Does dog saliva heal a wound?

Breed: Black lab
Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a minor wound or scratch, is there actually an antiseptic effect that sooths the affected areas?

This is an interesting question! I was about to tell you that this was completely an old wive's tale, but then I did some research. I'm not sure that I've come to any conclusions though!

Check out this study. It found that canine saliva did have a mild antibacterial effect against certain types of bacteria.

But, then check out this article which looked at several cases where people got infections because of being in contact with dog saliva. These people actually died because of these infections! And, in one of those cases there was no bite wound from the dog, just droplets of saliva.

It looks to me like there could be some very mild benefit to letting a dog lick your wound, but there could be some serious side effects. In my opinion the risks outweigh the benefits! So, if I have a wound, no dog is going to lick it! :)

Dog can't pee. I was outside today and I looked over at my dog. He bent over to pee but no pee... (10852 views)

GNRH implant I am asking about the GnRH implant to bring a dog into heat. MY FIRST MAIN... (9562 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (9203 views)

Purple feces. Why is my dog's poop... (10046 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (16211 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (12305 views)

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (10196 views)

Bleeding anal glands. My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal... (4923 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (8717 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (16333 views)