Does dog saliva heal a wound?

Breed: Black lab
Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a minor wound or scratch, is there actually an antiseptic effect that sooths the affected areas?

This is an interesting question! I was about to tell you that this was completely an old wive's tale, but then I did some research. I'm not sure that I've come to any conclusions though!

Check out this study. It found that canine saliva did have a mild antibacterial effect against certain types of bacteria.

But, then check out this article which looked at several cases where people got infections because of being in contact with dog saliva. These people actually died because of these infections! And, in one of those cases there was no bite wound from the dog, just droplets of saliva.

It looks to me like there could be some very mild benefit to letting a dog lick your wound, but there could be some serious side effects. In my opinion the risks outweigh the benefits! So, if I have a wound, no dog is going to lick it! :)

High ALP in a pug. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 7yr old female Pug. She was getting "pyoderma" every few... (24973 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (4031 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (13405 views)

Senior cat not eating and losing weight. My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly... (7515 views)

Painful after grooming. My dog, Codey (6 yr old rescue cockapoo) went to the groomer yesterday to get... (7001 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (11013 views)

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (10055 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (7466 views)

Shelter cats with infection. Hello My friend told me I should talk to you about what is going on at the animal... (2348 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (12132 views)