Itchy spot on thigh.

Breed: chihuahua
my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and scratched it so much it turned red and darkened color...ive given him oatmeal baths and tried soothing creams from the pet store and its been about 3 months since this happened and even though he doesnt itch there a whole lot anymore and the most of the redness has passed and now its just a darker color and it looks dry and flaky..i was wondering if you might know what this is and what i can possibly do to treat this at home so his skin can go back to normal. thank you

This is a tough one to comment on without actually seeing your dog. But, most of the time when there is a skin lesion like this there is some type of infection present. It could be a bacterial infection or it could be a fungal infection such as ringworm.

If this is an infection then it will definitely need prescription medications in order to clear up. Over the counter creams and sprays are not very effective.

Most skin infections need oral antibiotics for a period of a few weeks.

It sounds like it's a good idea to have your vet take a look!

Increase in dog's thirst and urination. My dog has been acting fuuny the past few nights he wakes me up 2-3 times a night to... (9047 views)

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (4701 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (10851 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (16210 views)

Sneezing dog. My 1 year old Chihuahua has been sneezing and reverse sneezing for the last couple... (25091 views)

Mycoplasma in rats. Hi, my name is Ann and I have two rats, Pinky and Roc. Unfortunately, one has... (10000 views)

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (6757 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (5117 views)

Pit Bull died suddenly. My Female Pit bull is about a year and half to 2 years we got her from a neighbor... (13470 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (9160 views)