Does dog saliva heal a wound?

Breed: Black lab
Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a minor wound or scratch, is there actually an antiseptic effect that sooths the affected areas?

This is an interesting question! I was about to tell you that this was completely an old wive's tale, but then I did some research. I'm not sure that I've come to any conclusions though!

Check out this study. It found that canine saliva did have a mild antibacterial effect against certain types of bacteria.

But, then check out this article which looked at several cases where people got infections because of being in contact with dog saliva. These people actually died because of these infections! And, in one of those cases there was no bite wound from the dog, just droplets of saliva.

It looks to me like there could be some very mild benefit to letting a dog lick your wound, but there could be some serious side effects. In my opinion the risks outweigh the benefits! So, if I have a wound, no dog is going to lick it! :)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (9685 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (10585 views)

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (74420 views)

Cat with crusty areas. Hello, I'd like some advice on diagnosis and treatment for my cat. She has had... (14148 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (12103 views)

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (10613 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (9576 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (16130 views)

vet question Dear Madame Veterinarian: Our Siberian has one of the best pedigrees we could've... (11634 views)

Old dog with mammary lump Gizmo, our shihtzu is naturally slowing due to age- her hearing is gone - her sight... (11397 views)