Corn in dog food.

Breed: Boxer
I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and citric acid can lead to bloat? Should I avoid foods with said ingredients? What food do you recommend?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

Ah, the everlasting corn debate!

It is so difficult these days to know what is a good dog food and what is not.

Personally, I don't have a problem with corn in dog food, but you will find many people who disagree with me.

I spent a lot of time researching your question to see if there was any scientific evidence for or against corn in dog food and all I could find were people's opinions.

So, here are some facts:

• Dog food needs to be made with some kind of filler / binder. Corn is an inexpensive product to use and works well. However, if there is no corn in the food then there needs to be another type of binder such as starch or tapioca. Personally, I would prefer to eat corn.

• There have been some cases of aflatoxin contamination associated with corn in dog food. This is definitely a serious problem...but fortunately not a common one.

• Many people will blame corn for allergies in dogs. While it is possible for dogs to be allergic to corn, it is not common. It is much more likely for dogs to be allergic to beef, wheat, eggs, chicken or fish.

There is really no evidence that I can find to show that corn is bad in dog food.

Regarding bloat, we really don't know what causes it. Bloat occurs when the stomach fills with air and then twists. Any food that ferments in the stomach can contribute to this. Or, gulping air by eating too fast can be a factor. However, no one really knows what causes bloat. I have not heard or seen evidence that alfalfa, brewers yeast or citric acid cause bloat. However, there really is no reason to give any of these ingredients to dogs.

Abscess on paw. has a very swollen front paw that spilt open between middle toes puss and blood ... (43286 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (9429 views)

Bladder surgery? How painful/stressful is bladder surgery for a fearful barn cat? A few days ago I... (15703 views)

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (7941 views)

Trifexis overdose. My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. ... (59819 views)

How often to bathe a dog? I have a black lab that just turned 4. She has relatively short hair, how often... (7386 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (29745 views)

Does my dog have a gait problem? Hi Dr. I'm hoping this is a trivial question. As the email pic shows, the... (15810 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (38988 views)

Testosterone injection for cryptorchidism. I have a Mini French Poodle and he is about 1 year old and he only has one testicle... (6325 views)