to have your vet take a look!

Start thryoid medicine? Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound... (8234 views)

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (10965 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (31287 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (13931 views)

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (10394 views)

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (20930 views)

Famotidine for kidney disease. Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer.... (11054 views)

Retrobulbar abscess My 3 year old, female border collie was treated late yesterday for a retrobulbar... (10151 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (9320 views)

Pink spot on dog. I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest... (26956 views)