Help cats to get along.

Breed: 1 male and 1 femail
Hello my name is kristbjorg and im from iceland.
I have a cat thats 8 months old and i just got a nother one whom i safed from death she was found ouside in bad shape and she is only 5 weeks old and fhew days and my older cat is kind rugh to her and tends to bite her a bit hard at times and he all so licks her ones in a while inbtween and stuff like that im just worried a bout the rugh beeting hes given her ? she has her own litterbox at the moment and he has his own she is at the moment in a diffrent room to him shes in the bed room and he has the bigger aria for the time been, if only had her for 2 days now from this date 24.6.2010 i need to lock her in the room when ever i got to work becaus im so afraid that he will hurt her more when im not there ,, im wondering if im doing something wrong or if there is anything eals i can do or if this is a normal behaviore for my older cat to treet her like that and been so rugh ,,, and if this will be alright and he gets used her slowly?

I hope you understand my english and im sorry how poorly it is ..
Best whises Kristbjorg

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your cats.

It can often take some time for two cats to learn to get along with each other. In most cases they do learn to live well with each other.

Has your older cat been neutered (castrated) yet? If not, he is at the age where he is starting to get some hormones. He may be trying to breed with the younger cat. If this is the case, you will see that he is biting her on the neck. If so, then he really should be neutered.

It is a good idea to keep them separated and allow them to have a little bit of supervised time with each other each day.

You may also want to look into a product called Feliway that produces a substance called a pheromone that helps cats to feel good. It often helps in cases of intercat aggression.

Thanks for your question Kristbjorg! Your English is just fine!

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (34018 views)

Cat peeing on the carpet. My cat will not stop urinating on the carpet, she has seen a vet and has no medical... (12704 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (53919 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (8072 views)

Is my cat pregnant? we just opened our home to a female stray cat. i estimated her to be a year old or... (9570 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (10838 views)

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (8115 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He... (10363 views)

Seizures and not eating. Earlier in the week Cash had a pee/poop/vomit fest in the house, unusual for him. ... (8036 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (9537 views)