Help cats to get along.

Breed: 1 male and 1 femail
Hello my name is kristbjorg and im from iceland.
I have a cat thats 8 months old and i just got a nother one whom i safed from death she was found ouside in bad shape and she is only 5 weeks old and fhew days and my older cat is kind rugh to her and tends to bite her a bit hard at times and he all so licks her ones in a while inbtween and stuff like that im just worried a bout the rugh beeting hes given her ? she has her own litterbox at the moment and he has his own she is at the moment in a diffrent room to him shes in the bed room and he has the bigger aria for the time been, if only had her for 2 days now from this date 24.6.2010 i need to lock her in the room when ever i got to work becaus im so afraid that he will hurt her more when im not there ,, im wondering if im doing something wrong or if there is anything eals i can do or if this is a normal behaviore for my older cat to treet her like that and been so rugh ,,, and if this will be alright and he gets used her slowly?

I hope you understand my english and im sorry how poorly it is ..
Best whises Kristbjorg

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your cats.

It can often take some time for two cats to learn to get along with each other. In most cases they do learn to live well with each other.

Has your older cat been neutered (castrated) yet? If not, he is at the age where he is starting to get some hormones. He may be trying to breed with the younger cat. If this is the case, you will see that he is biting her on the neck. If so, then he really should be neutered.

It is a good idea to keep them separated and allow them to have a little bit of supervised time with each other each day.

You may also want to look into a product called Feliway that produces a substance called a pheromone that helps cats to feel good. It often helps in cases of intercat aggression.

Thanks for your question Kristbjorg! Your English is just fine!

Dog is scratching his ear. For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on... (19047 views)

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (13120 views)

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (8268 views)

Cat with diarrhea but eating. My 12 year old tabby had watery diarrhea and vomited 1 night ago. I took food away... (26798 views)

Brown spots on belly. Hello, I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I... (24037 views)

Arthritis prevention. I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know... (6873 views)

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (9268 views)

Itchy scrotum after grooming. Our dog is constantly licking his area where his testicles used to be (he is... (36681 views)

See the vet for dog bite? Daisy was bitten my my other dog in 2 places. It bled moderately and I gently bathed... (6818 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (31794 views)