Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy.

Breed: Tabby
Hi there,

Ive recently found out I am pregnant (6 weeks) and wanted some advice about the risk of toxoplasmosis from my cat.

So i normally bring water to bed with me and from time to time I'll catch my cat drinking from it. I'm normally so careful but with the dreaded morning sickness etc Ive been lazy and left an old glass there for 2-3 days. So what did I do this morning, reach for and drink from the old glass. Well there was cat fur in the water and this nearly made me sick but now Im panicking about the risk of toxoplasmosis as he is an outdoor cat and does eat mice etc.

What do you think my risk would be and do you think it would be worthwhile getting my cat tested?

Lesson well and truely learnt dishes will be done asap from now on!

Thank-you

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I get asked a lot about toxoplasmosis and I can tell you that from what you have described you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Because I get asked a lot about Toxoplasmosis I wrote an extensive article about it that you can read here:

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy.

There are a few points that are relevant to your situation. In order for you to get toxoplasmosis from your cat, the following would have to happen:
  • You would have to have ingested some stool from your cat. (Just some hair would not be enough - it would have to have actual stool on it.)

• The stool would have to have to be 24-48 hours old.

• Your cat would have to have been infected with toxoplasmosis (i.e. from eating an infected mouse) 5-14 days previously. If the cat had picked up toxo months or years ago, then he would not be currently shedding cysts. They only shed cysts for 5-14 days after eating an infected mouse. This is why testing your cat is not helpful. If he came up +ve for toxoplasmosis he could have been infected years ago and this doesn't mean that he is currently shedding infective cysts.

As you can see, a lot of things have to happen in order for you to get toxoplasmosis from your cat. The vast majority of women who get toxoplasmosis get it from eating undercooked meat. In 13 years of practice I have yet to hear of someone getting toxoplasmosis from their cat.

I hope that helps! And I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well! Let me know if you have more questions.

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (10108 views)

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (11719 views)

Cat is burnt on belly. My cat seems to have a burnt patch on her belly. I don't know if this is from... (9433 views)

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (10025 views)

Rimadyl and Otomax. Hi, I have a two part question. The first is Rimadyl dosage for an older dog. My... (10167 views)

Can't move back legs. My cat could not get up using its back legs. Her front legs were working but she... (31239 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (21554 views)

Cat peeing in tub. Hi, DR. Marie; Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box,... (55155 views)

Golden Retriever Losing Weight. Hi my dog is 13 years old ,and tough he acts fine ,and goes walking everyday,he has... (16486 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (14479 views)