Help cats to get along.

Breed: 1 male and 1 femail
Hello my name is kristbjorg and im from iceland.
I have a cat thats 8 months old and i just got a nother one whom i safed from death she was found ouside in bad shape and she is only 5 weeks old and fhew days and my older cat is kind rugh to her and tends to bite her a bit hard at times and he all so licks her ones in a while inbtween and stuff like that im just worried a bout the rugh beeting hes given her ? she has her own litterbox at the moment and he has his own she is at the moment in a diffrent room to him shes in the bed room and he has the bigger aria for the time been, if only had her for 2 days now from this date 24.6.2010 i need to lock her in the room when ever i got to work becaus im so afraid that he will hurt her more when im not there ,, im wondering if im doing something wrong or if there is anything eals i can do or if this is a normal behaviore for my older cat to treet her like that and been so rugh ,,, and if this will be alright and he gets used her slowly?

I hope you understand my english and im sorry how poorly it is ..
Best whises Kristbjorg

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your cats.

It can often take some time for two cats to learn to get along with each other. In most cases they do learn to live well with each other.

Has your older cat been neutered (castrated) yet? If not, he is at the age where he is starting to get some hormones. He may be trying to breed with the younger cat. If this is the case, you will see that he is biting her on the neck. If so, then he really should be neutered.

It is a good idea to keep them separated and allow them to have a little bit of supervised time with each other each day.

You may also want to look into a product called Feliway that produces a substance called a pheromone that helps cats to feel good. It often helps in cases of intercat aggression.

Thanks for your question Kristbjorg! Your English is just fine!

Why do cats lick plastic? I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me... (25865 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (10050 views)

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (7783 views)

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (13211 views)

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (24448 views)

Dog gagging and coughing. My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does... (239390 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (16109 views)

Arthritis medicine I have a 10 month old Pomeranian who appears to have hip problems. I am very low... (7296 views)

Rare form hepatitis. I got Sadie in January this year. She is a rescue. She's been sick since February.... (4453 views)

Watery diarrhea. My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began... (5026 views)