Corn in dog food.

Breed: Boxer
I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and citric acid can lead to bloat? Should I avoid foods with said ingredients? What food do you recommend?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

Ah, the everlasting corn debate!

It is so difficult these days to know what is a good dog food and what is not.

Personally, I don't have a problem with corn in dog food, but you will find many people who disagree with me.

I spent a lot of time researching your question to see if there was any scientific evidence for or against corn in dog food and all I could find were people's opinions.

So, here are some facts:

• Dog food needs to be made with some kind of filler / binder. Corn is an inexpensive product to use and works well. However, if there is no corn in the food then there needs to be another type of binder such as starch or tapioca. Personally, I would prefer to eat corn.

• There have been some cases of aflatoxin contamination associated with corn in dog food. This is definitely a serious problem...but fortunately not a common one.

• Many people will blame corn for allergies in dogs. While it is possible for dogs to be allergic to corn, it is not common. It is much more likely for dogs to be allergic to beef, wheat, eggs, chicken or fish.

There is really no evidence that I can find to show that corn is bad in dog food.

Regarding bloat, we really don't know what causes it. Bloat occurs when the stomach fills with air and then twists. Any food that ferments in the stomach can contribute to this. Or, gulping air by eating too fast can be a factor. However, no one really knows what causes bloat. I have not heard or seen evidence that alfalfa, brewers yeast or citric acid cause bloat. However, there really is no reason to give any of these ingredients to dogs.

Puppies with dandruff. We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it... (7462 views)

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (16353 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (12177 views)

Heterochromia in a cat. I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow... (12103 views)

Not using litter box. For the past several months she has decided to stop using the litter box to poop in.... (11468 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (5853 views)

Lethargic after Trifexis. Hello, Thank you for your help. My beagle, Daisy (25 lbs), ate her dose of... (26716 views)

Can a neutered dog breed? Hi, I have a 2 year old chihuahua weighs 4 pounds named Frenchy Fry. I nuetered him... (27074 views)

Vomiting after eating. My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip'... (25413 views)

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (34276 views)