Itchy spot on thigh.

Breed: chihuahua
my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and scratched it so much it turned red and darkened color...ive given him oatmeal baths and tried soothing creams from the pet store and its been about 3 months since this happened and even though he doesnt itch there a whole lot anymore and the most of the redness has passed and now its just a darker color and it looks dry and flaky..i was wondering if you might know what this is and what i can possibly do to treat this at home so his skin can go back to normal. thank you

This is a tough one to comment on without actually seeing your dog. But, most of the time when there is a skin lesion like this there is some type of infection present. It could be a bacterial infection or it could be a fungal infection such as ringworm.

If this is an infection then it will definitely need prescription medications in order to clear up. Over the counter creams and sprays are not very effective.

Most skin infections need oral antibiotics for a period of a few weeks.

It sounds like it's a good idea to have your vet take a look!

Sore black lab? Hi, I have a 6 1/2 year old extremely active Black Lab named Miller. He loves to... (24134 views)

Antibiotics for anal glands? Hi I have written before about our unique living situation. We are expats with... (10555 views)

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (13925 views)

Senior cat losing weight. My cat is approx. 16 years old. The last few months she has been losing a lot of... (11814 views)

Lymphangectasia in a dog Hi Dr, Sorry to bother you again. Max's biopsies came back. strong... (10722 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (43680 views)

Honey for a wound. Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses... (10545 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (6854 views)

Immodium overdose? I may have overdosed my chihuahua on immodium ad yesterday. I gave her a humans dose... (29897 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (31714 views)