Itchy spot on thigh.

Breed: chihuahua
my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and scratched it so much it turned red and darkened color...ive given him oatmeal baths and tried soothing creams from the pet store and its been about 3 months since this happened and even though he doesnt itch there a whole lot anymore and the most of the redness has passed and now its just a darker color and it looks dry and flaky..i was wondering if you might know what this is and what i can possibly do to treat this at home so his skin can go back to normal. thank you

This is a tough one to comment on without actually seeing your dog. But, most of the time when there is a skin lesion like this there is some type of infection present. It could be a bacterial infection or it could be a fungal infection such as ringworm.

If this is an infection then it will definitely need prescription medications in order to clear up. Over the counter creams and sprays are not very effective.

Most skin infections need oral antibiotics for a period of a few weeks.

It sounds like it's a good idea to have your vet take a look!

Vomiting and not eating. Hi, I'm desperate to find out how to help my dog. 9 days ago (Monday night) she woke... (25110 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (10528 views)

Won't eat kidney diet. My cat is 17 years old. She has kidney disease and has been on kidney food (both... (12508 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (60201 views)

Light sensitivity in older cat. Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills... (9335 views)

urinating in the house Dr. Marie, Isabella is a healthy 13 yr old female cat. For a short period we... (6192 views)

Eyes rolled back in head. About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot.... (40677 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (6999 views)

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (27249 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (15682 views)