Help cats to get along.

Breed: 1 male and 1 femail
Hello my name is kristbjorg and im from iceland.
I have a cat thats 8 months old and i just got a nother one whom i safed from death she was found ouside in bad shape and she is only 5 weeks old and fhew days and my older cat is kind rugh to her and tends to bite her a bit hard at times and he all so licks her ones in a while inbtween and stuff like that im just worried a bout the rugh beeting hes given her ? she has her own litterbox at the moment and he has his own she is at the moment in a diffrent room to him shes in the bed room and he has the bigger aria for the time been, if only had her for 2 days now from this date 24.6.2010 i need to lock her in the room when ever i got to work becaus im so afraid that he will hurt her more when im not there ,, im wondering if im doing something wrong or if there is anything eals i can do or if this is a normal behaviore for my older cat to treet her like that and been so rugh ,,, and if this will be alright and he gets used her slowly?

I hope you understand my english and im sorry how poorly it is ..
Best whises Kristbjorg

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your cats.

It can often take some time for two cats to learn to get along with each other. In most cases they do learn to live well with each other.

Has your older cat been neutered (castrated) yet? If not, he is at the age where he is starting to get some hormones. He may be trying to breed with the younger cat. If this is the case, you will see that he is biting her on the neck. If so, then he really should be neutered.

It is a good idea to keep them separated and allow them to have a little bit of supervised time with each other each day.

You may also want to look into a product called Feliway that produces a substance called a pheromone that helps cats to feel good. It often helps in cases of intercat aggression.

Thanks for your question Kristbjorg! Your English is just fine!

Dog can't bark. I just recent spayed my dog this summer and i recently noticed that her bark sounds... (21833 views)

Dogs with occasional diarrhea. I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5... (30605 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (10546 views)

Coughing kitten. I have a 6 wk old rescued kitten who in the past 2 days has developed a horrible... (13021 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (22893 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (4572 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (7021 views)

Meds safe for small dog? Good evening! I recently adopted a toy poodle. She is currently 4 months old (DOB... (6375 views)

Grief after dog passed away. I recently lost my 13 year old German Shepherd mix. She is my first dog. My... (6370 views)

Straining to urinate. I have an 8 year old yellow lab named Chloie. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (4096 views)