Does dog saliva heal a wound?

Breed: Black lab
Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a minor wound or scratch, is there actually an antiseptic effect that sooths the affected areas?

This is an interesting question! I was about to tell you that this was completely an old wive's tale, but then I did some research. I'm not sure that I've come to any conclusions though!

Check out this study. It found that canine saliva did have a mild antibacterial effect against certain types of bacteria.

But, then check out this article which looked at several cases where people got infections because of being in contact with dog saliva. These people actually died because of these infections! And, in one of those cases there was no bite wound from the dog, just droplets of saliva.

It looks to me like there could be some very mild benefit to letting a dog lick your wound, but there could be some serious side effects. In my opinion the risks outweigh the benefits! So, if I have a wound, no dog is going to lick it! :)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (20975 views)

Getting cat to lose weight. Dear Dr Marie, We have just adopted a fat cat, and are trying to reduce his weight.... (6581 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (42362 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (19702 views)

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (15870 views)

Stopped prednisolone suddenly. Hi Dr. Marie, My 2.5 year old cat, Pebbles, was diagnosed with pretty severe... (23889 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (10905 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. I have a 8-year-old golden retriever that has been vomiting for the past 36 hours. ... (16459 views)

Trouble walking. On Wednesday evening we called our dogs for dinnertime, and our 10 year old Alaskan... (18792 views)

Is parvo contagious? I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now.... (9759 views)