Corn in dog food.

Breed: Boxer
I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and citric acid can lead to bloat? Should I avoid foods with said ingredients? What food do you recommend?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

Ah, the everlasting corn debate!

It is so difficult these days to know what is a good dog food and what is not.

Personally, I don't have a problem with corn in dog food, but you will find many people who disagree with me.

I spent a lot of time researching your question to see if there was any scientific evidence for or against corn in dog food and all I could find were people's opinions.

So, here are some facts:

• Dog food needs to be made with some kind of filler / binder. Corn is an inexpensive product to use and works well. However, if there is no corn in the food then there needs to be another type of binder such as starch or tapioca. Personally, I would prefer to eat corn.

• There have been some cases of aflatoxin contamination associated with corn in dog food. This is definitely a serious problem...but fortunately not a common one.

• Many people will blame corn for allergies in dogs. While it is possible for dogs to be allergic to corn, it is not common. It is much more likely for dogs to be allergic to beef, wheat, eggs, chicken or fish.

There is really no evidence that I can find to show that corn is bad in dog food.

Regarding bloat, we really don't know what causes it. Bloat occurs when the stomach fills with air and then twists. Any food that ferments in the stomach can contribute to this. Or, gulping air by eating too fast can be a factor. However, no one really knows what causes bloat. I have not heard or seen evidence that alfalfa, brewers yeast or citric acid cause bloat. However, there really is no reason to give any of these ingredients to dogs.

Reduce allergies to cats. I'm allergic to cats but I would love to have one. I've recently heard that there is... (9242 views)

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (26702 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (9588 views)

Lethargic after Trifexis. Hello, Thank you for your help. My beagle, Daisy (25 lbs), ate her dose of... (29305 views)

Best ringworm treatment. We adopted Milo (5 months) from a shelter 2 weeks ago. He has two patches where skin... (12919 views)

Joint pain in a dog. Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some... (16585 views)

Too young for euthanasia? Is there an age too young for... (6580 views)

Previous leg injury. Dear Dr Marie, Recently I've taken in a rescued Greyhound. I immediately noticed,... (18527 views)

Severe skin problems. My dog Leila started licking on 8/1/12. Her spots looked like hot spots on elbows... (8207 views)

lump on spay incision Hello Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed 5 days ago. Her incision looks wonderful... (28357 views)