Does dog saliva heal a wound?

Breed: Black lab
Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a minor wound or scratch, is there actually an antiseptic effect that sooths the affected areas?

This is an interesting question! I was about to tell you that this was completely an old wive's tale, but then I did some research. I'm not sure that I've come to any conclusions though!

Check out this study. It found that canine saliva did have a mild antibacterial effect against certain types of bacteria.

But, then check out this article which looked at several cases where people got infections because of being in contact with dog saliva. These people actually died because of these infections! And, in one of those cases there was no bite wound from the dog, just droplets of saliva.

It looks to me like there could be some very mild benefit to letting a dog lick your wound, but there could be some serious side effects. In my opinion the risks outweigh the benefits! So, if I have a wound, no dog is going to lick it! :)

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (8846 views)

Vaginal discharge Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a... (9264 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (5300 views)

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (3499 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (16461 views)

Cat won't use litter box. I have a 7 month old female cat, I have had her vet checked and she has no problems.... (7475 views)

Red gums next to baby teeth. Hi Dr, This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded... (10321 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (10944 views)

Repeated ear infections. Hi! My dog Opie is a five-and-a-half-year-old, male (neutered) red sable... (10017 views)

How to get cat to lose weight? Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my... (3444 views)