Vomiting and diarrhea.

Breed: St bernard
My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He was at the vet for an ear infection a few weeks ago. He has drank water and kept that down mostly. He has also had diarhea with this and has been a little lethargic. He does have what sounds like a little congestion with it but dont think thats connected.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Brutus is not feeling well. I tend to get concerned when dogs this young are vomiting and not wanting to eat. It usually is a sign of something serious.

Has Brutus had all of his recommended vaccinations so far? If not, I would be concerned about parvo virus. Parvo can be treated but needs intensive hospital care. Distemper is a virus that can cause congestion but we don't usually see vomiting and diarrhea with it.

It's also possible that he has an intestinal parasite such as giardia or coccidia. These parasites are not killed by regular dewormers but need special medication to be treated.

Puppies don't do well fighting against dehydration, so anytime I have a puppy that has gone more than 24 hours with vomiting and not eating I usually want to treat it with fluids in the hospital.

Unfortunately it sounds like Brutus is going to need to go back to the vet's as soon as possible. They can test for parvo and also for parasite and treat him with some fluids and some medication to help stop vomiting.

For tonight you can try offering him small amounts of unsweetened pedialyte. You can buy this at the pharmacy. It's meant for children with diarrhea. Unfortunately there really isn't an over the counter medicine for diarrhea or vomiting that I would consider safe for him.

I really hope he does ok.

He is 6 years not six months will that change anything

This does change things a little bit. It makes a virus such as parvo virus or distemper less likely.

In an adult dog I usually will feel more comfortable with waiting for 2 days or so to see if he will get over this on his own. In this time period I recommend 24 hours with no food followed by small meals of cooked chicken and rice. This way, if it is just some intestinal upset, say, from something he ate, then this should do the trick.

However, if Brutus is vomiting for a week then it is best to have your vet see him.

It's possible that he has pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas). If this is the case he may need a hospital stay for a few days. It's also possible that he has a foreign object in his stomach or intestines. Parasites are still a possibility.

The pedialyte is still a good idea for him for tonight.

I hope he does ok!
I will be offline for the rest of the evening, but I'll check in on you in the morning in case you have more questions.

Dog looks thin. I have a 9 1/2 year old Yorkshire Terrier. Recently she has begun to get thin. I... (18097 views)

Puppy ate grapes. My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9... (12784 views)

Needs anal glands done again. I just took Chloe to the vet last weekend because she was skooting and her vet... (9134 views)

Lump where umbilicus was. Hi, I have a kitten who is 4 weeks and a few days. Ive noticed today that where the... (19418 views)

Dasuquin causing allergies. About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet &... (14626 views)

Light colored diarrhea. Yesterday my husband and I purchased our new family addition and his brother. Last... (36021 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (13027 views)

Foods unsafe for dogs? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his... (10338 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (9584 views)

How much should a dog sleep? I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed... (8749 views)