Does dog saliva heal a wound?

Breed: Black lab
Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a minor wound or scratch, is there actually an antiseptic effect that sooths the affected areas?

This is an interesting question! I was about to tell you that this was completely an old wive's tale, but then I did some research. I'm not sure that I've come to any conclusions though!

Check out this study. It found that canine saliva did have a mild antibacterial effect against certain types of bacteria.

But, then check out this article which looked at several cases where people got infections because of being in contact with dog saliva. These people actually died because of these infections! And, in one of those cases there was no bite wound from the dog, just droplets of saliva.

It looks to me like there could be some very mild benefit to letting a dog lick your wound, but there could be some serious side effects. In my opinion the risks outweigh the benefits! So, if I have a wound, no dog is going to lick it! :)

Peeing outside of box. Hi Dr Marie, My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was... (8307 views)

Swollen neck on cat. My cat was been experiencing avswollen upper neck and underneath chin. It has... (25459 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (11791 views)

Breeding big and small dogs. My little girl--weight 11 lbs-- got possibly impregnated (accicdentally--he broke... (71843 views)

Should cat have her teeth cleaned? My 13 year old cat recently went for a wellness vet visit at a new vet. The vet... (11174 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (28148 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is 17 years old. She has had kidney disease for five years. I have multiple... (19956 views)

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (73892 views)

Vomiting after allergy injection My sister took my dog to the vet yesterday where she recieved a shot to stop itching... (14779 views)

Red sores on mouth. My dog has developed sores or bubbley looking things round her mouth. They get... (13660 views)