Does dog saliva heal a wound?

Breed: Black lab
Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a minor wound or scratch, is there actually an antiseptic effect that sooths the affected areas?

This is an interesting question! I was about to tell you that this was completely an old wive's tale, but then I did some research. I'm not sure that I've come to any conclusions though!

Check out this study. It found that canine saliva did have a mild antibacterial effect against certain types of bacteria.

But, then check out this article which looked at several cases where people got infections because of being in contact with dog saliva. These people actually died because of these infections! And, in one of those cases there was no bite wound from the dog, just droplets of saliva.

It looks to me like there could be some very mild benefit to letting a dog lick your wound, but there could be some serious side effects. In my opinion the risks outweigh the benefits! So, if I have a wound, no dog is going to lick it! :)

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (29233 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (23531 views)

Wounds by anus. hello, i have a boxer and it is the third time that he has some kind of wound inside... (18709 views)

Something in throat? Husband won't let me take cat to vet..childrens pet. Cat stopped eating a few days... (32168 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (5394 views)

Garlic or Vinegar for fleas? My little Lady has been to the vet and has received a flea treatment that went... (10609 views)

Raw, sore nose. Hi there I have a 5 year old Malamute named Mika about a year ago she was attatcked... (8441 views)

Dog leaking urine. Good Evening. Charlot is a rescued dog so I do know his history prior to his new... (12837 views)

Dog urinating in the house. I really need help, i have a dog that is now one and a half years old, hes a cross... (9376 views)

Not eating, blood tests normal. Hello, Dr. Marie. I'm actually asking this question for my parents about their cat,... (17951 views)