Does dog saliva heal a wound?

Breed: Black lab
Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a minor wound or scratch, is there actually an antiseptic effect that sooths the affected areas?

This is an interesting question! I was about to tell you that this was completely an old wive's tale, but then I did some research. I'm not sure that I've come to any conclusions though!

Check out this study. It found that canine saliva did have a mild antibacterial effect against certain types of bacteria.

But, then check out this article which looked at several cases where people got infections because of being in contact with dog saliva. These people actually died because of these infections! And, in one of those cases there was no bite wound from the dog, just droplets of saliva.

It looks to me like there could be some very mild benefit to letting a dog lick your wound, but there could be some serious side effects. In my opinion the risks outweigh the benefits! So, if I have a wound, no dog is going to lick it! :)

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (39343 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (8857 views)

Snorting dog My dog has been sneezing and once ina while making a coughing sound...like snoring. ... (22219 views)

Dog drinks every 20 minutes. I have a 10 year old chihuahua and she is drinking alot of water...she is eating... (14513 views)

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (17344 views)

Pine bedding and gerbils. Hi, We noticed that our gerbil was lethargic, eyes closed, breathing rapidly. I... (5884 views)

Possible elbow hygroma. I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini... (21744 views)

Papaya leaf extract for cancer? Hi, Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. ... (7934 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (6805 views)

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (9106 views)