Does dog saliva heal a wound?

Breed: Black lab
Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a minor wound or scratch, is there actually an antiseptic effect that sooths the affected areas?

This is an interesting question! I was about to tell you that this was completely an old wive's tale, but then I did some research. I'm not sure that I've come to any conclusions though!

Check out this study. It found that canine saliva did have a mild antibacterial effect against certain types of bacteria.

But, then check out this article which looked at several cases where people got infections because of being in contact with dog saliva. These people actually died because of these infections! And, in one of those cases there was no bite wound from the dog, just droplets of saliva.

It looks to me like there could be some very mild benefit to letting a dog lick your wound, but there could be some serious side effects. In my opinion the risks outweigh the benefits! So, if I have a wound, no dog is going to lick it! :)

Green smelly teeth. Dweeb has greenish slime on her gums and pain when biting. I tried washing it out... (20712 views)

3 week old kitten with diarrhea. i have a kitten that is 3 weeks old and she has diarrhea and also i wanted to know... (9714 views)

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (4966 views)

High liver enzymes. I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming... (8828 views)

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (12478 views)

Dog drinking and panting lots. my dog has been drinking and panting a lot since i changed his dog food last summer.... (9238 views)

Does parvo affect sperm? My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo... (6778 views)

Ear Cleaning. I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs... (21705 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (92143 views)

Trifexis overdose. My approx 4-5lb teacup Pomeranian ate HALF of the Trifexis meant for a 60-120lb dog... (3055 views)