Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy.

Breed: Tabby
Hi there,

Ive recently found out I am pregnant (6 weeks) and wanted some advice about the risk of toxoplasmosis from my cat.

So i normally bring water to bed with me and from time to time I'll catch my cat drinking from it. I'm normally so careful but with the dreaded morning sickness etc Ive been lazy and left an old glass there for 2-3 days. So what did I do this morning, reach for and drink from the old glass. Well there was cat fur in the water and this nearly made me sick but now Im panicking about the risk of toxoplasmosis as he is an outdoor cat and does eat mice etc.

What do you think my risk would be and do you think it would be worthwhile getting my cat tested?

Lesson well and truely learnt dishes will be done asap from now on!

Thank-you

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I get asked a lot about toxoplasmosis and I can tell you that from what you have described you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Because I get asked a lot about Toxoplasmosis I wrote an extensive article about it that you can read here:

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy.

There are a few points that are relevant to your situation. In order for you to get toxoplasmosis from your cat, the following would have to happen:
  • You would have to have ingested some stool from your cat. (Just some hair would not be enough - it would have to have actual stool on it.)

• The stool would have to have to be 24-48 hours old.

• Your cat would have to have been infected with toxoplasmosis (i.e. from eating an infected mouse) 5-14 days previously. If the cat had picked up toxo months or years ago, then he would not be currently shedding cysts. They only shed cysts for 5-14 days after eating an infected mouse. This is why testing your cat is not helpful. If he came up +ve for toxoplasmosis he could have been infected years ago and this doesn't mean that he is currently shedding infective cysts.

As you can see, a lot of things have to happen in order for you to get toxoplasmosis from your cat. The vast majority of women who get toxoplasmosis get it from eating undercooked meat. In 13 years of practice I have yet to hear of someone getting toxoplasmosis from their cat.

I hope that helps! And I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well! Let me know if you have more questions.

What breed is my dog? Hello I Always Wanted To Know What Breed Or Type My Dog Is ? It's A Russian Small... (7608 views)

Can I give my dog aspirin? Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It... (26669 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (7403 views)

Worms in kittens. Hey there, I just got two 9 week old kittens. They have had their shots but they... (68309 views)

Loss of muscle mass on one leg. My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He... (22362 views)

Heartworm in a puppy? I recently sold an 11 week old pomeranian on January 24, 2010 due to allergies. I... (12352 views)

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (13118 views)

Cat hair loss. My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out.... (49188 views)

Stopped prednisolone suddenly. Hi Dr. Marie, My 2.5 year old cat, Pebbles, was diagnosed with pretty severe... (19723 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (9041 views)