Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy.

Breed: Tabby
Hi there,

Ive recently found out I am pregnant (6 weeks) and wanted some advice about the risk of toxoplasmosis from my cat.

So i normally bring water to bed with me and from time to time I'll catch my cat drinking from it. I'm normally so careful but with the dreaded morning sickness etc Ive been lazy and left an old glass there for 2-3 days. So what did I do this morning, reach for and drink from the old glass. Well there was cat fur in the water and this nearly made me sick but now Im panicking about the risk of toxoplasmosis as he is an outdoor cat and does eat mice etc.

What do you think my risk would be and do you think it would be worthwhile getting my cat tested?

Lesson well and truely learnt dishes will be done asap from now on!

Thank-you

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I get asked a lot about toxoplasmosis and I can tell you that from what you have described you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Because I get asked a lot about Toxoplasmosis I wrote an extensive article about it that you can read here:

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy.

There are a few points that are relevant to your situation. In order for you to get toxoplasmosis from your cat, the following would have to happen:
  • You would have to have ingested some stool from your cat. (Just some hair would not be enough - it would have to have actual stool on it.)

• The stool would have to have to be 24-48 hours old.

• Your cat would have to have been infected with toxoplasmosis (i.e. from eating an infected mouse) 5-14 days previously. If the cat had picked up toxo months or years ago, then he would not be currently shedding cysts. They only shed cysts for 5-14 days after eating an infected mouse. This is why testing your cat is not helpful. If he came up +ve for toxoplasmosis he could have been infected years ago and this doesn't mean that he is currently shedding infective cysts.

As you can see, a lot of things have to happen in order for you to get toxoplasmosis from your cat. The vast majority of women who get toxoplasmosis get it from eating undercooked meat. In 13 years of practice I have yet to hear of someone getting toxoplasmosis from their cat.

I hope that helps! And I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well! Let me know if you have more questions.

Dog vomiting and limping. as of this morning, Izzy threw up twice, within about 30 seconds, and then stopped.... (93494 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (13816 views)

Diabetic cat with seizures. I've inherited a diabetic cat with a history of seizures. Since bringing him home,... (24513 views)

Bumps on schnauzer. Hi Dr. Marie, Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet... (41377 views)

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (21811 views)

Vet was rough with my cat. I'm curious as to the process of applying anesthetic to a cat. Namely I witnessed my... (11833 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (14138 views)

My kitten died. Hi Dr Marie, We came home on Sunday after a night away (less than 24 hours) to... (15116 views)

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (13711 views)

6 month puppy drinks a lot. I got Bentley at 3 months old. Since the beginning I always felt as if he was... (33443 views)