Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Vomiting and diarrhea.

Species: Dog
Breed: St bernard
Age: 3-6 months
My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He was at the vet for an ear infection a few weeks ago. He has drank water and kept that down mostly. He has also had diarhea with this and has been a little lethargic. He does have what sounds like a little congestion with it but dont think thats connected.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Brutus is not feeling well. I tend to get concerned when dogs this young are vomiting and not wanting to eat. It usually is a sign of something serious.

Has Brutus had all of his recommended vaccinations so far? If not, I would be concerned about parvo virus. Parvo can be treated but needs intensive hospital care. Distemper is a virus that can cause congestion but we don't usually see vomiting and diarrhea with it.

It's also possible that he has an intestinal parasite such as giardia or coccidia. These parasites are not killed by regular dewormers but need special medication to be treated.

Puppies don't do well fighting against dehydration, so anytime I have a puppy that has gone more than 24 hours with vomiting and not eating I usually want to treat it with fluids in the hospital.

Unfortunately it sounds like Brutus is going to need to go back to the vet's as soon as possible. They can test for parvo and also for parasite and treat him with some fluids and some medication to help stop vomiting.

For tonight you can try offering him small amounts of unsweetened pedialyte. You can buy this at the pharmacy. It's meant for children with diarrhea. Unfortunately there really isn't an over the counter medicine for diarrhea or vomiting that I would consider safe for him.

I really hope he does ok.

Dr. Marie.



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

He is 6 years not six months will that change anything


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

This does change things a little bit. It makes a virus such as parvo virus or distemper less likely.

In an adult dog I usually will feel more comfortable with waiting for 2 days or so to see if he will get over this on his own. In this time period I recommend 24 hours with no food followed by small meals of cooked chicken and rice. This way, if it is just some intestinal upset, say, from something he ate, then this should do the trick.

However, if Brutus is vomiting for a week then it is best to have your vet see him.

It's possible that he has pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas). If this is the case he may need a hospital stay for a few days. It's also possible that he has a foreign object in his stomach or intestines. Parasites are still a possibility.

The pedialyte is still a good idea for him for tonight.

I hope he does ok!
I will be offline for the rest of the evening, but I'll check in on you in the morning in case you have more questions.

Dr. Marie.



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (4868 views)

Ectopic ureter or pelvic bladder? My dog ziggy is almost a year old. I got him at 6 months. He has a urination... (39610 views)

Salt lick for dogs? My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect)... (46585 views)

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (9426 views)

Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cats. My cat is aged 9. She was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas aeruginosa which is... (32794 views)

Can dogs eat carrots? hi i have a rabbit and a dog. the dog is a shoodle cross between shitzu and a... (13575 views)

Rottweiler urinating frequently. my dog has getting let out all the time and and and recently she has been weeing... (7855 views)

Can you die from a cat bite? hello dr.marie.i am too small to pay your fees but scared that i am not getting any... (18492 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (10938 views)

Swollen hip in Golden. We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so... (4806 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.