Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy.

Breed: Tabby
Hi there,

Ive recently found out I am pregnant (6 weeks) and wanted some advice about the risk of toxoplasmosis from my cat.

So i normally bring water to bed with me and from time to time I'll catch my cat drinking from it. I'm normally so careful but with the dreaded morning sickness etc Ive been lazy and left an old glass there for 2-3 days. So what did I do this morning, reach for and drink from the old glass. Well there was cat fur in the water and this nearly made me sick but now Im panicking about the risk of toxoplasmosis as he is an outdoor cat and does eat mice etc.

What do you think my risk would be and do you think it would be worthwhile getting my cat tested?

Lesson well and truely learnt dishes will be done asap from now on!

Thank-you

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I get asked a lot about toxoplasmosis and I can tell you that from what you have described you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Because I get asked a lot about Toxoplasmosis I wrote an extensive article about it that you can read here:

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy.

There are a few points that are relevant to your situation. In order for you to get toxoplasmosis from your cat, the following would have to happen:
  • You would have to have ingested some stool from your cat. (Just some hair would not be enough - it would have to have actual stool on it.)

• The stool would have to have to be 24-48 hours old.

• Your cat would have to have been infected with toxoplasmosis (i.e. from eating an infected mouse) 5-14 days previously. If the cat had picked up toxo months or years ago, then he would not be currently shedding cysts. They only shed cysts for 5-14 days after eating an infected mouse. This is why testing your cat is not helpful. If he came up +ve for toxoplasmosis he could have been infected years ago and this doesn't mean that he is currently shedding infective cysts.

As you can see, a lot of things have to happen in order for you to get toxoplasmosis from your cat. The vast majority of women who get toxoplasmosis get it from eating undercooked meat. In 13 years of practice I have yet to hear of someone getting toxoplasmosis from their cat.

I hope that helps! And I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well! Let me know if you have more questions.

Chihuahuas with parvo My three puppies are sick i believe they all have parvo. Here are my reasons 1).The... (13002 views)

Senior cat losing weight. Hello, My cat is 11 or 12 years old (he was a rescue kitty I inherited, so I'm... (7399 views)

Eye and ear infections. My dog was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. We are giving her Humulin N. ... (16195 views)

Diabetes and cushings. Doc, I need an objective viewpoint. My 14 yr 3mo old dog Buddy has been diagnosed 3... (28003 views)

Parvo? My English Mastiff started vomiting on Friday. By Saturday he had extremely watery... (18531 views)

Dog ate chicken bones. PLese help me! My 8 year old American Golden just ate cooked chicken bones! What... (149980 views)

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (16198 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (12508 views)

Lungworm from slugs? My dog just licked a small slug. Is there a possibility of a... (12949 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea, sneezing. My 4 month old kitten has vomited twice this morning. He has also coughed and... (21945 views)