Help cats to get along.

Breed: 1 male and 1 femail
Hello my name is kristbjorg and im from iceland.
I have a cat thats 8 months old and i just got a nother one whom i safed from death she was found ouside in bad shape and she is only 5 weeks old and fhew days and my older cat is kind rugh to her and tends to bite her a bit hard at times and he all so licks her ones in a while inbtween and stuff like that im just worried a bout the rugh beeting hes given her ? she has her own litterbox at the moment and he has his own she is at the moment in a diffrent room to him shes in the bed room and he has the bigger aria for the time been, if only had her for 2 days now from this date 24.6.2010 i need to lock her in the room when ever i got to work becaus im so afraid that he will hurt her more when im not there ,, im wondering if im doing something wrong or if there is anything eals i can do or if this is a normal behaviore for my older cat to treet her like that and been so rugh ,,, and if this will be alright and he gets used her slowly?

I hope you understand my english and im sorry how poorly it is ..
Best whises Kristbjorg

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your cats.

It can often take some time for two cats to learn to get along with each other. In most cases they do learn to live well with each other.

Has your older cat been neutered (castrated) yet? If not, he is at the age where he is starting to get some hormones. He may be trying to breed with the younger cat. If this is the case, you will see that he is biting her on the neck. If so, then he really should be neutered.

It is a good idea to keep them separated and allow them to have a little bit of supervised time with each other each day.

You may also want to look into a product called Feliway that produces a substance called a pheromone that helps cats to feel good. It often helps in cases of intercat aggression.

Thanks for your question Kristbjorg! Your English is just fine!

Myasthenia gravis I am grieving the loss of my beloved companion who was euthanized on May 18, 2011.... (19279 views)

Ferret with hair loss and wobbliness. My ferett has lost all hair on back and i came home today and he is extremly wobbly... (16124 views)

Exercise induced collapse. I have a labrador retriever and she is about 4 years old, 60 lbs and she is a girl.... (5307 views)

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (4494 views)

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (6629 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (16620 views)

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (9710 views)

Cat licking at belly. My Cat has been licking and cleaning her abdomen untill she as removed most of the... (6508 views)

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (39891 views)

ECG for heart murmur? Hi, We have an 8 year old european shorthair cat who was recently diagnosed as... (8217 views)