Vomiting and diarrhea.

Breed: St bernard
My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He was at the vet for an ear infection a few weeks ago. He has drank water and kept that down mostly. He has also had diarhea with this and has been a little lethargic. He does have what sounds like a little congestion with it but dont think thats connected.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Brutus is not feeling well. I tend to get concerned when dogs this young are vomiting and not wanting to eat. It usually is a sign of something serious.

Has Brutus had all of his recommended vaccinations so far? If not, I would be concerned about parvo virus. Parvo can be treated but needs intensive hospital care. Distemper is a virus that can cause congestion but we don't usually see vomiting and diarrhea with it.

It's also possible that he has an intestinal parasite such as giardia or coccidia. These parasites are not killed by regular dewormers but need special medication to be treated.

Puppies don't do well fighting against dehydration, so anytime I have a puppy that has gone more than 24 hours with vomiting and not eating I usually want to treat it with fluids in the hospital.

Unfortunately it sounds like Brutus is going to need to go back to the vet's as soon as possible. They can test for parvo and also for parasite and treat him with some fluids and some medication to help stop vomiting.

For tonight you can try offering him small amounts of unsweetened pedialyte. You can buy this at the pharmacy. It's meant for children with diarrhea. Unfortunately there really isn't an over the counter medicine for diarrhea or vomiting that I would consider safe for him.

I really hope he does ok.

He is 6 years not six months will that change anything

This does change things a little bit. It makes a virus such as parvo virus or distemper less likely.

In an adult dog I usually will feel more comfortable with waiting for 2 days or so to see if he will get over this on his own. In this time period I recommend 24 hours with no food followed by small meals of cooked chicken and rice. This way, if it is just some intestinal upset, say, from something he ate, then this should do the trick.

However, if Brutus is vomiting for a week then it is best to have your vet see him.

It's possible that he has pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas). If this is the case he may need a hospital stay for a few days. It's also possible that he has a foreign object in his stomach or intestines. Parasites are still a possibility.

The pedialyte is still a good idea for him for tonight.

I hope he does ok!
I will be offline for the rest of the evening, but I'll check in on you in the morning in case you have more questions.

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (8687 views)

Swollen ear with pus. my dogs ear has suddenly become really swollen with what seems like puss it is very... (8190 views)

Albendazole for puppy? Long story short my little over 3 month old puppy has Giardia. Sidenote: she goes... (8519 views)

Ivermectin toxicity? Help! I think that I am accidentally poisoning my boy 4 year old by giving him... (15208 views)

Repeat of parvo? my 3 puppies got parvo last week (6/29/2010)they were only 3 months old and they all... (21090 views)

Bald spot on cat's back. My friend's 1 1/2 yr. old cat has been losing the hair from it's tail for about 10... (39743 views)

Cat with megacolon. My 12-year old cat was diagnosed with megacolon about five years ago. When he looks... (6361 views)

Saddle thrombus in a dog. In a dog, once a blood clot has broken off and is considered a saddle thrombus, how... (7180 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (9145 views)

Food allergy? My pug will be eight in a few months. A few months ago, he started scratching alot.... (6935 views)